PDA

View Full Version : Quotes About Marines

Roberto T. Cast
04-29-03, 10:28 PM
"We signed up knowing the risk. Those innocent people in New York didn't go to work thinking there was any kind of risk."............
Pvt. Mike Armendariz=Clark, USMC; Afghanistan, 20 September 2001. As reported on page 1 of the New York Times :marine:

The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!....MGen. Frank E. Lowe, U.S. Army; Korea, 26 January 1952

Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights..........Navy Times: November 1994

Why in the hell can't the Army do it if the Marine can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like the Marines..........Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army; 12 February 1918

The United States Marine Corps, with its fiercely proud tradition of excellence in combat, its hallowed rituals and its unbending code of honor, is part of the fabric of American myth.............Thomas E. Ricks, Making the Corps; 1997

For all of those that have son's or daughter's at bootcamp, let me pass on what I found. Let me give you a little back ground first. When my son left home, he had no motivation, he was lazy, sloppy, no pride, no self worth. This is the boy that got off the bus March 18th at Parris Island. The man that I met on Thursday for parents day is AWESOME. There is no way I can describe to you all the difference. He look different, he walks different, he talks different, he has such a sense of bearing and pride, all I could do was look at him in AWE. Oh yes, the training is hard, what he went through is unimaginable to any one that has not been there. They are definitely taught to be Warriors. Let me tell you the surprise of what else they are taught. My Marine son has better values, better morals, better manners than any one I know. It is so much more than Yes Sir, Yes Mam...so much more. He cares about how he looks, he cares about what he does, and its not a boastful, bad ass thing. He is a true gentleman. I saw patience, and a calmness in him that I have never seen. I could never express my gratitude enough to the Marine Corps for what they have given my son. I know this, I have an 11 year Devil pup still at home. When the times comes for his turn, if I had to I would take him kicking and screaming all the way. Although I'm sure that will not happen. The hero worship I see in my younger sons eyes for his Marine brother tell me I will have two Marines in the family, and I will be one very proud mother.............."Sybil," Mother of a Marine writing to the my Marine......http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mymarine/message/53 Group

The raising of the flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.............James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy; 23 February 1945, (the flag-raising on Iwo Jima had been immortalized in a photograph by Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal)

I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!.........General of the Armies-Douglas MacArthur, Korea, 21 September 1950

We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?..........Gen. John W. Vessey Jr. U.S. Army, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the assault on Grenada, 1983

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!........Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States; 1985

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.........Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweillers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.............RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, U.S. Navy; 10 November 1995

They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means, "Excuse me, I did't mean it, my mistake.".......Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991

For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines, and we win battles.......Gen. Charles C. Krulak, USMC (CMC); 5 May 1997

Come on, you son of *****es! Do you want to live forever?......GySgt. Daniel J. "Dan" Daly, USMC..(Near Lucy-le-Bocag as he let the 5th Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918)

Gone to Florida to fight the Indians. Will be back when the war is over.........Colonel Commandant Archibald Henderson, USMC-(in a note pinned to his office door, 1836)

Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you!.......Col. Lewis B. "Chesty: Puller- USMC (rallying his First Marine Regiment near Chosin Reservoir, Korea, December 1950)

Marines die, that's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever..........(The mythical GySgt. Hartman, USMC; portrayed by GySgt. R. Lee Ermey, a Marine Corps Drill Instructor using his own choice of words in "Full Metal Jacket", 1987

You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!........Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943

We are United States Marines, and for two and a quarter centuries we have defined the standards of courage, esprit, and military prowess.......Gen. James L. Jones, USMC (CMC); 10 November 2000

I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold.........1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918

I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the traditions for generations of warrior past...........Cpl. Jeff Sornij, USMC; in Navy Times, November 1994

:marine: :marine:

I like them all. How about you?

mrbsox
04-30-03, 07:44 AM
Do you ever wonder, if 'NON-MARINES' really understand how these things are etched into our souls?

Every time I read one, my mind goes back to Parris Island. :marine:

jryanjack
04-30-03, 09:04 AM
I don't think that they have a clue. They can't, they have no frame of reference.

Roberto T. Cast
04-30-03, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by mrbsox
Do you ever wonder, if 'NON-MARINES' really understand how these things are etched into our souls?

Every time I read one, my mind goes back to Parris Island. :marine:

I agree with your question, except my mind goes back to MCRD, San Diego. I am going try and attempt to answer your question. This is according to this old Corps Marine Vietnam Veteran.

When a recruit tries fill the yellow footsteps upon their arrival at a Marine Corps Boot Camp Depot, ALL recruits are WANNA-BE'S.

Before a recruit earns the right to call themselves a MARINE, a recruit must survive boot camp, a 13 weeks stretch (8 weeks old Corps Vietnam Veterans) of continual drills, strict inspections and brutal physical exercise. And, as if all that weren't enough, there's something else recruits must survive, the in you face commands of the fiercely tenacious Drill Instructors. Recruits must survive the tough, tenacious Drill Instructors who instill the fearless fighting spirit into each and every Marine. Recruits must survive the Drill Instructors's crisp decorated uniform and the trademark of all Drill Instructors, a stern expression. Recruits must survive the Drill Instructors lectures of the unbending Marines' Code of Honor. Marine Drill Instructors instill this code to each and every Marine. And at the end, the recruits must survive "The Crucible". An endurant test summation of all their training.

When the recruits graduates from Marine Corps Basic Training, then and only then, the recruits ceases to be Wannabe's. They have earned the MARINE title and the right to be called, United States MARINE.

According to me, that is what is lacking in the other Armed Services. Maybe that is why the other Armed Services so Honor, the Few, the Proud with tough and tenacious tributes to our United States Marine Corps. Generals and the likes of the other Armed Services, past and maybe future, must have seen or will really see, the difference in our training and of our proud traditions and the excellence of our United States Marine Corps combat history. First to fight and keep our Honor clean, the Marine Warriors of yesteryear, kept, the Marine Warriors of Today are keeping and the Marine Warriors of the Future will keep our United States Marine Corps traditions on going forevermore. Remember the words of James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy, 23 February 1945, "The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years." And also remember Corporal Jeff Sornij, USMC, in Navy Times, November 1994; when he stated: " I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: Pride, Honor, Intergrity, and being able to carry on the traditions for generations of WARRIORS past." Talk about a True and Gungho MARINE to the CORE!!

I have always said the following to relatives, friends and foes who go through the other Armed Services basic training.

You are a Wannabe warrior. Enlist in the United States Marine Corps, and go through the Marines Corps basic recruit training and when you Graduate, then and only then, you will become a True Warrior. Right now, you are still a Wannabe. They say I am Crazy. But that's, another story.

:rambo: :marine:

Osotogary
04-30-03, 11:30 AM
mrbsox,
As a "non-marine" I honestly don't personally know what being a Marine is all about.
I conclude that there is a destiny to it all and that all of you are Marines because it was and is your destiny. My destiny chose another path.
I may not know but I do understand.
This website spawns understanding.
Adios from South Florida.
Gary (on a borrowed computer)

mrbsox
04-30-03, 12:54 PM
Osotogary,

Thanks to you, Sir, and parents like you, we have a 'New Breed' upholding the traditions, and carrying the torch well.

I feel quite sure that YOUR pride in your son gives you (and Mrs --gary) a unique insight, to our souls.

When you hear from your Marine, be sure and let him know he is thought of, and supported. And, your a morale booster yourself, with the cartoons.... keep 'em coming. :D

Terry

ladileathrnek
05-01-03, 08:43 AM
I THINK THIS IS MY FAVORITE QUOTE....OOHRAH GENERAL!!!!!

OK, I hate to give the Marines any more credit than they already steal for themselves, but you have to love the comments from the CG, 1 MARDIV. His latest classic is below. Whether Soldier or Marine, he knows how to talk to the troops.

LTC William M. Solms
Joint, Interagency and Multinational Training AO
Army DCS-G3, Collective Training Division
The Pentagon, 3A480
DSN 222-4419

"When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a p-ssy."

-Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Super Dave
05-01-03, 10:51 AM
God what a great quote..gotta love it.