PDA

View Full Version : Marine opts for active duty before becoming a teacher

thedrifter
05-24-08, 09:21 AM
Marine opts for active duty before becoming a teacher

5/23/2008 By Cpl. Carrie Booze , Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO — Pfc. Dale Query grew up in the small town of Basin, Wyo., where he spent the majority of his day playing in basketball, football and track competitions.

Query said that although sports took up most of his time, his family was very supportive especially his father.

His father coached his little league and wrestling team for eight years, so they were very close, said Patricia Query, his mother.

“My father was diagnosed with Huntington’s disease 15-years ago, but despite his illness he never missed one of my games or practices. It was great always having him there for that extra support,” said Query.

Query played sports throughout high school where he won several competitions and ended up earning a football scholarship to play at Blackhill State University, Spearfish, S.D.

While in college, Query played football for four years and then became a coach for his team during the fifth year. He said that because he had been playing sports his whole life, it was difficult to stop. He said he missed being a part of a team and the close bond he had with his teammates.

During Query’s five years of college, he earned a bachelors degree in elementary education and special education, and an associate degree in reading.

Query said that he chose those degrees because he loves children and wants to help them learn and be a mentor.

“Some children don’t have fathers, and I want to be that positive male role model in their lives. I think it would be a very rewarding job to have such an influence in a child’s life,” said Query.

Although Query aspired to be a teacher, he said that since high school he wanted to join the military. He said he wanted to defend his country and be a part of the great things that are being accomplished overseas, and like teaching, serving in the Marine Corps is another way he could secure the future of the nation’s youth.

“I also wanted to serve my country and travel. My dad served in Vietnam with the Army and I wanted to have the same experiences that he had,” said Query.

“My college years were wrapping up and I reached a point in my life where I had to decide whether I wanted to just get a job, or follow my dream of becoming a Marine,” said Query.

During Query’s final semester in college, he contacted a recruiter and enlisted in the Marine Corps with an infantryman military occupational specialty.

“My father was proud of me for joining to Marine Corps, but before I left his disease was getting progressively worse where he couldn’t speak clearly or understand what I was saying,” said Query.

The day before Query left for recruit training he went to visit and eat lunch with his father. His family had recently admitted him into a nursing home because of the increased severity of his illness.

“Right before I left my father stood up, walked over to me, gave me a hug and told me loved me in the clearest voice I had heard from him in months,” said Query.

Once in recruit training, Query picked up with Company D, Platoon 1066, where he quickly earned the billet of squad leader and then guide.

A month into training, Query received a Red Cross message alerting him that while his father was being hospitalized for phenomena he passed away. Query was immediately sent on 10-days of emergency leave.

“I was devastated when my father died. He was a big part of my life and the best father I could have asked for,” said Query.

Although it was difficult leaving his mother and younger brother, Query knew that he had to return to recruit training and earn the title of United States Marine. Because Query had missed a substantial amount of training, he was dropped from his original company and picked up with Company M, Platoon 3262.

“He was a little timid when he first got here and kept to himself because he was in a new environment,” said Staff Sgt. Esteban Zapata, drill instructor, Platoon 3262. “I would have never guessed that he had just been through such a tragedy.”

Query said that recruit training was very hectic; therefore he didn’t have a lot of time to mourn over his father. He said that the members of his former platoon were very supportive and tried to talk him through it.

Query said that it was hard switching platoons because he hadn’t established a bond and understanding with his new platoon members yet.

Not long after being in his new platoon, Query earned the billet of guide.

“The other recruits didn’t know what to expect from him, so because he had a fresh start he could set the tone for the platoon,” said Zapata. “He was real motivated as the guide, and led the platoon from the front.”

Query said his favorite part of recruit training was the final day on the Crucible, when his platoon was hiking back and received their eagle, globe and anchors.

“I put a lot of time, effort and sweat in order to make it to that day, and all of those hardships were worth it,” said Query.

While in recruit training Query was better educated on his options in the Marine Corps and decided to apply for Officer Candidate School, in hopes of earning commission.

Query said that he wants to further his education while in the Marine Corps and earn a masters degree in administration so when he gets out of the Marine Corps he can become a principal.

After the graduation ceremony, Query will return home for 10-days of leave, then report to the Infantry Training Battalion at the School of Infantry, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Ellie