PDA

View Full Version : Marksmanship Instructor

Haffner
05-19-08, 10:30 PM
Good evening, all. Thank you in advance for any insightful (or funny) replies that I get.I've been thinking about trying to knock out a B billet as soon as I pick up Sgt and the one I really want to...

Haffner
05-19-08, 10:31 PM
I apologize for no breaks in that endless paragraph. I put them in there it just seems that the internet wants to more realistically portray my enthusiasm lol.

greensideout
05-19-08, 10:44 PM
"No breaks in that endless" pull of the trigger---lol---if you were not suprised when it went off, you screwed up!

thewookie
05-20-08, 06:15 AM
Oh man this is going to be long.... <br />
<br />
Fist off, things may have changed but I still don't think PMI duty or working as a range coach counts as a B Billet. Definitely not as a range coach. I may be...

CplKJSpevak
05-20-08, 12:14 PM
Cpl. Haffner congratulations on your recent promotion.....I'll tell you this, do you plan on staying in as a career? if so be a DI they are considered the cream of the crop professionals, plus, you'll be the ultimate teacher those nasty recruits will never forget!! good luck devil dog..

Whitey
05-20-08, 03:20 PM
my kill hat was a PMI before drill instructor and said PMI school was harder

Haffner
05-20-08, 08:04 PM
Thanks, Cpl, it's much appreciated. Anyways, being a DI would definently be sweet; we'll see if I'm ready for that someday. I truly believe not just any old devil dog can take on that responsability....

Big Jim
05-20-08, 08:18 PM
Being a PMI was the most rewarding job I've ever had in my life!!! If ever I had the choice of doing something that I absolutely LOVED to do...going back in and training Marines to shoot and re-qual is what I'd pick!!! I wouldn't trade it for love or money!!!

PMI school was difficult...you had be able to do some quick figuring in your head and accurately as well as be able to understand and explain how ballistics are effected by wind, heat and cold and effectively employ that training. It was a tedious school...

Haffner
05-20-08, 08:26 PM
I can only imagine that it's very tedious and mentally challenging, but I'm up for it as soon as I'm able. Pass the course or die trying, right? (...maybe I shouldn't joke like that when it comes to a school involving ammo and rifles...lol).

It feels rewarding already just being a coach on the range (not by MOS, yet, but acting) and watching the improvement. I'm more excited for their own qual day tomorrow, more than I am usually for my own. I've got two Marines that recently unq'ed and today they were shooting low 220''s. If they get expert (even though for the fiscal year it'll only count for them as a 190 for promotion points) I'll **** bricks.

Quinbo
05-20-08, 09:41 PM
When coaching just remember muzzle to toe. Look at everything from muzzle to toe. Tiny little things get missed and you aint shooting for score but that is your pupil. Does your shooter have the low light aperature up? Is the sling adjusted correctly? Position muscle on bone vs bone on bone. Are they slapping the trigger or easing it back. Flinching or blinking? Rapid fire magazine exchange. Slow fire are they looking up to see their score before follow through on their target? Natural respiratory pause on every shot and not rushing? As a coach you can say don't worry about saved rounds ... the ones you fire in the black will count. As a PMI you can say I want to see this Marine fire 10 more from here and hand him another mag.