PDA

View Full Version : Veterans' welcome was long time coming

thedrifter
05-18-08, 08:16 AM
May 18, 2008
Veterans' welcome was long time coming

By Cordell Eddings
cordell.eddings@indystar.com

Charles Hahn was one of the Vietnam War soldiers who returned home to war protests and criticism.

"They warned us, but I just turned 21. I don't think any of us were ready for that," said Hahn, 61, Nineveh.

For many veterans, there were no welcome-home parades or other celebrations. Hahn, instead, remembers getting off a plane in Chicago after spending two years in Vietnam and being spat upon by a woman protesting the unpopular war.

On Saturday, organizers of Indianapolis' first Welcome Home celebration for Vietnam War veterans hoped it wasn't too late to make amends.

Hahn was one of hundreds of Vietnam War veterans, their family members and other supporters who filled the auditorium of the Indiana War Memorial for the welcoming celebration -- a recognition that many veterans felt was long overdue.

Welcoming speakers included Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard and Maj. Gen. R. Martin Umbarger, adjutant general of the Indiana National Guard.

A banner outside the memorial made it clear to all: "The city of Indianapolis Welcomes Home Vietnam Veterans."

"It's been a long time coming. Too long," said Ballard, who greeted the veterans before and after the ceremony.

"I thought it was important for the city to do it, so at least one municipality is saying, 'Thanks for what you did,' " said Ballard, who served in the Marines during the first Gulf War.

Olgen Williams, deputy mayor for neighborhoods and a Vietnam War veteran, agreed, saying it took him several years to stop feeling ashamed of his military service.

"For a long time, we just didn't talk about it," Williams said. "I don't think people understand how important saying 'Welcome Home' is. And maybe they will never understand, but it means everything to us."

For others, it's been harder to adjust.

"When soldiers came back from the first Gulf War, they told us to go out and welcome the soldiers back," Hahn said. "I said, 'I'm not doing it.' I didn't feel right doing it, and I didn't do it."

He said it has been difficult dealing with how he was treated on his return from Vietnam, but he said Saturday's ceremony helped.

"It really has, but it shouldn't have taken them so long to do it," he said.

Vietnam War veteran Cliff Graham, 57, Indianapolis, stared at the welcoming banner outside and questioned whether the ceremony would make any difference.

"I'm looking for something, but I have no idea what it is. No idea on earth," said Graham, who served more than 22 years in the Army.

He said his experiences during and after the war in Vietnam left him bitter for years, affecting his relationships with other people.

After Saturday's ceremony, he said he couldn't help but get emotional.

"I couldn't stop choking up," he said, smiling. "We needed this. I'm glad I came."

Ellie