PDA

View Full Version : Air Traffic Controller of the Year announced

thedrifter
05-15-08, 11:19 AM
Air Traffic Controller of the Year announced

MC1 HEATHER W. HINES
Navy Compass Staff

Staff Sgt. Nicholas M. Gogul of Marine Air Control Squadron 1, Detachment Bravo was awarded the 2008 Air Traffic Controller of the Year award, during the 2008 Air Traffic Controller Association Symposium May 11-15.

The award, named in honorof Vice Adm. Robert B. Pirie, is presented for outstanding contributions to operational readiness and safety applied by individual Navy and Marine Corps Air Traffic Controller.

Gogul was amongst eight Navy and Marine Corps finalists He was ultimately was selected for his superior performance as Air Traffic Control Crew Chief while assigned in Iraq. Gogul is credited performing his duties in an exemplary, highly professional manner, as the Operation and Training Chief. Prior to deploying, he ensured all essential pre-deployment training was completed for 71 Marines and Sailors.

He also was responsible for preventing a potential mid-air collision that would have involved a C-130 Hercules. His immediate response and reaction was a key factor in preventing the lost of over 50 lives as well as millions of dollars of aviation assets.

Gogul also accumulated more than 900 incident-free hours and ensured the expedition movement of more 10,000 aircraft operation.

He was also responsible training 11 Marines and Sailors on various functions of radar operations and accumulated over 400 on-the-job training hours. “I’m here today because of all of my Marines and Sailors,” said Gogul. “During my last deployment, I served with a lot of the Sailors, which was probably one of the best experiences I’ve had.”

“I’ve can say that’s I’ve gone with my gut (feeling) in all that I do. With the busy pace that all (air traffic) controllers live with of ‘where we’re going’ and ‘what we’re doing’, going with my gut … that’s pretty much what I go with in all things that I do.”

“I’m glad to have been recognized and proud to serve.”

Upon receipt, Commander, Naval Air Forces/Commander, Naval Air Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet Vice Admiral Thomas J. "Tom" Kilcline, Jr. presented Gogul with a Navy and Marine Corps Commendation medal.

Vice Adm. Robert B. Pirie, Jr. served as Deputy Chief of Navy Operation (Air) 1958-1962 and was credited with maintaining the Navy’s air traffic controller program, following the enactment of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958.

Ellie