PDA

View Full Version : 920th Reserve Wing's 17 rescues were most in Iraq

thedrifter
05-03-03, 06:39 AM
May 02, 2003

920th Reserve Wing's 17 rescues were most in Iraq

By Coralie Carlson
Associated Press Writer

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Three weeks ago, Tony Cunha was flying a Pavehawk helicopter through a night sandstorm as he headed toward Baghdad.
Cuhna’s unit, the 920th Rescue Wing, was called in to rescue two U.S. special forces soldiers who had been ambushed while probing into the city. The unit found the men, cementing its standing with the most U.S. and allied troop rescues during the war in Iraq.

“It was very taxing, if I can use a word other than scary,” Cunha said of his first time in Baghdad through a sandstorm. “It took me to the maximum of what I was capable of doing.”

The two men were stranded behind enemy lines four miles south of Iraq’s capital. One had severe injuries to his leg and the other had severe injuries to his arm. Cuhna said the limbs looked like “hamburger” and said he only looked back once from his pilot’s seat at the front of the HH60-G helicopter.

“CentCom said because of what we did they had a 100 percent chance of survival and a 95 percent chance of keeping their limbs,” said Cunha, who lives in Melbourne.

The saves were two of 17 credited to the Air Force Reserve’s 920th Rescue Wing during the war — more than any other unit during fighting in Iraq, said Elaine Fitzgerald, spokeswoman for the Air and Sea Show in Fort Lauderdale. Cuhna and other members of his wing were meeting the crowds there.

The 920th Rescue Wing is stationed at Patrick Air Force Base, near Cape Canaveral, and had 330 men and women deployed during the Iraq war, said commander Tim Tarchick. In the last two weeks about 130 of those, including Cunha, have returned home.

Master Sgt. Arnold Stocker returned from a six-week deployment in Iraq on April 19 to his wife and two daughters, a 2-year-old and a 10-week-old. Stocker lives in Fort Lauderdale and works as a nurse anesthetist when not serving in the pararescue squad.

Shortly before he left, six members of a Marine reconnaissance team were trapped in the dessert and were being approached by armed Iraqi soldiers.

Stocker rode in a Pavehawk helicopter flying more than 120 mph and about 35 feet to 50 feet off the ground as Iraqi soldiers fired at them.

They arrived just in time to prevent a disaster, said Stoker, who treated the Marines for minor cuts and bruises.

“If we would have waited much longer, it would have been bad,” he said. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group so happy to see us.”

Since the 920th Rescue Group, now called the Rescue Wing, was activated on April 15, 1997, it has been credited with saving more than 600 lives.

The squad had previously patrolled the no-fly zone in northern Iraq. After Sept. 11, 2001, about 400 members were called up to serve in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Southern Watch, patrolling the no-fly zone over southern Iraq.

In addition to the air wing’s search and rescue duties, it also assists in space shuttle launches at Cape Canaveral and performs civilian humanitarian rescues.

During launches, both manned and unmanned, the men and women of the 920th patrol the launch hazard area to keep boats away so they won’t get hit by rocket debris. They’re also on hand to rescue the astronauts if there is a problem during a launch.

After Hurricane Andrew in 1992, the squadron rescued 137 south Florida residents and in 1993 in Tampa, they rescued 93 elderly residents from rising flood waters. The squadron saved 200 people during Hurricane Floyd in North Carolina in 1999.

Sempers,

Roger