PDA

View Full Version : Spike Lee Slams Clint Eastwood on Iwo Jima movies

jetdawgg
05-21-08, 01:49 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20080521/people-lee-eastwood/images/20413c59-2127-4c2c-88c1-6fed64c380e2.jpg

CANNES, France — Spike Lee is slamming Clint Eastwood over his two recent Iwo Jima movies, saying the filmmaker overlooked the role of black soldiers during World War II.

Lee _ whose next film is this fall's "Miracle at St. Anna," the story of an all-black U.S. division fighting in Italy during the war _ said Eastwood's 2006 movies "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima" were whites-only affairs.

"He did two films about Iwo Jima back to back and there was not one black soldier in both of those films," Lee said Tuesday at the Cannes Film Festival, where he was a judge in an online short-film competition.

"Many veterans, African-Americans, who survived that war are upset at Clint Eastwood. In his vision of Iwo Jima, Negro soldiers did not exist. Simple as that. I have a different version," Lee said.

Eastwood was in Cannes for his missing-child drama "Changeling," starring Angelina Jolie. At a news conference for the film, a reporter tried to ask for his reaction to Lee's criticism, but the moderator cut her off and told journalists to limit questions to Eastwood's own movie.

Due in U.S. theaters in October, "Miracle at St. Anna" centers on four Americans _ played by Derek Luke, Michael Ealy, Laz Alonso and Omar Benson Miller _ in the Buffalo Soldiers division in Tuscany.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/21/spike-lee-slams-clint-eas_n_102867.html

Big Jim
05-21-08, 02:07 PM
Clint Eastwood was making movies before Spike was an itch in his Daddy's pants!! I really don't think or believe it was Clint's intention to "overlook" anyone in his interpretation of the Iwo Jima films. Afterall, in any branch, I think it still stands true today as it did back then...we're all the same color when part of the machine...green.

OB MSG
05-21-08, 02:13 PM
I just watched "Flags of Our Fathers" last night and there are Black Marines in that film, they were just not given forefront places in the script. The movie "Flags of Our Fathers" is about the flag raisers on Iwo Jima. As far as I saw, and they showed the pictures of each one in the credits, none of them were black. Were there black soldiers and Marines on the island, yes, were those same soldiers and Marines part of units or companies that were close to where the flag raisers were, I don't know, but the focus wasn't on them, it was on the flag raising and what happened to the men who were in that photo after the fact.

As for "Letters from Iwo Jima", the focus there was on the Japanese troops holding the island and the assault by the American forces on it. Again, the focus wasn't on black soldiers and Marines. Heck, most of the movie was in Japanese, with subtitles.

Mr Lee also needs to remember that this was during a time of segregation, it was $hitty and sucked, but it happened. I'm pretty certain that at that time in military history units were not mixed yet. Mr Eastwood focused on the people he chose to focus on for his films. As Mr Lee said, he will have his version, I look forward to seeing it.

FistFu68
05-21-08, 02:29 PM
:evilgrin: THE WHINING PIECE OF CHIT,IS JUST DRAWING ATTENTION TOO HIMSELF @ HIS FLICK;HE HAS THESE OUTBURST AT TIMES SO HE CAN HOPEFULLY DRAW THE BIGGEST BLACK AUDIENCE HE CAN.I'M HIP TOO HIS LITTLE AZZ!!!;) :iwo:

darkgreen0311
05-21-08, 02:45 PM
Clints not that way i know he directed a movie about Charlie Parker(Bird) if spike would have said John Wayne i could believe it.

:marine: :flag: Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

yanacek
05-21-08, 02:46 PM
Mr Lee also needs to remember that this was during a time of segregation

This is an accurate statement. I'm sure it is the only reason few if any black Marines were shown in Eastwood's films. Like it or not, historical fact is fact and should not be falsely re-written to placate him. Here is a link that Spike Lee should read about the subject before he spouts off: http://www.nps.gov/archive/wapa/indepth/extContent/usmc/pcn-190-003132-00/sec1.htm

I have known many WW-II Marines and most never even saw a black Marine. Those few that do, indicate black Marines were assigned to segregated Defense Battalions, or served in general service roles such as stewards and truck drivers.

SgtHMH
05-21-08, 02:47 PM
You all over looked one thing that is more important than anything. Spike Lee him self is a raciest against a Marine War Hero on that Island and in the Flag Rasing Picture. Think about were one of them came from and what this Marine background was ? PFC Ira Hayes a Native American Indian. He came from a Indian Reservation to fight for America and could not even get a drink in a bar in our Marine uniform. This is total disrespect to one of our Marine Heros of that time period, because this Marine is in the Flag Raising on Iwo Jima. This is more important than anything else here. We as Marines in all Eras should be up in arms about this disrespect to one of our Marine Heros.

Semper Fi

Big Jim
05-21-08, 03:06 PM
You all over looked one thing that is more important than anything. Spike Lee him self is a raciest against a Marine War Hero on that Island and in the Flag Rasing Picture. Think about were one of them came from and what this Marine background was ? PFC Ira Hayes a Native American Indian. He came from a Indian Reservation to fight for America and could not even get a drink in a bar in our Marine uniform. This is total disrespect to one of our Marine Heros of that time period, because this Marine is in the Flag Raising on Iwo Jima. This is more important than anything else here. We as Marines in all Eras should be up in arms about this disrespect to one of our Marine Heros.

Semper Fi

Steve my brother...being a full blood Native American Sioux myself...I, along with alot of other people, know what the Native Americans plight was but few truly understand it. I even served with another Native American who was related to the late Ira Hayes who became a very bitter man toward his "abject" heroism. He never thought of himself as a hero. I don't think any bonafide hero really does...but Ira sure didn't!

As far as the history of the Native Americans and the white settlers, man, its ancient history...it really is. What happened was an inevitable thing...to conquer the people over gold. It was a travesty yes and an important part of history. The reservations still exist as does the abject discrimination but only by ignorant people.

As far as the disrespect goes...I feel no direspect, brother. All I feel is pity for a famous member of a race who is trying to make a buck on the shirt tails of another famous film maker on a subject that has nothing to do with anything but racism and it has chaos written all over it. Myself, I'm a bigger person than that, I look past the negative and to the bigger picture. I avoid racism and these explosive subjects until faced with one. Then I just see it and tell it like it is...thanks for the post.

SgtHMH
05-21-08, 03:27 PM
Well as Marines we all hold that Iwo Jima Flag Raising Picture in the Heighest reguards and the Marine Statue of it back in DC also in high reguards. All know the feelings of PFC Ira Hayes of what he did. The thing is he as a Marine is and forever will be in that picture and on that statue. That is why we as Marines should stand up for him and them and Marines of all eras at all times, or it will be over looked.

Semper Fi

AL49BGN
05-21-08, 03:29 PM
Spike Lee Is Just Trying To Get Attention For Himself And Some Free Publicity.He Just Better Lay Off Clint Eastwood Who Is A Very Accomplished Director And Actor.I Cannot Recall Any Of The Flag Raisers On Iwo Jima Being Black.I Also Do Not Believe That The Japanese Army Had Any African Americans In Their Ranks.I Just Do Not Think That Mr.eastwood Would Rewrite History In Order To Placate Mr.lee

pablox1139
05-21-08, 05:11 PM
Spike Lee is a waste of a perfect pair of birth control glasses!

Big Jim
05-21-08, 05:12 PM
Well as Marines we all hold that Iwo Jima Flag Raising Picture in the Heighest reguards and the Marine Statue of it back in DC also in high reguards. All know the feelings of PFC Ira Hayes of what he did. The thing is he as a Marine is and forever will be in that picture and on that statue. That is why we as Marines should stand up for him and them and Marines of all eras at all times, or it will be over looked.

Semper Fi

I hold the same honor for that picture and the deed itself. I whole-heartedly agree with you. But, the point of the argument in question here isn't how the Native Americans feel...it's how the African Americans feel and we know back in that era...there was segregation and as sad as it was...I still feel Clint Eastwood's interpretation was pretty dam accurate. As far as the disrespect towards Native Americans, all I can tell you is how I feel as a Native American and I think its pretty obvious how Spike Lee feels about the film...as misdirected as it may be...I think he's clear about it.

jetdawgg
05-21-08, 06:23 PM
http://www.archives.gov/research/african-americans/ww2-pictures/images/african-americans-wwii-110.jpg

darkgreen0311
05-21-08, 06:27 PM
Good flick Dawgg you the man!!!

jetdawgg
05-21-08, 06:39 PM
Does Spike know the difference between a soldier and a Marine?

I do think that in the begining of 'Flags' there were some Montford Point Marines in the movie.

Next time it is on DTV I will look more intensly. I do think that Spike is headling here (with some reason to do so). I also do not think that Clint is racist

Darkgreen SF:usmc:

CplKJSpevak
05-21-08, 07:16 PM
What about "Heartbreak Ridge?" There was a darkgreen Marine in his platoon remember? The Guy with the earings who played guitar (Mario Van Peebles)

jetdoc
05-22-08, 09:36 AM
I knew a Montford Point Marine. Archibald Henderson Riley, he was one of the toughest dudes I've ever met, especially considering his age. I knew him because he had daughters that went to school with mine...He was 76 or so and I was in my late 30's at that point, lol.

One time I dropped off this big azz dog house at this house. It weighed probably about 150 lbs or more. I dropped it in his driveway and told him I'd come back later to help him move it to where he wanted.

Well I came back later and that dude had already move it by himself, way in his backyard....he said he just slid it till he got it back there. Dude had cuts at his age, and he was a short guy, but strong as a big dog.

I loved old Archie, sadly he passed in a car accident about 7 years ago. He had a Marine Corps burial however, that was so cool. He'd tell me Marine Corps stories from the late 40's, and showed me pics, he was a walking history book, (from the segregated Corps that is). That was when I first learned that not every enlisted Marine went to PI or SD...he went to Camp Lejune NC for Bootcamp.

Sorry to put you guys to sleep about Archie again.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n234/jetdoc/BlackDrillInstructors.jpg

http://montfordpointmarines.com/

OB MSG
05-22-08, 09:50 AM
Doc,

Always good to hear about the Old Guard of the Corps. That's how we keep the stories and the knowledge from disappearing, we pass it on, by word of mouth or however.

Sorry to hear of his passing, but you are still keeping him alive in here.

jetdawgg
05-22-08, 10:21 AM
Doc,

Always good to hear about the Old Guard of the Corps. That's how we keep the stories and the knowledge from disappearing, we pass it on, by word of mouth or however.

Sorry to hear of his passing, but you are still keeping him alive in here.

OB MSG those Montford Point Marines live on thru ALL of us today. We are MARINES:usmc:

darkgreen0311
05-22-08, 10:28 AM
Doc, that's also a nice flick.

Swampyankee
05-22-08, 11:44 AM
If Spike Lee wants to counter a perceived wrong then there are a lot of military subjects that concern the Black American service man. I wouldn't mind watching a new movie (done well and historicaly accurate that is) dealing with the armored unit manned by dark green soldiers during WW2, sorry I forget the unit at the moment. I believe they were attached to Patton. Or, it'd be nice to see what could be done with computer graphics to tell the story of the Tuskeegee airmen.
Or he could focus on the first military branch of this country to be as close to intergrated as was possible at the time. The Navy had plenty of black saliors on the frontline. Even some subs had personnel other than white. I worked with an old black guy once who had been a steward on a ship during the war. But what really interested me was that he said his battlestation was an anti-aircraft gun. Considering he was in the Pacific during the time the divine wind began blowing, I'd say that'd make a pretty interesting plot.

I know, this aint no squid forum.

AL49BGN
05-22-08, 12:07 PM
Those were some brave men.

Phantom Winger
05-22-08, 12:13 PM
What about "Heartbreak Ridge?" There was a darkgreen Marine in his platoon remember? The Guy with the earings who played guitar (Mario Van Peebles)

There were actually two darkgreen Marines.. Rodney Hill played Private Collins . A very diverse cast actually (even for 1986).

Zulu 36
05-22-08, 12:24 PM
Spike Lee forgets (on purpose probably) that Flag of our Fathers was mainly about two specific Marines and a Corpsman. Two white guys and a Pima Indian. That was the historical fact of the racial composition of that group. The rest of the flag raisers were also all white. Fact.

Yes, plenty of black Marines and soldiers served on Iwo and other places. My father saw black Marines fighting Japanese on Saipan and thought they were fine troops, especially since they weren't infantry.

If it bothers him so badly, Spike should put his money where his mouth is and make a historically correct movie about black service men in WWII.

Swampyankee has some excellent suggestions for movie topics. I can't remember the armored unit either, but they were an independant tank battalion and Patton had high regard for their prowess and aggressiveness. A flick about "Hashmark" Johnson and Montfort Point would be good too.

jetdawgg
05-22-08, 12:32 PM
http://www.surfthechannel.com/info/Movies/54506/Flags+of+our+Fathers.html

ggyoung
05-22-08, 12:43 PM
Do any of you guys remember the pitcher of a black guy firing the MG at the japs during the attack on Peril Harbor? Well that guy was awarded the Navy Cross.

jetdawgg
05-22-08, 12:58 PM
ggyoung, I think that Spike has some cred here, but on this particualr topic I think he went too far.

Clearly there ARE Black Marines in the movie. I don't think that Clint is racist. The story for the most part was about the "Flag" raising and the troops who raised the flag and not about the combat.

Spike can have a point that most American war movies in the past were made with less than accurate terms. On this one though, I think that is a stretch:usmc:

SF

OB MSG
05-22-08, 01:12 PM
[quote=jetdawgg]
Spike can have a point that most American war movies in the past were made with less than accurate terms. On this one though, I think that is a stretch:usmc:
__________________________________________________ ________________

Yeah, that's where Dramatization came in. You can never get every exactly accurate without having been there. Then even if you were there and it happened far enough in the past your memories may be a little clouded or slanted due to emotions or whatever conditions you were in at the time.

So, yeah, maybe they were a little off, but as you said Jet I think he, spike, was stretching on this one.

montana
05-22-08, 01:15 PM
Big Jim also at the first hoisting of the flag at Iwo Jima was a distent relative of my wife the great grandson of Chief Charlo..his name was pfc Louis (chuck) Charlo of the Bitterrroot Salish....he was kia a few days later after. hoisting the first flag on Feb 23...later that day a larger flag was raised and the pics were taken

jetdawgg
05-22-08, 01:25 PM
[quote=jetdawgg]
__________________________________________________ ________________

Yeah, that's where Dramatization came in. You can never get every exactly accurate without having been there. Then even if you were there and it happened far enough in the past your memories may be a little clouded or slanted due to emotions or whatever conditions you were in at the time.

So, yeah, maybe they were a little off, but as you said Jet I think he, spike, was stretching on this one.

OB MSG, even here Spike is kinda doing the same thing as he claims Clint is doing.

It happens quite frequently that the Army gets all the credit. Spike is calling all the troops 'soldiers'

It is as though he is not even recognizing the MARINES in the battle for Iwo Jima which clearly to me Clint is portraying in the battle scenes with Marines and Corpsmen.

So for him to say that Black men are not properly portrayed, then some Marines (even Black Marines) may want to point out to Spike that the MARINES/Corpsmen played a major role in the Clint Eastwood "Iwo" movies.

Not 'soldiers'. Pot. Kettle. Black:usmc:

Swampyankee
05-22-08, 01:35 PM
LOL, I found Heartbreak Ridge less in keeping with reality than many other war movies. Had nothing to do with number of diverse backgrounds portrayed or anything. I was even kind of surprised the Corps allowed the EGA to be shown in the movie, (use to be hollywood needed permission to use anything (any symbol) that denoted the USMC). The opening scenes didn't portray the Marine Corps I remember, let alone recon. Those ****birds they showed at the beginning looked more like brig rats waiting for a Big Chicken Diner then recon.

Swampyankee
05-22-08, 01:43 PM
Quote; It is as though he is not even recognizing the MARINES in the battle for Iwo Jima which clearly to me Clint is portraying in the battle scenes with Marines and Corpsmen.

Same in the book Wind Talkers, Corpsmen were called medics. I dropped an email to the makers of the movie before it came out, but they acted like it wasn't important.

jetdawgg
05-22-08, 01:57 PM
http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/RodneyDangerfield_Album_no_respect.jpg

when Hollywood tells our story:D

darkgreen0311
05-22-08, 02:21 PM
Ggyoung i think you're referring to Dory..........i think his last name was Miller he shot down several japanese aircraft. I believe it was during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

awbrown1462
05-23-08, 08:08 AM
Heartbreak Ridge started out as a Army movie but the Army didnt like the language so ole Clint went to the Marines who said ok

jetdawgg
05-23-08, 09:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUH11e0PEE&feature=related

Eric Hood
05-23-08, 02:57 PM
Black Marines served bravely under very rough conditions. These guys had to fight on two fronts. They aren't crybabies like Lee. They also saved us from an awful dictatorship. See "The Black Angels of Peleliu" This is in the book "Brotherhood of Heros".:usmc:
Thanks, Spike. Another big mouth from hollyweird bad mouthing America in France. Why don't these guys say something, anything good about America overseas? Now that would take guts!! It would also be a breath of fresh air.
Semper Fi,
Eric

Swampyankee
05-23-08, 03:36 PM
You have to bad mouth America in order to get a foreign award. Look at how it worked for Gore, got him a Noble Peace Prize.

SgtHMH
05-23-08, 04:36 PM
Ya well in the Pacific and Europe there were all colors fighting the Axis forces. There was a all Black Army Air Corps Squadron 399th and they made a movie about them. They were Mustang Pilots and when they were escorting B-17s to their targets, not one B-17 was lost to German Aircraft. Spike Lee needs to look at all history of WW 2 of what took place and were people were at and doing before he opens his mouth.

Ceya
05-24-08, 12:21 AM
Do any of you guys remember the pitcher of a black guy firing the MG at the japs during the attack on Peril Harbor? Well that guy was awarded the Navy Cross.

Seaman Dorie Miller . It should state that Black Sailor who fired the machine gun and was awarded the Navy Cross.

http://www.pearlharbor.org/dorie-miller.asp

Dorie Miller was awarded the Navy Cross by Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, on board USS Enterprise (CV-6) at Pearl Harbor, 27 May 1942, for heroism on board USS West Virginia (BB-48) during the Pearl Harbor Attack, 7 December 1941.

He was killed on 24 November 1943 in the line of duty while serving in action on board the USS Liscome Bay (CVE-56)during Operation Galvanic, (the seizure of Makin and Tarawa Atolls in the Gilbert Islands). While cruising near Butaritari Island, a single torpedo from Japanese submarine I-175 struck the escort carrier near the stern. The aircraft bomb magazine detonated a few moments later, sinking the warship within minutes.

In 1973, the USS Miller (FF-1091), a Knox-class frigate, was named in honor of Doris Miller.

S/F<
CEYA!

RLeon
05-24-08, 02:49 AM
What the heck is Lee complaining about? At least here was a black guy in the "Dirty Dozen" and who can forget Private Snowball.
I'm still waiting for a movie with a prominent Puerto Rican character.
:mad:
:D

mcvet57103
05-24-08, 11:15 AM
What the heck is Lee complaining about? At least here was a black guy in the "Dirty Dozen" and who can forget Private Snowball.
I'm still waiting for a movie with a prominent Puerto Rican character.
:mad:
:DWhere are the Dutch Americans, or the Mexican Americans, or the Yugoslavian Americans, etc. etc.

Swampyankee
05-24-08, 11:44 AM
The series a tour of duty back in the 80's had a Puerto Rican guy, I think, they didn't elaborate on his hispanic background.

As for me, I'm an American with nowhere to go if they said I would have to move back to the country of my roots. Not like being born here seems to have any bearing on the subject anymore these days, no matter your Skin tone. Sure an Afirican-American can return to Africa, but that's a big continent with alot of ethnic groups that hate each other. I give you the recent happenings in South Africa over the immigration issue. The South Africans are pulling apartie (SP?) on the foreigners. So as I see it, many of the other ethnic groups in this country, whose families has been here for more the 3 generations may be in the same boat as myself. Too much blood of diverse nations, tribes, clans etc. to know which country to return to. I represent the Dutch, French, German, English, Scotish, Irish and only God knows the rest. Lol, the Unknown ancestor, known only to God. As my father said, his family has been in this country for so long and being pioneers in the beginning any type of blood could be in the family tree. He made this statement after he found out we had Irish in our blood after years of badmouthing the Irish,lol. I'm glad he found that out before I married my Irish/English wife.
Anyway, put all that blood together and the only place for me is here, as a plain old American. OK, hang white on front of that if you must, but it may not be entirely true. :p .

mcvet57103
05-24-08, 11:49 AM
The series a tour of duty back in the 80's had a Puerto Rican guy, I think, they didn't elaborate on his hispanic background.

As for me, I'm an American with nowhere to go if they said I would have to move back to the country of my roots. Not like being born here seems to have any bearing on the subject anymore these days, no matter your Skin tone. Sure an Afirican-American can return to Africa, but that's a big continent with alot of ethnic groups that hate each other. I give you the recent happenings in South Africa over the immigration issue. The South Africans are pulling apartie (SP?) on the foreigners. So as I see it, many of the other ethnic groups in this country, whose families has been here for more the 3 generations may be in the same boat as myself. Too much blood of diverse nations, tribes, clans etc. to know which country to return to. I represent the Dutch, French, German, English, Scotish, Irish and only God knows the rest. Lol, the Unknown ancestor, known only to God. As my father said, his family has been in this country for so long and being pioneers in the beginning any type of blood could be in the family tree. He made this statement after he found out we had Irish in our blood after years of badmouthing the Irish,lol. I'm glad he found that out before I married my Irish/English wife.
Anyway, put all that blood together and the only place for me is here, as a plain old American. OK, hang white on front of that if you must, but it may not be entirely true. :p .Well said. I am of 6 different bloods by ancestry but I DO NOT ever hyphenate my American status. I am an American born and bred, and proud of it. I don't need or want to flaunt my ancestry to try to prove I am somebody. Was just trying to illustrate the stupidity of racism.

RON 68
05-26-08, 12:19 AM
black, white, red, tan, brown, yellow, whatever.they all bled red! and all wore the blue's,and the green's all true Marine's. i never saw the problem.

Semper-Fi Ron 68

jetdawgg
05-26-08, 12:35 PM
black, white, red, tan, brown, yellow, whatever.they all bled red! and all wore the blue's,and the green's all true Marine's. i never saw the problem.

Semper-Fi Ron 68

Just what branch of the US military did Spike serve again?:usmc:

RON 68
05-26-08, 05:57 PM
Just what branch of the US military did Spike serve again?:usmc:

i don't think spike ever served,maybe somebody in harlem....or that movie with the pizza guys.do the right thing!!thats it he served PIZZA...

all Marines are green....that is my point.and i can care less what "Spike" think's.he never put a dime in my pocket.as Mr. T might say. i pity the fool...

Semper-Fi. Ron 68

jetdawgg
05-27-08, 03:00 PM
i don't think spike ever served,maybe somebody in harlem....or that movie with the pizza guys.do the right thing!!thats it he served PIZZA...

all Marines are green....that is my point.and i can care less what "Spike" think's.he never put a dime in my pocket.as Mr. T might say. i pity the fool...

Semper-Fi. Ron 68

I don't think that he even 'played' a soldier in any of his movies:D

pablox1139
05-27-08, 03:30 PM
Why are we still talking about this turd?

mcvet57103
05-27-08, 04:06 PM
Why are we still talking about this turd?My thoughts exactly!!! Well said. :thumbup:

RON 68
05-28-08, 06:39 PM
outstanding ending. carry on. nothing to see or hear.now what was the rate of fire on the model 614 again? Semper-fi. Ron 68

Jim Oliver
05-28-08, 09:45 PM
Actually, to be anything-American you must be the first born generation in this country from parents of another country who have emigrated here.

For example: An Italian couple come here from Italy and their child is born here.

That makes the kid an Italian-American. Every generation born after that is just a plain 'merican.

RLeon
05-29-08, 01:21 AM

LOL, I thought about that guy whe I created my earlier post.
In fact that's the same actor that played the Cuban guy on Heartbreak Ridge, the one that went UA.

MarineNCO
05-29-08, 07:57 AM
Actually, to be anything-American you must be the first born generation in this country from parents of another country who have emigrated here.

For example: An Italian couple come here from Italy and their child is born here.

That makes the kid an Italian-American. Every generation born after that is just a plain 'merican.

ACTUALLY...*smirk*...If you immigrate here from another country and become an American citizen that makes you (nationality)<NATIONALITY><NATIONALITY>-American. If you are born on U.S. Soil you are an American. So it states on your birth certificate and so it is. Anyhting else is plain old garbage.

OB MSG
05-29-08, 08:12 AM
MarineNCO

Amen, brother! I don't want to down anyones heritage, we should all be proud of the roots we sprang from, BUT, we are Americans. We're not this-American or that-American, maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety before my time, but I believe that we are just plain old Americans, no hyphenation needed. (or wanted in my case.)

Jim Oliver
05-29-08, 08:39 AM
MarineNCO,

Thanks for the correction. You can keep the smirk and use it on someone else.

Quinbo
05-29-08, 08:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2K-_2AHYh0

LOL

MarineNCO
05-29-08, 09:09 AM
MarineNCO,

Thanks for the correction. You can keep the smirk and use it on someone else.

Guess I should have used a smiley to relate the humor/irony instead of a smirk huh? :beer: