View Full Version : Best friend Marines return home same day

thedrifter
05-19-08, 08:24 PM
Best friend Marines return home same day

written by: Tom Cole , Photojournalist
reported by: Ward Lucas , Anchor/Reporter
posted by: Colleen Locke , Producer created: 5/19/2008 5:45:35 PM
Last updated: 5/19/2008 6:49:08 PM

KUSA - Two mothers recently welcomed home their Marine sons for Mother's Day. Lance Cpl. Austin Lanier and Nick Moon returned from Iraq for a three week leave of duty.

"I love my family, it's unreal," said Nick Moon as he made his way through Denver International Airport.

The two high school buddies came home to Colorado on the same day. This is no coincidence. They went to the same boot camp and then went to Iraq in the same platoon.

"It definitely helped being with a friend from high school in Iraq," said Moon. "Being able to talk about Fort Collins, our buddies back home, it was a great experience."

Sunday afternoon brought friends and family together at Lanier's home. It turns out there are others from the same high school class that went off to Iraq. Lanier points to five photographs on his wall, fellow classmates turned Marines.

"There's my buddy Travis who I went to high school with and he went to boot camp with me. This is one of my best friends for my whole life; he joined while I was in Iraq," Lanier said while pointing to another photo.

For whatever reason, Rocky Mountain High School churned out a few Marines from this class of 2006, making their moms very proud and bringing families closer.

"We all wanted to do something great for our country. We all wanted to get out there and make a difference," said Moon.

"The families didn't really know one another until the boys were getting ready to go to boot camp. Then we all kind of became one family," said Robyn Devine, whose son is in California.

Young men from a Fort Collins high school, bringing family together and watching each other's backs in the Middle East.

Ellie