PDA

View Full Version : Iraqis thrash U.S. Marines in soccer match

thedrifter
04-29-03, 06:39 PM
Iraqis thrash U.S. Marines in soccer match
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

NAJAF, Iraq (Reuters) -- U.S. Marines may consider themselves an elite fighting force, but they were no match for an Iraqi soccer side who thrashed them 7-0 in the southern town of Najaf.

The Najaf Poets devastated a side drawn from 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, their yellow jerseys flashing past Americans who took to the field in combat boots and camouflaged trousers.

Marines said about 600 locals thronged an athletics ground in the town to watch the match, organized by U.S. officers hoping to establish friendly relations with residents.

The Marines, who took control of the town from the U.S. Army last week, said their underdog status even won them some sympathy from the home crowd.

"They were cheering for the Iraqi side, but they were also rooting for us, because we were getting beaten pretty bad," Major Mark DeVito told Reuters after the match.

Sempers,

Roger

Fox 2/23
04-30-03, 09:17 AM
That doesn't surprise me at all. how about a game of American "football" now?

Super Dave
04-30-03, 10:26 AM
Thats ok...just poing to the scoreboard USA 2 Saddam 0

Sparrowhawk
04-30-03, 10:53 AM
When I was in, (MP) at my last duty station, I played six men footabll against the Navy and Air Force units stationed around Concord Naval Weapons station, in California.

Boy, do I remember those sore days, all banged up nd bleeding.
Unlike the Navy that had more resources to pull from we didn't.

We also had to pull our regular duties.

We never won, but we had fun. I remeber the hurts most of all, but the hurts we gave also meant we were winning.. LOL