PDA

View Full Version : Graduate Marches Off to Marines

thedrifter
05-21-08, 09:24 AM
Graduate Marches Off to Marines

By MARTIN SALAZAR Journal Staff Writer

Matt Barnes sprinted through the University of New Mexico, earning his bachelor's in economics and Spanish in just four years.

But rather than go to graduate school or into business, Barnes will head to Officer Candidate School at the end of the month, a physical and mental proving ground for those who want to lead Marines.

"I don't want to wake up one day when I'm 30 years old and regret not having been a part of that and not being a part of serving my country," said Barnes, 22.

Service is a tradition for his family. His grandfather served in the Navy, his father was a police officer and his brother is in the Naval Academy.

Barnes -- who has taken on leadership roles at UNM, serving in the student senate and as student body vice president -- said he's always been interested in the military. He said he's excited about the prospect of making a difference in the lives of 18-year-olds looking for their calling.

"You hear all these wonderful stories about how somebody was off the straight and narrow, and they go to the military and it teaches them discipline ... and they kind of find themselves," Barnes said.

"That doesn't come from the military. It comes from the officers in the military, the people who go in and want to lead them. And that's something I would love to be a part of. It's kind of like being a teacher, but to a totally different (type) of individuals."

Barnes, who grew up in Corrales, has signed an eightyear commitment to the Marines. He said he's fine with whatever those eight years bring -- including possible deployment to Iraq.

"If everybody turns away from it and says, 'I don't want to go,'... then you're going to have a worse mess than what's perceived now," he said. "I'd be honored to serve over there with the men and women that are doing it."

Ellie