PDA

View Full Version : Marines in Movies

TheJester
04-30-03, 08:59 PM
How many Movies do you all know of that depicts a Marine and/or the Entire Marine Corps?
I have so far:

Full Metal Jacket
The Rock
Dead Presidents
A few good men
Heartbreak Ridge
Rules of Engagement

Can you all think of any others?

top1371
04-30-03, 09:24 PM
err.. Sands of Iwo Jima

Semper Fi,

immaproshooter
04-30-03, 09:54 PM
- Guadalcanal Diary

thedrifter
04-30-03, 09:56 PM
Here are a few more Movies about Marines that I can recall......

The Outsider
The StarSpangled Banner (1st major film about Marines)
The Unbeliever
What Price Glory?
Battle Cry
Tell It To The Marines
Devil Dogs of the Air
Flight
To The Shores of Tripoli
Wake Island
Gung Ho
Marine Raiders
The Halls of Montezuma
Flying Leathernecks
Retreat, Hell
Beachhead
The D.I.
55 Days at Peking
The Boys in Company C
The Wind and the Lion
Coming Home
Born on the 4th of July
The Great Santini

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

marinemom
04-30-03, 09:59 PM
Anyone remember Flying Leathernecks?

WWII and John Wayne - Marine movies gents.

TheJester
04-30-03, 11:22 PM
Good god drifter. I didn't know there was that many. i'm gonna have to check those out when I get home :)

Barrio_rat
05-01-03, 02:16 AM
There's also -

The Walking Dead
High Crimes
Windtalkers
Tora! Tora! Tora!
The Battle for Midaway
Pearl
An Officer and a Gentleman
Baby Blue Marine
Siege of Firebase Gloria
Tribes
A Rumor of War
Baa, Baa, Black Sheep (yeah, it was a TV series but started as a movie)
Inchon
Heaven and Earth
Independence Day
Uncommon Valor

Go here (they have a huge list of USMC Movies) - http://perso.wanadoo.fr/usmc-collectors/fichiers%20html%20us/page%20presentation.htm

CrazyBrave83
05-01-03, 05:05 PM
However...don't forget the ultimate cheesy Marine movie...
"Death Before Dishonor"

I'll run down the plot for any of you who haven't seen it.

The entire movie revolves around one Gunnery Sergeant Burns, a Marine who reports for duty at an American Embassy in a Middle Eastern country. Upon arriving he meets the US Ambassador who feels the MSG detatchment Burns is with should remain in the shadows, so as not to Upset the Middle Eastern people. However, this proves to be a mistake when terrorists take the embassy over easily, due to the fact that the MSGs are limited in their abiliites due to the Ambassador. Well...you know what that means. Gunny Burns has to kick a** and forget names because he's the one man force that the terrorists have to deal with.

I saw it with my buddy who's obsessed with the Corps (he goes to Norwich now, gonna be a Marine officer), so it was a good time...you can probably rent it somewhere.

Cheezballz
06-05-03, 10:01 AM
I SEEN ONE WHEN THEIR WAS A GROUP OF MARINES IN AN ISLAND STRANDED WITH THE JAPANESE. tHEY BEFRIEND BECAUSE THEY NEED EACHE OTHER 2 SURVIVE. BUT AT THE END THEY UNWILLINGLY DECLARE WAR SAYING IT WAS THEIR DUTY. THE MARINES KILL THE JAPANESE AND GET RESCUED. gOOD MOVIE. I SEEN IT ON A&E CHANNEL. I THINK IT WAS BLACK N WHITE NOT SURE BUT IT WAS OLD

fabboss
06-05-03, 10:36 PM
"Heaven Knows Mr Allison"

Marine stranded on japanese held island with a Nun.

fabboss
06-05-03, 10:38 PM
and that all time stinker "baby blue marine"

03Infantry
06-06-03, 12:24 AM
let us not forget Gomer pyle on tv. And there is one with Marines in bootcamp. It is pretty old (not full metal jacket), dang it. I can't remember who is in it. There is some pretty famous people. Well I have no idea

wrbones
06-06-03, 12:28 AM
already listed. Jack Webb in 'The D.I.' Is that the one?

03Infantry
06-06-03, 12:31 AM
I think so. I just saw it on tv one day.

Jim
06-06-03, 05:33 AM
None But the Brave is the one with the Marines and Japanese trapped on an island. Clint Walker is the Marine pilot and Frank Sinatra plays the corpsman with Bobby Darrin (I think) as the young gungho LT.

Hell in the Pacific with Lee Marvin

The Private Navy of Sgt OFarrell with Bob Hope

Dangerous Minds (?) the Marine turned teacher

can't remember the name but Rebecca DeMornay is a Marine NCO who gets out to join the FBI

and of course Lee Marvin dresses up in Marine uniform for a short sequence in Paint Your Wagon

CPLRapoza
06-09-03, 06:09 AM
Y'all forgot :

Dog Fight
American Ninja 2

Patrick8605
06-09-03, 09:52 AM
Rules of Engagement was one. Pretty good movie.

Super Dave
06-09-03, 12:53 PM
I caught "Tell it to the Marines" last night. First time I had seen it.
Was pretty good movie.

Tell It to the Marines
103 min.
Lon Chaney (in a rare film appearance sans makeup) stars as a hard-boiled leatherneck drill instructor trying to turn recruits into fighting men. Pvt. “Skeet” Burns: William Haines. Norma: Eleanor Boardman. Cpl. Madden: Eddie Gribbon. Zaya: Carmel Myers. Chinese Bandit Leader: Warner Oland. Native: Mitchell Lewis. Gen. Wilcox: Frank Currier. Harry: Maurice E. Kains.

Cast: Lon Chaney, William Haines, Eleanor Boardman, Frank Currier, Eddie Gribbon, Maurice E. Kains, Mitchell Lewis, Carmel Myers, Warner Oland
Category: Movie, Drama
Director: George W. Hill
Release Year: 1926

gemntx
06-09-03, 01:01 PM
How About......

Midway
Final Countdown
Hard Knox(?) w/Robert Conrad
Baa Baa Blacksheep (later became a TV series)

These a just a few of the top of my head, not surprising they all have some flying in them.

wrbones
06-09-03, 01:34 PM
Friggin' pilots anyway....only got one thing on their minds....:D

06-09-03, 07:10 PM
I can't think of any other's, but Bug's Bunny dresses up as a Marine at the end of one of the episodes and marches into the sunset singing the Hymn.