PDA

View Full Version : VA nursing home benefits (Indiana)

DLK160
05-22-08, 02:54 AM
Hello. It's been some time since I posted but things have changed in the past couple of years and I'm in search of additional insight. <br />
<br />
To update, I help a Marine and his wife with his care. He...

oldtop
05-22-08, 10:55 AM
Find him a service organization representative to help with his claim. If he has to be placed in a nursing home, his wife can file claiming "Spousal Improvishment" with the VA and she will be allowed to receive and keep a goodly portion of his SC Compensation payments. The Nursing home fees will be paid by VA and Medicaid.

DLK160
05-22-08, 04:16 PM
Thank you much for your reply and that information. She wasn't aware of that possibility.

His doctor wants to place him for awhile to rehab him and he's already been rejected by one. We won't be able to find out why until tomorrow when we call.

Big Jim
05-22-08, 10:20 PM
Also...advise them to notify their county VA representative as they may be able to provide transportation for visits. They DO provide free transportation for the veterans to and from the VA hospital. Never hurts to ask...I know its done here in Ohio...even to visit a sick husband or relative who is a disabled veteran.

DLK160
05-23-08, 10:06 AM
Thank you Big Jim, I've looked up the county representative here for her.

Regarding transport, he's staying at a public hospital. The nearest VA hospital is around 80 miles away in Fort Wayne, too far for them to travel. Besides his condition, Vicky has degenerative joint disease, spinal arthritis and narrowing of the spinal column and experiences sever pain in her feet.

All we have in this area is an outpatient clinic. Indiana only has one Veteran's home and it's 90 miles as the crow flies in West Lafayette. Driving it would be even further.