PDA

View Full Version : M1911A1 follow up

gunnyhiles
05-18-08, 10:16 AM
Why and what was the need for development of a handgun with the features of the M1911?
Damn, if I break out my Guidebook for Marines, circa 1955, I could get many more questions :evilgrin:

sparkie
05-18-08, 10:20 AM
The terrible thing is, the US gov spent many bucks developing the 40, for the FBI that ended up with just about the same ballistics.Good ole Gov. money.
By the way, your answer has to do with leaf chewing, don't it?

jrhd97
05-18-08, 10:21 AM
Don't know if this is what you are looking for Gunny.
The Moros were bound, drugged , and religioned up and the 38 wasn't stopping them. So the 45 came about.

gunnyhiles
05-18-08, 10:26 AM
Don't know if this is what you are looking for Gunny.
The Moros were bound, drugged , and religioned up and the 38 wasn't stopping them. So the 45 came about.
Put that man for a Meritorious Mast!

gunnyhiles
05-18-08, 10:28 AM
The terrible thing is, the US gov spent many bucks developing the 40, for the FBI that ended up with just about the same ballistics.Good ole Gov. money.
:evilgrin:
Another Marine for a Meritorious Mast!

gunnyhiles
05-18-08, 10:45 AM
Sparkie earns his Good Conduct for knowing the Modification was for:
"Origional m1911 did not have a grip saftey, went off too easy. too many foot holes."

yellowwing
05-18-08, 01:32 PM
30 years from now we will be telling Young Devil Pups, "Back in the Old Corps we used gun powder to drive a round down range." And they will look at us funny but respectful.

gunnyhiles
05-18-08, 01:39 PM
30 years from now we will be telling Young Devil Pups, "Back in the Old Corps we used gun powder to drive a round down range." And they will look at us funny but respectful.
Remember the Marine with a Shield and Spear? Issued 78twice gear.

sparkie
05-18-08, 08:53 PM
782,,,,bucket and all. I have had the good fortune to share my shelter half with a lady for 37 years.

greensideout
05-18-08, 09:18 PM
Origional m1911 did not have a grip saftey, went off too easy. too many foot holes."[/FONT]

My memory of the changes from the 1905 to the 1911 then to the 1911A1 were---

Following its success in trials, the Colt pistol was formally adopted by the Army on March 29, 1911, thus gaining its designation, M1911 (Model of 1911). It was adopted by the Navy and Marine Corps in 1913. Originally manufactured only by Colt, demand for the firearm in World War I saw the expansion of manufacture to the government-owned Springfield Armory.

Battlefield experience in the First World War led to some more small external changes, completed in 1924. The new version received a modified type classification, M1911A1. Changes to the original design were minor and consisted of a shorter trigger, cutouts in the frame behind the trigger, a curved mainspring housing, a longer grip safety spur (to prevent hammer bite), a wider front sight, a shorter spur on the hammer, and simplified grip checkering. Those unfamiliar with the design are often unable to tell the difference between the two versions at a glance. No internal changes were made, and parts remained interchangeable between the two.