PDA

View Full Version : Devil Dog

mcvet57103
05-09-08, 07:33 PM
My wife works as a home school salesman. She today talked to a wife of a Marine at Camp Pendleton. She was told that Devil Dog is no longer an acepted moniker in her husbands unit. How wrong is that??? I am really tired of the PC crowd how about you?

SlingerDun
05-09-08, 07:37 PM
...Chili?

SGT7477
05-09-08, 07:59 PM
Call me Devil Dog anytime anyplace and I will Thank You, Semper FI.

mcvet57103
05-09-08, 08:04 PM
I will hold the moniker "Devil Dog" with pride, till the day I die. I was shocked when my wife told me this. I had to let you all know what is happening.

E5NAMKROW
05-09-08, 08:11 PM
It will never Die. There are way too many of us that will keep it alive. The Corps earned the title and it will continue as long as i am concerned. Sounds like there is more to the story then just they stopped using it. It seems to me it may not be used in certain ways. What was the unit? Maybe one of us can look into this "rumor".

sparkie
05-09-08, 08:19 PM
Is a Salesman,? I'll stick with Devaldog, Jarhead, or whatever they call, 'Cause I'll always be a Marine. ,,,,,,,, Happy VE Day. :beer:

mcvet57103
05-09-08, 08:19 PM
It will never Die. There are way too many of us that will keep it alive. The Corps earned the title and it will continue as long as i am concerned. Sounds like there is more to the story then just they stopped using it. It seems to me it may not be used in certain ways. What was the unit? Maybe one of us can look into this "rumor".Believe me I was p*ssed when she told me this. I will always be proud. I just wanted it to be known that we have someone who calls themselves a Marine, embarrassed by the term "Devil Dog". I only wish my wife had gotten the name of the unit.

E5NAMKROW
05-09-08, 08:33 PM
I wish she had too. Oh well. Enough Said. Nothing we can do about a "unit" we dont know the name of or size of not using the terminology handed down. I am sure alot of that goes on. Crazy new world. Semper Fi Devil Dog

mcvet57103
05-09-08, 08:36 PM
I wish she had too. Oh well. Enough Said. Nothing we can do about a "unit" we dont know the name of or size of not using the terminology handed down. I am sure alot of that goes on. Crazy new world. Semper Fi Devil DogOoohRaaaaah!!!

usmchauer
05-09-08, 09:19 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62664&highlight=devil

mcvet57103
05-09-08, 09:28 PM
[quote=usmchauer]http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62664&highlight=devil[/quote
Devil dog means the ultimate Marine. plain a simple. There is no better. I only hope I can live to those standards.

Big Jim
05-09-08, 09:31 PM
[quote=usmchauer]http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62664&highlight=devil[/quote
Devil dog means the ultimate Marine. plain a simple. There is no better. I only hope I can live to those standards.

YOU'RE DAM RIGHT, BROTHER DEVIL DOG!! OOH-RAHHH!!!!

Haffner
05-09-08, 09:59 PM
Alot of Marines of this newer generation hate the moniker because all through MCT, MOS school, and first few months of the fleet (or until you're not considered a boot), it's only used when addressing you when you did something negative or someone is ****ed at you.

From talking to older generations, I've been told that words were a bit more..creative, than just using one damn phrase ie. "devil dog."

As a result of, "Hey / Hey there, DEVIL DOG!" almost exclusively being used in a very negative way during those phases of training, it's for most natural to be offended when called it -- at least UNTIL they realise that they're not being addressed for something negative.

Wyoming
05-09-08, 10:13 PM
Alot of Marines of this newer generation hate the moniker because all through MCT, MOS school, and first few months of the fleet (or until you're not considered a boot), it's only used when addressing you when you did something negative or someone is ****ed at you.

From talking to older generations, I've been told that words were a bit more..creative, than just using one damn phrase ie. "devil dog."

As a result of, "Hey / Hey there, DEVIL DOG!" almost exclusively being used in a very negative way during those phases of training, it's for most natural to be offended when called it -- at least UNTIL they realise that they're not being addressed for something negative.

This is the best explanation I have seen, on here, and 2 other Marine Forums.

Thanks.

Haffner
05-09-08, 10:54 PM
Thank you. I like to keep it short and to the point. The only way I was able to phrase that in a short manner like that is because, I admit, I feel the same way about it.

It's something I just can't stand -- until it's clear in the conversation that the conversation is NOT going in a negative way. Then it's completely good to go.

It's just such an automatic response for so many, and for many nowadays that say it isn't: they're full of crap.

Up until I had been in the fleet for about 4 months, I truly cannot recall a single negative ass chewing / counseling / whatever that DIDN'T start with, "Hey DEVILDOG!" lol.

Haffner
05-09-08, 10:59 PM
I DO have to add to this real quick.

I don't know a single Marine who isn't proud of earning the nickname of Devil Dog; not a single one. Yeah, I often don't like being called it for reasons that I have already explained, however, the pride from past Marines earning that title and newer generation Marines being allowed to carry on that nickname still swells in each and every one of us, I assure you.

mcvet57103
05-10-08, 07:38 AM
Thank you. I like to keep it short and to the point. The only way I was able to phrase that in a short manner like that is because, I admit, I feel the same way about it.

It's something I just can't stand -- until it's clear in the conversation that the conversation is NOT going in a negative way. Then it's completely good to go.

It's just such an automatic response for so many, and for many nowadays that say it isn't: they're full of crap.

Up until I had been in the fleet for about 4 months, I truly cannot recall a single negative ass chewing / counseling / whatever that DIDN'T start with, "Hey DEVILDOG!" lol.Sad state of affairs when a name that means Strength, Dedication, and Tanacity becomes an insult. Has the Marines Corps become a liberal P.C. sh*thole? Maybe they should divide the Corps into two groups. Give the Devildogs their traditional uniform and issue raspberry berets, and pink uniforms to the rest so us old salts can still be proud. If it's such an automatic response maybe the person should enlighten the one useing it in a negative manner as to the origin of the name. It's time the Marine Corps does some internal squaring away. I will always view Devil Dog as a compliment.

Old Marine
05-10-08, 08:35 AM
Never have had a problem with being called a "Devil Dog."

On the other hand I don't like it when someone asks if I was in the "Suck." Must be new generation lingo.:evilgrin:

jrhd97
05-10-08, 09:39 AM

On the other hand I don't like it when someone asks if I was in the "Suck." Must be new generation lingo.:evilgrin:
Nah, heard that from a 63 year old who was in in the mid '60's. Don't know where that came from :thumbdown

silverdollar
05-10-08, 09:45 AM

I never heard that either, we used corp or crotch.:marine:

mcvet57103
05-10-08, 10:07 AM
I never heard that either, we used corp or crotch.:marine:Heard "the suck" quite a bit when I was on Okinawa in 75-76.

ExPISCDI83
05-10-08, 12:59 PM
I honestly do not "get" how being called DevilDog can be a bad thing, and how can any Marine in their right mind would want to try to not use it? It just sounds too hard to believe to me. Instead, I think this might be a clandetine attempt by those "unmarines" that hate what the Corps stands, for what is taught in bootcamp and what Marines Past, Present and Future do or have done for our country by gettng everyone all riled up amoung themselves.

mcvet57103
05-10-08, 01:07 PM
I honestly do not "get" how being called DevilDog can be a bad thing, and how can any Marine in their right mind would want to try to not use it? It just sounds too hard to believe to me. Instead, I think this might be a clandetine attempt by those "unmarines" that hate what the Corps stands, for what is taught in bootcamp and what Marines Past, Present and Future do or have done for our country by gettng everyone all riled up amoung themselves.I started this thread because my wife who sells home schooling courses was talking to a Marine's wife, who called her, at Camp Pendleton and was told DevilDog was considered an insult by Marines in her husbands unit. Whenever my wife talks to anyone associated with the Marines she always mentions my past service. It's a good ice breaker. She was shocked when the caller told her that.

jrhd97
05-10-08, 02:53 PM
This thread pretty well sums up the change in usage of Devil Dog, http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62664&highlight=devil.
It looks like we can blame the pc police on this change. When you can no longer dress a another Marine down the way it used to be done, a new way will be found. Instead of cussen them out they addres them as Devil Dog as to not offend some one's sensitive ears, thus bringing an @ss chewing on thereself.