PDA

View Full Version : Post office named for fallen Marine

thedrifter
05-18-08, 08:48 AM
Post office named for fallen Marine
KVUE-TV Austin - May 17

A Round Rock Marine that lost his life in Iraq received a special honor.

A building was dedicated to Corporal Steven Gill Saturday morning in the presence of friends and family.

“Steven was the first Marine killed in Round Rock, why not, what a better way to honor my son,” said Rose Camero-Gill. “He was a humble man and he would say ‘Gah mom, you're making such a big deal.’”

Months ago Mrs. Camero-Gill wrote a letter to US Congressman John Carter, telling him about Steven. The end result of that letter is a post office on Sam Bass Road that will bare Corporal Gill's name.

“We thought he was a good representative of all the people, men and women who served in this war on terror. So we were able to put his name forward in front of the congress and he was accepted. So now this is the Steven Gill Post Office and I'm proud to have had a part in it,” said Carter.

Steven joined the marines in January 2002. He was killed on July 21st, 2005 while on a reconnaissance mission in Iraq.

Dozens of family, friends, veterans and Sunday school students Steven taught before he enlisted attended. They thought it was important to take the time and honor a young man who bravely gave his life for what he believed in.

“It definitely shows you who Steve was, that this many people would turn out," said Staff Sgt. Mark Dornak. "I know people traveled from 6-10 hours away, so it definitely shows the impact he had not just on marines, but on fellow humans.”

For Steven’s parents, Bill and Rose, it was a day of pride. While they will never stop grieving for Steven, this tribute means his legacy will live on.

Ellie