PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Promotions from Boot Camp

Future93
05-11-08, 02:50 PM
I know there are many ways to get advanced promotions from boot camp and I was wondering from Marines that got that promotion is it really that big of a difference to be a PFC from Boot Camp instead of a PVT? Besides that it is a higher rank do you get anything else from it? I am asking because I am at military school now and it has JROTC, this is my first year and you need 2 years for the promotion, I might not be going back to this school because of family things and I was wondering if I should go back one more year to get the 2 years or if it is not really worth it.I am not really all that concerned if I can get it or not, I just want to be a Marine, that is most important to me.
Thanks,
James Hinman

Donut Brigade
05-11-08, 02:52 PM
You earn more moneeez, and you advance higher and become an NCO earlier, which is good.

Future93
05-11-08, 02:53 PM
So you think it is probably woth getting the promotion if I can?

Wyoming
05-11-08, 03:00 PM
Dave Blay, our resident expert on promotions, along with others, will be more than willing to assist you in your SEARCH.

All you gotta do is wait around for them to answer.

Oh, yeah, being 15, concentrate of life for a while.

englishm2265
05-11-08, 03:03 PM
So you think it is probably woth getting the promotion if I can?

There really isn't too big of a difference between Pvt. and PFC to be honest. A bit more money, but it still translates to nothing huge. And being that JROTC could get you advanced rank, you should go for LCpl. Good luck with that :)

JoeInVille
05-11-08, 03:24 PM
In my case (of course im not worrying about it now) its not a huge deal to me because I plan on doing PLC during college after my 4 years. It is quite a bit more money, I believe Pvt to PLC is a 700 dollar difference or something per month.

Darrell B
05-11-08, 03:48 PM
I know there are many ways to get advanced promotions from boot camp and I was wondering from Marines that got that promotion is it really that big of a difference to be a PFC from Boot Camp instead of a PVT? Besides that it is a higher rank do you get anything else from it? I am asking because I am at military school now and it has JROTC, this is my first year and you need 2 years for the promotion, I might not be going back to this school because of family things and I was wondering if I should go back one more year to get the 2 years or if it is not really worth it.I am not really all that concerned if I can get it or not, I just want to be a Marine, that is most important to me.
Thanks,
James Hinman
I took the 2 years of JROTC at my highschool and yes it does get you that PFC promotion which gives you a little extra money and thats about it. Like stated before if you really want to go for an meritorious promotion you should work your ass off in boot camp when you get to that point, till then focus on school, family, friends, PT if you want, and your girlfriend if you have one. You still have 3 years to go till you can enlist, enjoy it while you can.

davblay
05-11-08, 04:19 PM
Thanks bigal for your vote of confidence! <br />
<br />
James, as you can see the poolees can't read so they give you thier expert advice. <br />
<br />
To answer your question, beings I am a Marine with a little bit of...

SEANstaah
05-11-08, 04:20 PM
If I could have taken ROTC, I would have. Of course it's worth it, it will not only give you a little edge over everyone else in boot, it beats shuffling around trying to find refferals.

Wyoming
05-11-08, 04:31 PM
Thanks bigal for your vote of confidence!

All tongue in cheek Dave, all tongue in cheek.

Methinks my SEARCH function comment went over some young'uns heads.

Quinbo
05-11-08, 04:36 PM
Your time in grade starts the day you go to boot camp so if you have PFC in the bag you'll be seeing Lcpl a lot sooner than someone who graduates pvt. I graduated private and was saying yes Cpl no Cpl to Marines I had gone to boot camp with.

Anecdote: I was promoted to PFC way late, something like 3 months behind schedule. I was put up for meretorious Lance and while I stood in line for the board the gunny's wife had brought in her sewing machine and was sewing my PFC chevrons on my charlies. I won the board and pinned it on the next day. I wore PFC for exactly 1 day. I got a nice 3 months back pay check and had a Lcpl underground party at the beer garden.

Ub3rmike
05-11-08, 04:36 PM
If I could have taken ROTC, I would have. Of course it's worth it, it will not only give you a little edge over everyone else in boot, it beats shuffling around trying to find refferals.

On the contrary, I just got my third referral, with 4 juniors who can't wait until the end of the academic year to be able to go through the DEP.

Referrals should be regarded as a God send. It's the easiest way to get promoted (1 month or maybe even 1 week of just getting people to come into the RSS). In addition, whether or not you already have contract PFC, you should be actively assisting your recruiters in bringing in new bodies. Bring them to PT even if you know they don't want to join, that's just one more person who'll realize the intensity that just future Marines act with. I don't want to be the guy who'll regret not prodding his nasty civilian friends who live in mom's basement to become something truly great.

It's a win-win situation, and ultimately, you're going to be gone, and if there's a best way to pay your recruiters back for giving you the oppertunity to be a Marine, it's to give them a replacement. No better way to reflect what kind of character you possesses than to say, "I'm such hot stuff that I need 2-5 people to replace me."

SGT7477
05-11-08, 07:30 PM
You earn more moneeez, and you advance higher and become an NCO earlier, which is good.
Not really that you become an NCO faster there is some that don't even make CPL in 4 years some are just followers.:evilgrin:

Marine84
05-11-08, 08:03 PM
Methinks my SEARCH function comment went over some young'uns heads.

Fast as a F18 but, not as loud!

jetdoc
05-11-08, 09:07 PM
Bulk, back in the day my PFC pay started the year I was, as they say now, a poolee. It used to count for pay purposes...but they stopped that a while back, lol.

As for the rank question, the quicker you pick up one rank the quicker you will get to the next one, (normally). And as others said, more money, and more responsibilities.

Quinbo
05-12-08, 12:58 AM
It was the the same in 85 Jet. Dep time counted as time in service for pay.

semperfi170
05-12-08, 06:39 AM
It can be easy come and then easy go in Boot Camp. While I was a DI, I saw some contract PFCs busted to PVT for various infractions. This was back in the seventies. So, basically just like after boot it is best to keep your nose clean and do what you are supposed to do as a Marine.

Domforce24
05-12-08, 09:06 AM
If your a contract PFC before boot camp and end up becoming the guide or top marksman in boot camp, can you get to LCPL when you leave bootcamp?

rvillac2
05-12-08, 12:35 PM
If your a contract PFC before boot camp and end up becoming the guide or top marksman in boot camp, can you get to LCPL when you leave bootcamp?

That is the only way to get Lance Corporal in Boot.

Donut Brigade
05-12-08, 01:01 PM
The DEP guide states that 4 referrals or 14 college credits and 2 referrals, or something of the sort, will get you e-3 in boot.

quillhill
05-12-08, 02:11 PM
If you want to know how to get LCPL out of boot just do a search for Covey_Rider around here. Read all about it, kids. :)

ImpatientPoolee
02-14-11, 02:11 AM
I'm not a Marine, I'm a poolee. However, there is ONE more way to get that promotion. If you have college credits (15 is the minimum) with a 2.2 GPA or higher you can get promoted.