PDA

View Full Version : I'm pretty PO'd about his attitude

greybeard
05-22-08, 09:08 PM
On another forum, a Desert Storm Marine veteran posted the following. I very strongly disagree with these comments, and am even more astounded that (according to him) that this is the prevalent attitude within the current non-draft USMC toward Vietnam vets of all branches of service. I "might" have took it easier if it had not come from a Marine. Opinions please--Is this what current and recent active duty Marines think of us Vietnam Era Marines?

You want an honest opinion of modern vs viet nam vets.. "Bunch of consripts who were shoveled in, got high, tripped on acid and then *****ed because war was uncool man"
I'll give you props for showing up.. but what was the military then and what it is now.. night and day.. you can ask down to the lowest PFC.. the last thing they'd want in their bunker/post is a draftee/conscript.

Sorry.. you might not like the truth.. your time sucked..
Modern military is professional and deadly.. Got no time for whiners, protesters, and least of all ***** conscripts. We / They know their job and how to do it and do it well.
Maybe after Hillary and or Obama get elected we can go back to a conscript army and hand out smack and mushrooms so all vets are ****ed up.

When I asked him directly--and he is well aware that I am Vietnam era USMC: "Is this your opinion of all Vietnam veterans?"--his reply was: (I am MJ)

MJ.. sorrry.. but ya.. unless you're pre 68.
Yes there are boonie rats that think the "Nam" would be cool etc. see punks like the idiot who wrote Jarhead.

But the regular volunteer types.. see viet nam vets as drugged up conscripts
We/they read books like Sniper about Carlos Hathcock and the difference between professional and conscript.. Apologies.. but we/they dont want to serve with draftees
I would really like to hear some opinions from current era Marines. I have the greatest respect and admiration for the young Marines we have today, and had always thought they would feel the same for my generation of Marines. Perhaps I am mistaken?

E5NAMKROW
05-22-08, 09:13 PM
War is War. Draftee or Enlisted. Last i remember the rounds of ammunition still kill the same way they did in '68 and forty years later. There is more to do with our time then to try to belittle past Marines and their situation they were handed. Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen all have my utmost respect, no matter when they served. As the way it should be. Semper Fidelis greybeard and thankyou for your service!

Chumley
05-22-08, 09:20 PM
greybeard,

No f'in way. That guy that posted that is some kind of POS. I was in during the Desert Sheild Desert Storm era too. I can assure you that only respect for all Marines is taught. This guy has seen just enough TV to have caught a few bad highlights. F him and thank you for your service Brother! He's spoutin off and getting people riled up and it will not be good when history catches up to HIM. If this person keeps it up eventually it'll be in the wrong crowd.

Semper Fidelis
C

Marine84
05-22-08, 09:24 PM
PM me please and let me know where he is. That's fkd up - one thing they ain't teaching 'em these days is a little bit of respect.

ecfree
05-22-08, 09:28 PM
Greybeard you have every rite feeling like you do.
I spent some time in the bush,and seen some sh** that these young Marines wont see in the movies,or read about.Sure there were sh**birds that thought they were cool.They later found out later they weren't.They were delt with firmly.
The cool ones didn't take Hue city,and the cool didn't last thru Khe San,or make it thru fire fights at the DMZ.........nuff said:mad:

Big Jim
05-22-08, 09:34 PM
On another forum, a Desert Storm Marine veteran posted the following. I very strongly disagree with these comments, and am even more astounded that (according to him) that this is the prevalent attitude within the current non-draft USMC toward Vietnam vets of all branches of service. I "might" have took it easier if it had not come from a Marine. Opinions please--Is this what current and recent active duty Marines think of us Vietnam Era Marines?

When I asked him directly--and he is well aware that I am Vietnam era USMC: "Is this your opinion of all Vietnam veterans?"--his reply was: (I am MJ)

I would really like to hear some opinions from current era Marines. I have the greatest respect and admiration for the young Marines we have today, and had always thought they would feel the same for my generation of Marines. Perhaps I am mistaken?

Greybeard, I myself, enlisted in September of 1984 and was even in Desert Storm 7 years later. Being a Marine of that same generation as MJ, I have to truly apologize to you for this idiots' stupidity. he probably doesn't eve know what a Vietnam Marine actually is. This frikkin idiot MJ, doesn't know his azz from a hole in the ground! If I knew who he was I would yank the frikkin sparks outta his azz and MAKE him show respect for Vietnam Marines who have endured much, much more for their country than we ever have...and thats the truth. I can't even begin to speculate what the hell he was even trying to talk about...the piece o' crap!!

Speaking from one combat vet to another, I can't even begin to imagine the sh!t you and all your buddies have been through. I see Vietnam vets as my family and as Marines who have paved the way with their blood, sweat and tears for me and my generation to come through and do my tours and just I did the same to have this generation come in and do their tours. Its the cycle that must be respected but it sounds like frikkin idiot doesn't know the meaning of the word respect. Fvck him, he'll die without knowing respect cause he doesn't deserve it or ever have knowing it. Thats the way I see it.

I can honestly tell you that we Desert Storm vets DO NOT feel this way because it was an entirely different war! It doesn't mean a bullet isn't magically stopped due technology because Marines are still dying from them. What it means is that respect should be number one here and ALL Marines are family...and to have one idiots' opinion stand for ALL Marines' opinions' of that era is not right...especially the way he feels because believe me...to have served in the Nam and survived is the most honorable achievement and worthy of the highest respect from EVERYBODY...not just other Marines. Don't pay attention to what this pinko commie fag says...just know you have the utmost respect one veteran, one man, one Marine can give another. Semper Fi, my brother...

Wyoming
05-22-08, 09:37 PM
This arsehole needs unfcking!

ecfree
05-22-08, 09:40 PM
Thanks big jim

greybeard
05-22-08, 09:40 PM
Actually, I guess I should have made it a little more clear. He is addressing me, and my username on that forum is MJ. I intentionally did not post his username here at Leatherneck. I do appreciate your replies, and your honesty, but don't want to start no firefights here among us. Besides, I'm too old and rickety to take on any of you young Marines. :D

Swampyankee
05-22-08, 09:46 PM
He isn't too well informed. I didn't go to war, I served between conflicts, I watched as all the older kids went to Vn and that had a lot to do with me going in. And when I was in when there were plenty of professional VN Marines. Nobody was twisting thier arms to stay and one staff was in only to go again. Lots of chicken sh1t in the peace time Corps to put up with just to wear the uniform. (At least in my experience). Those are the guys that taught us, and later, in LE, had plenty of officers who were VN Marines. No junkies there.

Now I did run into a couple of supposed VN vets that had a hair across their buttes with me because I was too young to have gone to VN. But I don't see them as being the norm. And as history likes to repeat itself, I was made to feel I didn't do enough in my time by one or two of recent crop of war vets on another forum. It got so bad I had nothing to contribute anymore so I quit that site. All my experiances can't add up to the ultimate experiance, but it gets to be tiring to be ridiculed at every word. But as with every demographic there are all types no matter the group. The guy sounds a tad bitter and probably not old enough to remember anyone from his neighborhood going to VN. I wonder if he would have joined if nothing was going on?

Big Jim
05-22-08, 09:51 PM
Actually, I guess I should have made it a little more clear. He is addressing me, and my username on that forum is MJ. I intentionally did not post his username here at Leatherneck. I do appreciate your replies, and your honesty, but don't want to start no firefights here among us. Besides, I'm too old and rickety to take on any of you young Marines. :D

My mistake brother...my bad. I know you were just asking a question but this azzhole really does need to learn the meaning of respect and if he doesn't know it...I'll make him feel what it can do for his immediate health!! I don't think I'm alone in that thought either...as you can see!! LOL!! What we ALL feel here is nothing but respect for all Viet Nam veterans above and below ground and on that wall...the difference in wars, combat or technology has absolutley nothing to do with that respect because it always has been there, just the same as it always will be there...its all about the respect, brother!!

greybeard
05-22-08, 10:43 PM
I have "not so politely" made a suggestion to him:

"take your ignorant elitist attitude and total BS to Leatherneck.com, register-- and see how far your pile of dung philosophy gets you!"

You know, Vietnam was tough--no doubt about it. But Mr. BS artist is right about one thing. What these young men and women are seeing today in Iraq and Afghanistan just tears at my heart. You young folks are good--and I mean DAM GOOD. Some on your 2nd, 3rd, 4th tours already. Stop loss/extended tours-Now that's dedication and just outright being MARINE!! This old man's proud of every one of you. :flag:

Big Jim
05-22-08, 10:51 PM
I have "not so politely" made a suggestion to him:

You know, Vietnam was tough--no doubt about it. But Mr. BS artist is right about one thing. What these young men and women are seeing today in Iraq and Afghanistan just tears at my heart. You young folks are good--and I mean DAM GOOD. Some on your 2nd, 3rd, 4th tours already. Stop loss/extended tours-Now that's dedication and just outright being MARINE!! This old man's proud of every one of you. :flag:

Thats great that you told him to come here to Leatherneck...hey Greybeard...send him MY way...I ain't chewed on no azz in a while and I'm HUNGRY!! LOL!! After I'm done with him the first and last words out of his filthy sewer will be sir or ma'am...forever after that...

Yeah, these young kids are answering the call ain't they? I'm not surprised though...afterall they ARE Marines and are getting the job done for their fellow Marines. Thats what is all about...brothers forever, no matter what...

JohnEaceHunt
05-23-08, 01:50 AM
Wyy you needle di.., horses a.., **** bag phoney person who would like to be called Marine. I bet you had to kiss ass, and wear knee pads just to get out of Boot Camp. That must be the reason you have such a foul taste in your mouth for the Corps. My Plt.#3012, S.D., graduated 2 July '66 with 5 men drafted into the Army, that choose to go Marines, and they made some of the best. All the rest we volunteered. In '66 we had 8 weeks to learn what your sorry ass should have learned in 12 weeks. We all went to Vietnam, and out of 76 Marines we only lost 4 men who didn't come back. You seem to know all about the drugs, shed some light on us. It sure sounds like you know all about them. It would be wise for me not to find out who you are mr. phoney one.

Wyoming
05-23-08, 02:42 AM
Don, aka greybeard, this Marine, needs to go to 'The Wall', and say out loud what he says behind a keyboard.

I feel sorry for the Marines he is associated with.

If he has the balls to join this site, we will only have a short period of time with him before he gets banned.

DWG
05-23-08, 07:19 AM
A lot of these kids know nothing of Vietnam but what they have seen in movies like Apocalypse Now or Platoon. Full Metal Jacket can't erase all of the lefty trash that has been put out about Nam. I am against the draft too because I think "don't fix what ain't broke" and the Corps has some of the finest young men and women serving now that have ever put on the uniform!

jrhd97
05-23-08, 07:33 AM
The draft was over, or near over when I was born, and still know better than this shet bird. A look at history and decorations for heroism will reveal a large number of draftees. This current war is the only one that hasn't relied on the draft, except Desert Storm/ Shield. If draftees were as unsat as he thinks we would never have won , or stale mated any of the past conflicts.
Don't know what his problem is, but I sure hope some one " counsels " him :devious:

gunnyhiles
05-23-08, 08:56 AM
If ignorance is bliss, this clown is higher than any of the Marines, Army, et al anywhere in the Nam. If he did truly complete bootcamp than his Drill Instructors would be sorry they didn’t drop him. I concur that there was some bad drugs going on. However anyone on patrol or alert would not be going out with them. This war is different, house to house has to be tough. The bush did allow for escape and evasion. The weaponry today is awesome and does not require the high number of troops to put rounds on target as we did. In ending a REAL Marine would not speak of fellow Marines as has this wannebe.

MyCorps
05-23-08, 10:18 AM
Greybeard,
Let me assure you that todays Marines are indoctrinated with the highest respect of Marine Corps history, especially of those Marines that served in Vietnam. Sir, thank you for your service to this great country. OORAH!!

PM me please and let me know where he is. That's fkd up - one thing they ain't teaching 'em these days is a little bit of respect.

Ma'am,

Respect of ALL Marines no matter when they served is taught. The Marine Corps can take a recruit and teach him how to behave, think and act like a Marine. Unfortunately, this same recruit has to overcome the lesser moral code that Mom and Dad had drummed into the brain for 18 years.

sscjoe
05-23-08, 10:33 AM
Like Swampyankee is seved between conflicts and was trained by many veterans of Vietnam. All I cansay is that if there had been a conflict during my time I would have been ready because of that training. I also had the honor and privilage to serve directly with Ssgt Richard Pittman, MOH RVN 1966.
Bring him on over Greybeard, we will show him a good time and it won't cost him 5 dolla

yellowwing
05-23-08, 11:00 AM
Ohh-rah Greybeard! I don't think that younger Marine truly understands the essence of his job. 1968 or 2008 if your not a Grunt, you support that Grunt. And those Grunts still have to get out and close those last yards no matter how modern their equipment.

amarine0311
05-23-08, 11:31 AM
I have nothing but the highest respect for any Marine no matter when the served.

But let's look at the flip side. There is a Marine here Sgt7477 is one of a few. Served from 1974 to 1977. Even now this Marine goes to the poolee forum and gives them a hell of a hard time. Demands to be called Sir. Is that right? I called him down on it before. Says it is his duty to harrass the poolees. How do you feel about that?

jrhd97
05-23-08, 11:36 AM
I don't know, I might after we can read a full profile :flag:

AL49BGN
05-23-08, 11:59 AM
I enlisted in our beloved Corps in 1986 and served in the Gulf War.I can assure you that I have nothing but the greatest respect for any Vietnam era Vets and for the sacrifices you made.It is hard for me to understand how any fellow Marine can make such statements.Please rest easy knowing that Vets from our Era have great respect for your service.Many great men bled and died in SE Asia.

OldSwabbie
05-25-08, 09:51 AM
Sorry guys, idiots making statements like that make me nuts, and from what I see, you too. I normally just read, but I feel compelled to post.

In 1973 I started Marine Corps JROTC. I was instructed by some of the finest Marines you will ever meet. Colonel, John J. Rusham, WWII, Korea, Vietnam Figther Pilot. 1st Sgt James E. Dailey, "Chosin" Marine, Korea, Vietnam (2 tours), Gunnery Sgt Roger Gawne Korea, Vietnam. I was going to enlist in the Marines but the war ended and my best friend "steered" me into the Navy. But I never forgot my old instructors. They were some of the finest men I have ever known in my life.

These men are in NO WAYwhat this Peanut brain is saying. AND if this OldSwabbie ever hears this Peanut - Lamebrain (or anyone like him) say such things within HIS hearing that Marine (or anyone) WILL be picking himself up off the deck.

Leaving my "A" school in San Diego California in 1976, I was spit on by a long haired hippie (best description for the time) at the airport. I stood there in disbelief - him smiling. Spit ran down the front of my uniform ~ I saw RED. I hit him a few times, picked up my seabag and continued on my way. This is the crap we put up with in the 70's... We dont need to hear it again.

I believe all but one of these fine Marines are now gone. They helped me understand more in a few short years than just about anyone else in my life. I will never forget them.

Semper Fi Colonel Rusham, Semper Fi 1st Sgt Dailey, Semper Fi - Gunney Gawne.

OldSwabbie

davblay
05-25-08, 12:08 PM

I spent 30 some odd years not telling anyone that I am a Veteran of Viet Nam. That was because in my day if you traveled public comveyance you had to travel in civilian cloths or face that type of confrontations, everywhere you went! I mean EVERYWHERE! I have changed into my Uniform in airports and bus stations all across the land, just so I would attrack less attention to myself!

Now reading this thread my heart is hardening again, maybe the Hippies are not all gone after all. I was hoping that they all settled in Berkley, but it seems that they, this generation of hippies, have infiltrated our Corps....and that is sad! Makes me wonder if what we do here is worth the time it takes to try to hand down the lessons we learned in the jungles of the Nam!

If you Current Desert Veterans will stop a minute and think.....who is the first one to shake your hand and thank you for your service?? The Viet Nam Vet of course! Why...because we didn't get that welcome home hand shake or that pat on the back. No Sir we got ridicule and mayhem from the local teenagers and hippies.

In my early years I applied to the US post office locally, for a janitors job, not letter carrier! I scored 100 on the exam plus got an extra 10 points for being a disabled Vet. The only other guy that applied was a guy that was fresh out of high school and was a family friend of the post master, he scored 68....but he got the job and retired a couple of years ago with a good retirement. The Post Master said "I am afraid to hire you Viet Nam war Vets becsue of all the drugs you guys did over there".

The same thing happend on 3 applications for the State Highway patrol, I had 110 on the civil service exam, but they hired people that scored less, and I feel it was for the same reason. One of them is a Major now, one is retired and is sheriff, and the other one got fired for drugs...twice, of course his dad was a state congressman!

SO I am used to the BS from the population, but I thought the country was over that now, especially my brother Marines! I guess I was wrong!

Sorry for the novel, but that's my story,

Dave

Big Jim
05-25-08, 12:27 PM
Now reading this thread my heart is hardening again, maybe the Hippies are not all gone after all. I was hoping that they all settled in Berkley, but it seems that they, this generation of hippies, have infiltrated our Corps....and that is sad! Makes me wonder if what we do here is worth the time it takes to try to hand down the lessons we learned in the jungles of the Nam!

If you Current Desert Veterans will stop a minute and think.....who is the first one to shake your hand and thank you for your service?? The Viet Nam Vet of course! Why...because we didn't get that welcome home hand shake or that pat on the back. No Sir we got ridicule and mayhem from the local teenagers and hippies.

Dave

Dave, my brother, all veterans I have known honor the Viet Nam vets...believe me, man. Did you read MY post? There's no need to have a hard heart about this at all. What we have here is some frikkin idiot who doesn't know his azz from a hole in the ground and he's talking mass sh!t!!! His opinion doesn't matter for sh!t, brother!!! You know that!! Don't let this guy get to you...he doesn't deserve that power. Besides...that kind of retarded ignorance for the Viet Nam War and its vets may not be dead...but the people the ignorance comes out of will be if they ever say that sh!t around me!!! Those people really are the retards of this nation in which you helped to ensure its freedom!! You have brothers and sisters right here, man. Not to mention all those Poolies you have helped start their Marine Corps careers and who will remember you for the rest of their lives!! Who knows...maybe the future Commandant is one of 'em!! You deserve that recognition of a hero, my brother. If I could give you a medal...I would, my friend...since I can't...my hand as a brother will have to do...

bootlace15
05-25-08, 12:44 PM
Oh Sh!t,I might as well give my 2 cents worth. This is a little hard to swallow. I was drafted into the Army in 1970,but enlisted into the Corp.Figured if I gotta go,why not go all the way. Best decision I ever made.I also was a hippie bastard for a while,but came back from Viet Nam 100% disabled and have not one regret. To this day I still see a doctor twice a month for my injuries,they will not heal. I have so many skin grafts that a cross word puzzle would be put to shame. So this little puke who thinks us hippe bastards are cry babies can kiss my big ****** ass. If I had the chance to meet the little faggot though I'd still be a Marine and thank him for his service and walk the hell away.

bootlace15 out

If he was A Marine or even in the service at all.

ericamarine
05-25-08, 02:03 PM
being a desert storm vet i got told quite a few times by veitnam era vets and in country vets that our war was not as bad as their war but i think everybodys war is the worst to them for ww1 to todayit is all perspective. but now i know quite a lot of veinam vets and a couple of them are former marines and i have never gotten from them that our war wasnt **** and theirs was they respect me for fighting as i respect them for fighting and who says that we were all angels in any war? sometimes you do what it takes to get through

FistFu68
05-25-08, 03:15 PM
:evilgrin: A'LOT OF MY SENIOR N.C.O.'S IN THE 'NAM,WERE KOREAN VETERANS ALSO.STILL HUMPING 0311'S.MY PAPA WAS IN WW11,KOREA @ VIETNAM,AS AN ADVISOR THE THE "ARVN". VIETNAM VET AND DAM PROUD OF IT,IF I EVER RUN INTO YOU; WHO EVER THE HELL YOU ARE YOU FUCING DISRECTFULL COMMON MUTHA FUCER,I WILL TRY MY BEST TOO "BREAK ALL THE TEETH" IN YOU'R FUCING MOUTH.ONE OF US IS GOING DOWN BOY,EITHER YOU OR I?YOU AIN'T NEVER MET A REAL 'NAM VET,BUT THE MEETING IS COMING REAL SOON;YOU FUCING PUNK.:mad: :iwo:

ENGR1371
05-25-08, 04:20 PM
Don't stereotype us (Desert Storm Vets) all! I highly respect all VN Vets! I am a Desert Storm Vet & I respect all VN Vets! What that marine said was F**KING wrong, however, we, (Meaning Desert Storm Marines) are all not like that one! I know for a fact that alot of my instructers were VN vets & Beruit Vets! They taught us well! I highly respect all VN vets & all the sacrifices that y'all made! I Thank You & I say Semper Fi!

OOHRAH!

OldSwabbie
05-25-08, 04:40 PM
DaveBlay is right, it was tough in the 70's, D*** tough. But we all served, and we all served proudly. Dave, dont worry brother, I took it out on that Hippie.. last I saw he was slumped down near a pole by Continential Airlines in San Diego Airport :bunny:

Marines, you have the respect of so many people these days. There are so few now a days that would even THINK to bad mouth the Military without even Civilians starting an A** kicking contest. Its just "Not Cool" to go against the troops. Of Course that could change, but for now - they love you... and as well they SHOULD.

To my Vietnam brothers - Welcome home... Welcome home.

OldSwabbie

ggyoung
05-25-08, 04:51 PM
:iwo: :flag: :banana: I was in Vietnam 1965-66 and the very last of 1969and 1970. My 1st tour was with all volenters, my 2ed tour we had a few draftees. All went threw the same bootcamp as I and every Marine before and after. We all wore the same uniform. It was all Marine. I trusted my life to that Marine that was drafted and volentersd. This guy is so far out that I think he is or was smoking something not legal. SEMPER FI to all you Marines.