PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson Award Winner: Marva Lyons

thedrifter
05-15-08, 11:37 AM
Jefferson Award Winner: Marva Lyons
Reporting
Kate Kelly
Richmond (CBS 5) ―

A fresh wipe, razor blades, salt and pepper... just a few of the items Marva Lyons lists as she packs them carefully into plastic bags to be mailed to U.S. troops.

"The include a little flag today -- Memorial Day is coming up!" she says with a smile.

The packets are called C-rations: non essential items that offer a taste of home and comfort to those in the military. The group packing them got its start four years ago when Marva's son James enlisted in the Marines. She wrote to him daily, but was disheartened to learn others in his group weren't so lucky.

"He would say, 'Mom, can you believe that some of the guys at boot camp are not getting any mail?'" Marva recalls. "I thought, well, James, I can take care of that."

So Marva enlisted her friends to write cards and letters. They called themselves "Their Angels." Soon they included care packages, but always with a personal touch.

"Every package that we prepare has a note of support and encouragement. So while we pack the goodies and the troops really enjoy what we send, it's the note of encouragement and support that lasts forever," Marva explains.

Each letter is unique and personal, and because they arrive within a week, they can talk about current events or what ar favorite hometown team is doing.

In four years, Their Angels has sent more than 14,000 letters and packets. Thirty to fifty volunteers gather the first Saturday of every month in Richmond: church members, veterans, and military families like volunteer Trudy Maddy. Her godson is on his third tour of Iraq.

"I felt that if I was going to say I supported the troops, then I really needed to put some action behind those words," Trudy says. "He's so happy every time he gets them, he emails me and Marva."

Emails of appreciation and photos from the field are proudly displayed.

One reads, "We received some of your care packages here at Camp Fallujah and they are certainly uplifting. I want you to know it brought a smile to many, many faces."

That's more than enough thanks for Marva and her angels.

"For every heart that we touch, that's a family we have touched," says Marva.

And even though her own son, James, will be coming home soon, Marva and Their Angels will continue to reach out to the men and women far away from home.

Marva adds, "To think there could be someone out there not receiving something, that's my motivation."

For sending encouragement and support to our troops overseas, this week's Jefferson Awards in the Bay Area goes to Marva Lyons.

Ellie