PDA

View Full Version : 'Baghdad Bob' returns to TV?

thedrifter
04-29-03, 05:53 PM
'Baghdad Bob' returns to TV?

We don't see him and he is still making news..............

Arab news channel offers job to comedic Iraqi info spinner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 29, 2003
5:28 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

The Iraqi information minister who became a global celebrity with his flare for outlandish lies and hyperbole has a new job in the media waiting for him.

An Arab TV channel – Al-Arabiya – is offering a position to Muhammed Saeed al-Sahhaf, who became known as "Baghdad Bob" and "Comical Ali" for his entertaining way of stretching the truth.

"We see no problem in having Mr. Sahhaf join us," Ali Al-Hedeithy, the head of Al-Arabiya told Agence France-Presse. "First of all, Sahhaf is not on the list of the 55 Iraqis most wanted by the Americans, and he won international fame. We would be happy to have him on our team."

Sahhaf's image is already being used to push budget Irish airline Ryanair and an Australian ski park, and a U.S. dollmaker has added "Baghdad Bob" to its collection of newsmaker figurines.

Sahhaf became an international star in the final days of fighting, making hard-to-believe claims about Iraqi successes and U.S. failures, including:

"Let the American infidels bask in their illusion";

"My feelings – as usual – we will slaughter them all";

"We have placed them in a quagmire from which they can never emerge except dead";

"God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of Iraqis";

"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad."
Based in Dubai with operations in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Lebanon, Al-Arabiya notes it has already plucked from the ranks of Saddam's officials former U.N. ambassador Mohammad Aldouri for a recent series of interviews.

Sahhaf has not been seen since U.S. forces took control of Baghdad April 9, putting an end to Saddam Hussein's 24-year-rule, and as WorldNetDaily previously reported, there were claims he had committed suicide.

Now there are new reports that Sahhaf is alive, and even tried surrendering to American forces – only to be rejected.

The London-based Arab newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat cites a Kurdish official who claims Sahhaf had been at his aunt's house in Baghdad for the past four days, and wanted U.S. troops to arrest him so "they can protect him."

Adel Murad of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan says they refused since Sahhaf was not on the "most wanted" deck of playing cards.

The paper says Sahhaf was in Mosul before Baghdad, and some PUK partisans were asked by Sahhaf to intervene with the U.S. on his behalf.

"We told him that we didn't want to be party to this matter," said Murad, who also claims negotiations are still going on to hand him over.

Last Thursday, the Portuguese daily Diario de Noticias said a family claiming to be sheltering Sahhaf, reportedly in the women's section of a home in a poor part of Baghdad, had been in contact with two Portuguese journalists seeking their help in approaching U.S. forces.

http://209.17.95.115/images2/BaghdadBobAd.jpg

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
04-29-03, 06:22 PM
Clinton is trying to hire him to be his PR spokesman.

greybeard
04-29-03, 09:20 PM
Bad as he is, he may not be dishonest enough to get mixed up with that bunch.

greensideout
04-29-03, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by greybeard
Bad as he is, [/QUOTE}

He makes us wonder. Just about everything he said seemed to be "tongue-in-cheek." I guess that is why we learned to somehow like this guy. (I wonder what our troops there think).

Is he a good guy or bad, don't know.

I think that they all had a gun to their head to preform as required. At least he made us laugh.

We'll see---if he's still alive.