PDA

View Full Version : Reporting to SOI - Tips?

Requiem
05-12-08, 11:14 AM
Hello everyone. I just graduated from Recruit Training in SD. It still hasn't hit me that I now have the title of U.S. Marine yet. Anyways, I'm sorry if this has already been posted somewhere (I did do a few searches but to no avail), but I'd like some tips on reporting to SOI in Camp Pendleton from a Marine who had to report there recently. I've heard that stuffing your seabag with a pair of woodlands AND deserts with rolled sleeves and jungle boots on top is a good idea... what else should I do to make the receiving process as smooth as possible? Any and all tips are appreciated.

Thankyou,
-Pvt Pirl

MarineNCO
05-12-08, 11:48 AM
Bring all the gear you left bootcamp with. That pretty much sums it up.

nptwildcat
05-12-08, 12:53 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood!

Requiem
05-12-08, 01:58 PM
Bring all the gear you left bootcamp with. That pretty much sums it up.

Thanks, Sergeant, but I was hoping for more specifics if it were possible?

Crusader20
05-12-08, 02:16 PM
Can't help you.

Did the seabag drag from MCT to SOI in '92.

Good luck and have some fun.

Requiem
05-12-08, 02:22 PM
Alright, thankyou. Sounds like its better to be overpacked than underpacked, am I right?

Also, should I bring every single uniform item I've been given including my blues (and the all-weather coat and woolly pully) that havent been pressed and I probably won't use?

Crusader20
05-12-08, 04:54 PM
Alright, thankyou. Sounds like its better to be overpacked than underpacked, am I right?

Also, should I bring every single uniform item I've been given including my blues (and the all-weather coat and woolly pully) that havent been pressed and I probably won't use?

Yes. Bring it all. You may have a JOB inspection and they will want to see that. The School will conduct one to ensure that you have everthing that a Marine will need for the fleet, before you get your orders.

Haffner
05-12-08, 07:17 PM
Didn't they give you paperwork when you recieved your orders, near the end of bootcamp, that explained, outlined, and detailed every step of the way from your transition from leave to SOI? We had gotten paperwork that told us what to bring (everything you were issued) when to be where, etc etc.

Make sure youre Alphas are squared away. Go there with them lookin' like crap will skyline you fast.

pablox1139
05-12-08, 08:19 PM
Congrats Marine!

AAV Crewchief
05-12-08, 10:04 PM
KY Jelly ...for the BIG GREEN WEENIE...LOL

MarineNCO
05-13-08, 05:22 AM
Thanks, Sergeant, but I was hoping for more specifics if it were possible?

Bring everything you left bootcamp with. How much more specific does one need to be? One reason for this is , as was posted above, so the instructors can make sure you have all your uniforms. Another reason is if you happen to get injured at SOI, decide to go UA, or fail your urinalysis then you will need to have all of your uniforms for turn in. If you do not turn all your crap in you will have to pay for it.

Congratulations on becoming a Marine. Semper Fidelis.