PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp PT

TheJester
05-02-03, 10:53 AM
I hear average PT in bootcamp now is 3 times a week. Although I"m sure its very much so adequate, I know from personal experiance that I have to do some extra PT in order for my body to develop the endurance desired (I do pushups, Pullups, Dips, and crunches in my room everynight).

If I were to wake up early or use my freetime to do this would I draw repercussions from the Drill Instructors?

USMC0311
05-02-03, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by TheJester
I hear average PT in bootcamp now is 3 times a week. Although I"m sure its very much so adequate, I know from personal experiance that I have to do some extra PT in order for my body to develop the endurance desired (I do pushups, Pullups, Dips, and crunches in my room everynight).

If I were to wake up early or use my freetime to do this would I draw repercussions from the Drill Instructors?

I usually don't interject in this pre-maggot thread, but I would like to verify this thought/scuttlebutt.
you can count on sometimes PTing 3 times after yer weak

ridiculous questions deserve wtf they get for an answer...stupid questions can and are asked...yours is one.

you will PT....and ....You WILL Like it.:yes:

if ya get to boot..and become a Marine...let me know How ya like Rifle exercises.

Silver_XAT
05-04-03, 05:38 PM
First of all... you will not "wake up early," especially not to excercise. Although pt during nightly free time is encouraged. Crunches and the like can conceivably be done in the rack, though your drill instructor will more than likely demand your eyelids close at lights out. After the first week, you'll PT darn near every day for those first few weeks (except Sunday). Our platoon had atleast 2 back to back 5 day pt weeks. As training progresses and you "avg 3 pt's" your runs will be longer and your Series Guns will demand more from your constantly broken down body during every pt sesion. But I must admit this is an altogether retarded question. You WILL PT often enough to suit you. If you dont "PT" you'll probably have Martial Arts training, Pugil sticks, and or the ever-so-lovely quarterdeck/pit combo to wear your butt out. Your endurance will increase on its own, as it's designed to. However you will notice your total strength levels deplete rapidly during first phase, especially in that first week. For instance i did 9 pullups at the recruiting station the day before I shipped, but did 7 on the IST. Enjoy!

Kalbo
05-04-03, 09:41 PM
Just ask your DI if you can take a little jog after chow, maybe get in a round of golf.

RoboRobinson17
05-04-03, 11:19 PM
In high school we had football camp. It lasted for two weeks, monday thru saturday, and were two-a-days. If you weren't dog tired everytime you stepped off the field, you weren't puttin' out. And my coach was Army! I think that more PT will be the farthest thing from your mind if yer puttin' out. But, if not, make sure you leave your addy....I'm sure these guys will send you a care package......

Yours in Intensity,

Joe

lurchenstein
05-05-03, 01:55 AM
Jester,
Your Drill Instructors will know how much PT is good for you. In some cases, you may PT until they get tired of watching.
These side-straddle hops aren't quite right in form, but just for starters -->:banana:

greensideout
05-06-03, 07:41 PM
Jester, are you doing this one yet?

Think in your mind the voice of a Drill Instructor.

From the position of attention and then returning to the position of attention.

"GET ON YOUR BACK---GET ON YOUR BELLY---GET UP--- GET ON YOUR BELLY--- GET UP--- GET ON YOUR BACK---GET UP"
"YOU'RE MOVING TO SLOW PEOPLE"----GET DOWN--- GET ON YOUR BACK---GET UP"

Are you getting the idea?

top1371
05-06-03, 09:13 PM
"wake up early" ha, thats a good one... unless something has changed in the past 20+ years.... you dont get out of the rack unless told to do so :)

greensideout: what about "GET IN THE PIT - MAKE IT RAIN" where you grab handfulls of sand and throw it in the air while you do star jumpers.....

Semper Fi,

mrbsox
05-06-03, 11:41 PM
Don't forget the ever popular:

"JUST Fkn BEGIN",

at which time the Drill Instructor will go to the mess hall, P.X., take a dump.

Tomorrow he/she may tell you to stop.

(in the voice of 'Tatoo')

"de fleas, de fleas" :D

Red Dragon
05-08-03, 11:55 AM
the nice DI's had us PT'ing inside the barracks. At least we were not ouside. LOL How many remember those nice hot days on the Island along with the ever famous "SAND FLEAS."

Red Dragon aka HL

Sixguns
05-09-03, 05:45 AM
PT is accomplished in so many ways. Even when you aren't in PT gear, your DIs will find ways to exercise your body!!!! PT will be more frequent than three times a week. It doesn't matter if you need it or not, you will get it (I'm sure many of us remember motivational PT or trips to the quarterdeck and pit!). Just be sure to display a lot of motivation durin PT sessions and sound off!

SIXGUNS

leroy8541
05-12-03, 06:50 PM
hahahahahahahahahahaha 3x a week hahahahahahahaha

garryh123
05-12-03, 08:06 PM
PT 3 times a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
U musta heard that from some army doggie slacker!!!!

J. WILSON
05-15-03, 02:32 AM
More like...3X a day..........GET ON YOURE FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-15-03, 01:29 PM
I think a better way to say this would be:
You will go outside, in PT gear, make a nice little formation, do the warm up, run, and a cool down three times a week. You will be doing much more than this though. You will visit the quarter deck and the pit on a regular basis, you will be doing things with foot lockers and bedding that you can't even imagine. Getting enough PT will not be a problem. But, with that being said, I always did a set of pull ups to failure during free time. Of course, free time didn't exist until we had been around for awhile, and by that point you know getting enough PT isn't an issue.

wrbones
05-15-03, 03:21 PM
"...would I draw repercussions from the Drill Instructors?"

That is so rich! ROTF.

One more time, Jester. Read the POOL-ee Hall and Marine Mentor forums....all of them!

Just ****ing begin.

I advise this little exercise as you have apparently missed something important somewhere.

Anything you do will have the Drill Instructors watching you. After all, that's one of the numerous things they get paid to do. Make sure ya watch, listen and do what yer told when yer told to do it. Keep yer mouth shut unless spoken too. You'll be alright.

You've gotten some very good advice here as well as some folks just havin' a bit of fun with ya! ;) Make sure ya can do the IST and pass it and read and study that book yer Recruiter gave ya. If yer still in school keep yer grades up, too.

Bones

jryanjack
05-15-03, 03:34 PM
3 times a week??? I don't remember ever going to that country club! 3 times a day is more like it! Not to mention creating indoor grinders, rifle drill with footlockers, and mountain climbers until you wanted to die! The good ole days! :)

leroy8541
05-18-03, 06:00 PM
HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH 3X'S REPERCUSIONS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA YOUR KILLIN ME

J-Hack
05-29-03, 10:47 AM
Hey I am just a poolee as well as you but it sounds like your recruiter isnt doing there job or you just arent paying attention!
Didn't you get the video in your welcome aboard package? you need to watch it more often and pay attention to detail.

J-Hack
"One team One fight"

wrbones
05-29-03, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by J-Hack
...or you just arent paying attention!
Didn't you get the video in your welcome aboard package? you need to watch it more often and pay attention to detail.

I'm glad you said that! When I say stuff like that people get mad at me! LOL

A lot of questions have already been answered by the recruiter, now in all the excitement, at times, it's easy to get too distracted to really pay attention to what has been said or even shown.

That's where we come in.

There is a helluva lot of info posted on this site for POOL-ees and DEPers. We kinda expect them to take advantage of the time and effort we've all put into assembling that information for their convenience. That said, there are some questions that haven't been asked yet, and some that haven't been addressed because the answers are so obvious to those who have become Marines that the question is seemingly stupid or hilarious. The Jester's query was one of those. LOL.

Still other questions are case sensitive, so to speak. Most of the latter are best addressed by your recruiters.

There isn't any question that is really stupid if ya don't know the answer ahead of time. Some questions are asked so often around here, that several of us posted the answers and links for more information for you ahead of time. THIS is why we ask and tell and even order you to read the POOL-ee Hall and the Marine Mentor forums before you start posting questions that have been answered numerous times in numerous ways before. Once you have some basic info in yer BHG, your questions will then have more content and will elict more information than they would before you did the reading and studying we've assigned you.

Yer still gonna catch hell. We will tease you and mess with yer heads and we can all have a bit of fun and get the job done....which is to get you ready for recruit training.

Our methods work, and they work well. There are nearly 7,000 members on this site, most of them are Marines, many of the rest are family members of Marines. Even if you are very conservative in your calculations, that is 20,000 years of experience, knowledge and wisdom about the Corps from WWII to the present.

IF you want to learn about the Marine Corps, it might be worth paying attention to what we have to say, whether you like it or not.

There's just an outside chance that we know what the hell we're talking about! ;)

Barry
06-09-03, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by garryh123
PT 3 times a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
U musta heard that from some army doggie slacker!!!!

Hey some of us WISH it was just 3 times a week. Although I hahe met paople that say they only did 3 days in basic. I was doing pt everyday at my duty station.

Devildogg4ever
06-12-03, 06:31 PM
You need to listen to all, we have been there! Definatley listen to bones! He talks a straight game. But, no matter what's said or shown, you won't know till you get there! We can give you an idea (The best) of what to expect. And at the same time, you have to do it to know! If you want it "bad enough", you WILL be a Marine! :)

richgitz
06-19-03, 09:08 AM
don't know wre this young got his info, but being a EX D.I. the
only time you won't be doing PT is when your sleeping, eating,
or at religious services (MAY-BE). You don't have to worry about
getting enough, the DI's will accomadate you.

Devil0321/8541
06-19-03, 09:20 AM
You aren't kiddin' richgitz. They PT'd us till they were tired!

But Things Have changed! Stress cards and all! LOL

jenrmurray
06-20-03, 12:01 PM
The stress card thing is just Army or something, right? Please tell me that they have not made their way into the Corps. Please!

Super Dave
06-20-03, 01:25 PM
It's Army...

richgitz
06-20-03, 05:35 PM
What-The- F**K is a stress Card? I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad
I'm not on the Field anymore. Whats next private rooms & maids
or may-be Boot Camp off Base living, or Hot Tubs and Broads to
to give messages. How about some Liberty while we're at.:no: :confused:

BigCat
06-20-03, 09:36 PM
Speaking as a former DI, you're going to be PT'd to death!! You'll PT in the morning...PT at noon....PT at night...You'll PT for doing things well, and you'll PT for doing things poorly...You'll PT for things that you have no control over and you'll PT for things that you never heard of....You'll even PT just because....You'll PT in your sleep, and you'll PT in the chow line. Three times a week? Let me ask you...did you pass the drug test?? Now hear this you little maggot....You have no idea what your in for when it comes to PT....I STRONGLY suggest that you hit it hard between now and the time you leave for boot camp. Then, if you have the mettle to become one of us, you come back here and let us know.
Good luck....Start sweatin' pig!

Barry
06-20-03, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by BigCat
You'll even PT just because

"PT till I get TIRED of WATCHING"

My favorite quote.

lurchenstein
06-21-03, 03:28 AM
There were several recruits in my platoon that got PT instead of an "interservice transfer". Around 2nd or 3rd week, our Drill Instructors gathered the platoon in the classroom and popped the question. (Several fell for it.) It was a good day to PT.

Devildogg4ever
06-21-03, 05:08 AM
Speaking as a former DI, you're going to be PT'd to death!! You'll PT in the morning...PT at noon....PT at night...You'll PT for doing things well, and you'll PT for doing things poorly...You'll PT for things that you have no control over and you'll PT for things that you never heard of....You'll even PT just because....You'll PT in your sleep, and you'll PT in the chow line. Three times a week? Let me ask you...did you pass the drug test?? Now hear this you little maggot....You have no idea what your in for when it comes to PT....I STRONGLY suggest that you hit it hard between now and the time you leave for boot camp. Then, if you have the mettle to become one of us, you come back here and let us know.

He, he, I love it when you talk dirty, and you still haven't told them really how much P.T., but, they'll find out!! :evilgrin:

poolee womack
06-28-03, 11:13 PM
what is a stress card?

wrbones
06-28-03, 11:38 PM
The Army recruits get them when they feel like they're bein' yelled at too much, they can then pull a 'stress card' out of their pocket and show it to the Drill Sergeant ( That's what they're called in the Army), and the Drill Sergeant can't yell at them for a certain length of time. They can 'only' be used twice per day by the recruit.

As a Marine Corps recruit, yer not gonna have to worry about keepin' track of any stress cards......

poolee womack
06-28-03, 11:39 PM
LOL, i knew marine boot camp was quite a bit harder but i didn't realize it was like that in the army.

wrbones
06-28-03, 11:41 PM
Always capitalize Marine. Period.

Barry
06-29-03, 12:57 AM
Wish i would've had one, and can they be used in war. lol
Had a girl pull one out at my last unit, she was (insert good word for hazed here). They sure do fly well when a SSG hits the wind just right.

offhand200
08-15-03, 12:52 PM
3x a week. Who the he*# told you that? Boot camp IS PT PT EVERY DAY BUILD MY BODY THE DRILL INSTRUCTORS WAY. Oh and you get a little extra if your a squad leader or guide. If you want more PT in boot camp just give a little giggle every time the drill instructor says "PLATOON....AAAATEENNNHUH!!!!" I'm sure he would be glad to give you some Incentive Training ha ha ha.
:banana:

Sender
08-15-03, 02:24 PM
PT! Yes, "Physical Training" is a constant in your everyday routine as a Marine recruit and it follows you throughout your time as a Marine as well. Yes, there are sometimes you go and do organized "PT" ,as a Series or Company, but every Recruit will do some sort of PT everyday of Recruit Training. A Marine trains to be in peak physical condition so that one day if he/she gets into a combat situation, anywhere around the world, they will be ready to withstand the rigors of combat.
Stress Card! I don't think so! I have yet to see one on the Depot nor have I heard of one in any MCRD. If you feel you need to have one as a Marine Recruit then we don't need you. Attrition is the Mission so that we can weed out the weak and keep the strong so that we are a more productive show of force in the eyes of our enemies.

richgitz
08-15-03, 04:47 PM
BigCat hit all the bases. PT after every other breath. The DI's
have more than one way to get you in shape, which you will
experience, that for D*mn sure. Them Squad Bay floors will be
so wet, you'll think it rained in doors.:devious: :banana: :banana:

Sender
08-15-03, 05:18 PM
"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in War!" Remember that when you're pushing earth and wondering.....Why? "Our's is not to wonder why, but Our's is to do or die." "Discipline is our foundation and pain is our builder."

Semper Fi!

joemustang
08-22-03, 11:48 AM
im leaving for PI in exactly 1 month, and i ride my mountain bike to the gym and workout for at least an hour or more. on average i ride my bike around 3 miles a day and i try to run about 3X a week. i run a mile or more when i do. is this good exercise to get myself in shape for boot. and also i would like some info on more stuff i can do to better prepare myself for boot. i am looking forward to goin to boot because i want to earn the title of united states marine.

richgitz
08-22-03, 01:31 PM
First thing is when when you type the words, United States Marine. Use CAPITAL LETTERS! Show some respect for our Corps.
POOLEE.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-22-03, 06:20 PM
Joemustang, you are the only one that knows if you are getting yourself into the shape you need to be in. If you want us to make a guess, we need to know a little more than you gave us. What is your mile and a half and three mile run time? How many pull ups and crunches can you do? Just telling us you go to the gym and ride a bicycle isn't letting us know anything.

top1371
08-22-03, 06:46 PM
When I was a recruiter I ran my Poolees 3 miles at the pool function. No mile and a half crap... well until I got caught :D

As for boot camp pt, not 3x a week, not once a day, but how about three or four times a day :D

Semper Fi,

joemustang
08-27-03, 07:44 AM
my mile n a half the first time i ran it was 10:56 and the second time was 11:07. first time i did pullups n crunches i did 10 pullups and 55 crunches and the second time i did 11 pullups and 70 crunches. i havent yet timed myself on a 3 mile run but i do run on my road to this one persons house and my dad measured the distance with his truck mileage. also is it a good thing to stop drinkin soft drinks and try to stick with just water before i go in. i leave for boot in 28 days.