PDA

View Full Version : Marines trade 4 wheels for 2

thedrifter
05-23-08, 05:12 AM
Marines trade 4 wheels for 2

Posted: May 22, 2008 09:56 PM

Updated: May 22, 2008 11:03 PM

May 22, 2008

Albany--The higher gas prices go, the more creative you have to be to try to save a few bucks.

One Albany Marine is saving a bundle, and getting in better shape.

Cycling is not only growing as a popular sport but also as a popular form of transportation.

Major Kent Wheeler doesn't rely on gas to commute.

The Major at MCLB Albany is spending a lot of time on his bicycle these days and inspiring others to trade in four wheels for two.

For the last two months, The Defense Distribution Center Commander has peddled 36 miles per day to and from MCLB.

He raced bicycles for years, filling up gas one day he got the idea of biking to the base.

"Was filling up my gas tank one day and said wow it's taking a lot to fill up a little Lexus and cost $60, and doing it about five times a month so I should probably jump back on the bike, get back into shape," said Major Kent E. Wheeler, U.S. Marine Corps.

And he is in better shape, shedding twelve pounds and saving at the pump.

"I started riding to work and it didn't take me about two rides riding back and forth to work going wow I really do like this stuff," said Wheeler.

Wheeler's wheels inspired one sergeant to hop on his bike too.

"A, because I save $300 in gas, and two I lost 25 pounds," said Sergeant Qieth McQureerir, U.S. Marine Corps.

"I use to ride bikes as a kid and then when I noticed that he was talking about it then I started then I got involved and I see that it did actually save the gas money," said McQureerir.

At today's prices the sergeant says he's seen the savings, and thinks everyone who can should be motivated to use peddle power.

"Money, gas, the way gas is today, today is $3.98 tomorrow it's $4.06," said McQureerir.

Thankfully in our area gas is not yet at the $4 mark but these two marines are happy they've taken the cheaper and healthier road to work.

"Some people walk, ride busses, I wouldn't call it the war against the gas prices or anything but I just this is what I choose to do," said Wheeler.

Major Wheeler Lives in North West Albany.

His commute on the bicycle is roughly 50 minutes at about 18 to 20 miles per hour.

Ellie