PDA

View Full Version : Marine Veterans in Law Enforcement

prcuffs
05-15-08, 12:28 AM
As a Marine Veteran, I take great pride in my past and the lessons learned while in active duty. Today, as a Lieutenant in a large Law Enforcement Agency in California, I can't help but beam with pride in the discipline and character shown by fellow veterans (regardless of branch of service) versus that of some of my fellow law enforcement officers who never served in the military.

I have had the extreme privilage of working with fellow Marines and have seen them react with total professionalism and courage in moments which would make others loose their cool.

Another difference I have noticed is how we (veterans) chose our profession and made it into an extension of our primary goal while in service in the Armed Forces, to serve our country. Now, the younger generation seems to take a position in law enforcement with "the old mighty dollar" as a motivator.

As I look around, I see our veterans taking orders or completing tasks with minimum to no questions asked..those who have not served, seem to lack the discipline at time and must be told the "why" before they even begin to take action, or won't do it unless they know the "what's in it for me" factor.

Am I the only one who feel this way or am I seeing things in with a jaded eye?

Big Jim
05-15-08, 03:00 AM
As a Marine Veteran, I take great pride in my past and the lessons learned while in active duty. Today, as a Lieutenant in a large Law Enforcement Agency in California, I can't help but beam with pride in the discipline and character shown by fellow veterans (regardless of branch of service) versus that of some of my fellow law enforcement officers who never served in the military.

I have had the extreme privilage of working with fellow Marines and have seen them react with total professionalism and courage in moments which would make others loose their cool.

Another difference I have noticed is how we (veterans) chose our profession and made it into an extension of our primary goal while in service in the Armed Forces, to serve our country. Now, the younger generation seems to take a position in law enforcement with "the old mighty dollar" as a motivator.

As I look around, I see our veterans taking orders or completing tasks with minimum to no questions asked..those who have not served, seem to lack the discipline at time and must be told the "why" before they even begin to take action, or won't do it unless they know the "what's in it for me" factor.

Am I the only one who feel this way or am I seeing things in with a jaded eye?

There's a difference between branches, too. Have you noticed how many Marines you come across? You'll be amazed..and not so lonely...I was...I knew I could depend on the Marines more so than anyboody else...and thats what I remember coming up in mid-level management.....Marines are to depended upon!!!!!

Swampyankee
05-15-08, 09:16 AM
I don't know about other states, but from where I come from the non-vet LEO seemed to have been spoiled by the union. Whereas us of mil. background learned there wasn't any union protection and got use to it. In fact I never, in the whole time I was active, ever gave being nonunion a thought. But when grievances are available, well...

I know that unions can be beneficial, but the pendulum can swing both ways. I think its gone way to over to the other side (workers) in some cases. I heard of auto industry workers being protected by the union to the point that some would sleep on the job.

gutinstinct
05-15-08, 03:06 PM
It's that instinct we get over time as former Marines (and now LEO's). That we can spot or pickout our brothers and sisters whenever they don any type of uniform. Then comes our performance. Need I say more ? Be safe.

yellowwing
05-15-08, 03:42 PM
As I look around, I see our veterans taking orders or completing tasks with minimum to no questions asked..those who have not served
I'm not in Law Enforcement, but it seems it is much easier to work with fellow Veterans. I've never heard, "That's not my job" from a Veteran.

darkgreen0311
05-15-08, 03:51 PM
That's true Yellowwing it is easier to work with any veteran in Law Enforcement but, better with Marines. Because they already know about team work and what it means to get the job done. Most non-veterans that i've worked i find them to be cry babies and have no discipline. I had a few tell me they thought the Police Academy was hard. Myself and other Marines would laugh in their faces and tell them they have no idea what hard was.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

pablox1139
05-15-08, 04:04 PM
I have 4 fellow Marines on my afternoon shift...I never have to worry about backup...I rarely have to call for it....they simply show up! 3 of us are out of the same academy......OORAH!

Finger
05-15-08, 04:45 PM
I'm a retired Marine and cop. Taught for over 15 years in the local academy. I will take Marines as students anyday. They gaff off the BS, can pass the PT when they show up, take things seriously, can shoot, and rise as leaders in the class very quickly.

Does cause some jealousy, but screw them.

S/F
Finger

prcuffs
05-15-08, 08:17 PM
I truely appreciate the feedback I am getting from all of you. As I sit hear and think, one of the things I have noticed is that we as Marines, have a code of conduct and integrity which is unsurpassed by anyone. I for instance, have always believed in owning up to my mistakes, specially on the job, and if needs be, I take my lumps.

As a mid-level manager, I have noticed that when my Sergeants speak to former Marines about issues or complaints two things usually occur;
1. They own up to whatever happened
2. They speak to supervisors immediately after an incident occur and give them a heads up, before the complaint is even filed.

Alhujo
05-21-08, 03:47 PM
This may get long winded and I apologize up front. I am glad to see this thread. I liked the post on the union issues. I have worked at a Federal Prison for close to 19 yrs now, and did 9 in the Corps. I see the pedulum get stuck so many times for the few, the not so proud, and the lazy, that I don't want any part of it. Do your job, do it well, and if you feel wronged... hire a lawyer. It's not ALL unions but some small local unions abuse their power to be self serving for a few and screw the rest union or not. I'll get off that soap box. I also agree that Marines are good employees to any employer. Sure there are a few dirt bags out there but they do not overrun the good name of "Marine". It's like some people think a poacher gives hunters a bad name. If they use their heads they would see that a poacher is not, and never was, a hunter, he is a poacher. - Ed, I left service at El Toro in 89' I was in 323 Death Rattler's till they went overseas, then I worked the "B.O.Q." from the fall of 88' till the spring of 89'. Then moved to the hush house for a short sweet month or two (that was some cush duty). Just giving you a holler to see where you were in 88'

SgtHMH
05-21-08, 05:05 PM
I'm a Disabled State Officer in the Line of Duty and retired in the line of duty. I was always there for the other Officers and they knew I would back them up at anytime. When something happend a...

prcuffs
05-21-08, 06:57 PM
Hi Alec....Well let's see, In 88 I left El Toro (H&MS13) and moved down the road to H&MS 16 Tustin. I was in the last group to leave El Toro when MAG 13 left to go to Yuma. So yeah, we stumped the same grounds...If I am not mistaken, we supported the Death Rattlers. Good to hear from you.

Whitey
05-21-08, 07:40 PM
why is it that so many law enforcement agencies have a lot of former marines? i find it funny cause after i get out of the corps i want to become a state trooper

Big Jim
05-21-08, 08:55 PM
why is it that so many law enforcement agencies have a lot of former marines? i find it funny cause after i get out of the corps i want to become a state trooper

Most Law Enforcement agencies are paramilitary organizations with standards and rank structures just like our military. We Marines have always proven ourselves as having a strict self-discipline and dedication to duty and attention to detail...all the attributes ANY Law Enforcment agency could ask for!! If you go into the State Troopers after your Marine Corps tour...you'll find many Marines in their ranks.

Coachgun
05-21-08, 09:16 PM
whats cool is getting pulled over by a Former Marine and when they find out you were in the Corps. Its like a reunion.

prcuffs
05-21-08, 09:19 PM
Most Law Enforcement agencies are paramilitary organizations with standards and rank structures just like our military. We Marines have always proven ourselves as having a strict self-discipline and dedication to duty and attention to detail...all the attributes ANY Law Enforcment agency could ask for!! If you go into the State Troopers after your Marine Corps tour...you'll find many Marines in their ranks.

Well said, Big Jim. I was a Background Investigator for 5 years, and was also responsible for re-writing the Background Investigations Manual for my department. If there is one thing that most definately gives someone a better looking at by a police department when considering perspective new candidates is if they have a military background.

Management in police agencies know that by selecting candidates with a military background, they are getting someone who has had "life experience." I am not saying that candidates who have not been in the military don't have life experience, but you will be surprised of how many candidates I have seen, which at age 25-40 are still leaving at home with mom and dad.

Big Jim
05-21-08, 09:19 PM
whats cool is getting pulled over by a Former Marine and when they find out you were in the Corps. Its like a reunion.

Yeah it is...I've been pulled over a few times and had a good long conversation just to make it look good on camera, when we were really talking about which units we were in and what we did and where we been. Those guys are cool...just plain old dudes like you and me...having a few police officers over for a Memorial Day cookout matter of fact! When they let loose...they let LOOSE!!! Kinda like an Amish girl on a weekend home alone!! They go buck-wild!!! LOL!!

prcuffs
05-21-08, 09:21 PM

Well said, Big Jim. I was a Background Investigator for 5 years, and was also responsible for re-writing the Background Investigations Manual for my department. If there is one thing that most definately gives someone a better looking at by a police department when considering perspective new candidates is if they have a military background.

Management in police agencies know that by selecting candidates with a military background, they are getting someone who has had "life experience." I am not saying that candidates who have not been in the military don't have life experience, but you will be surprised of how many candidates I have seen, which at age 25-40 are still leaving at home with mom and dad.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Big Jim
05-21-08, 09:24 PM

Management in police agencies know that by selecting candidates with a military background, they are getting someone who has had "life experience." I am not saying that candidates who have not been in the military don't have life experience, but you will be surprised of how many candidates I have seen, which at age 25-40 are still leaving at home with mom and dad.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Yep...sitting on an interview board when hiring new officers...military experience is always preferred....sometimes even over a college grad if he's still living at home!! LOL!

Coachgun
05-23-08, 12:42 PM
haha yeah Big Jim the amish haha next time i go to the amish store im gonna have a laughin fit that was great

mda3397
05-26-08, 01:21 AM
Any Border Patrol Agents here???

:evilgrin: