PDA

View Full Version : help

03Infantry
05-02-03, 03:45 PM
I could use some help. When I deped in last year MEPS told me I had mild flat foot. I need to get some arch supports but am not sure if I can take them to bootcamp. I have looked on this site and in my white booklet and am still not sure. Thanks

mrbsox
05-02-03, 04:34 PM
What does YOUR recruiter tell you???

Silver_XAT
05-04-03, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't bring them. In fact, dont bring them unless you've been told to specifically because everything you bring with you will be taken as soon as you arrive. From what I saw when I was in processing there were NO exceptions. You will have the opportunity to buy them at the recruit PX at some point... within the first 3 weeks. Imagining a recruit, trying to explain to a processing drill instructor that he thinks he needs arch support and should be allowed to keep them in his pocket for the next couple days of processing and gear issue, is just so far out there I can't imagine it. See where I'm going with this? Once again I'd like to point out that if your recruiter tells you something different you would be wise to do it exactly as he/she says.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-05-03, 12:06 PM
I am not an expert on this matter, but I can tell you what I would do, or what I would tell a friend to do. Either have the doctor at MEPS say you need the supports, and put it on your physical that will be a part of your medical records, or learn to go without them until you complete recruit training. If you just show up with them, the Drill Instructors will not allow you to keep them. It will be no different than any other civillian thing you bring. If you need something it will be issued to you... that is going to be the way they think, no matter what your reasons are.

03Infantry
05-05-03, 03:36 PM
Thank you Marines. I won't bring them. I havn't needed them yet. I will try to pick some up in bootcamp.

Sixguns
05-05-03, 07:41 PM
Don't bring them! Chances are they will be thrown out in your first few hours at MCRD. If the supports are needed, medical will authorize or prescribe them. Chances are that this issue will not be addressed in recruit training. Make sure that the doctors at MEPS annotate the record and you will be all set. If your feet require medical attention at MCRD, explain to the doctor there about your arches and the fact another doctor (MEPS) recommended the use of arch supports.

Sixguns

greensideout
05-05-03, 09:12 PM
031infantry,

LOL, been there, done that. (Kind of).

I've got flat feet too. That's good because high arches breakng down is a whole lot worse.

When I got to bootcamp they measured my feet and isused my boots.Because of my flatfeet they were WAY to large!

After about a week I could not take the pain much longer. Went to sick bay, (I hated that!) and told the doc that my feet hurt.

He said that all recruit's feet hurt in bootcamp and that "flatfeet" was an old WW-I excuse.---LOL--- He did check my boot size and reduced them by two sizes. That worked. No more problems ever again.

Take the supports with you?

Not even maybe!

Go to boot with nothing more then what you were born with and the clothes you have on.

top1371
05-05-03, 10:00 PM
You didnt say if your feet hurt or not.

I have severe flat feet, ran for years and years without pain. Then I developed heel spurs and could hardly walk when I woke up in the morning. Now I wear custom arch supports (thanks Doc!) that if someone tried to steal them from me the would end up with two broken leggs.

If they dont hurt, dont worry about it. I agree with greensideout, if they hurt, go to sickbay.

Semper Fi,

03Infantry
05-06-03, 03:51 PM
My knees have never bothered me and I run over 8 miles and run the 3 all the time. Thanks Marines. 3 weeks left