View Full Version : Milford Marine enjoys a break after serving in Iraq

thedrifter
05-09-08, 07:57 AM
Milford Marine enjoys a break after serving in Iraq

By Danielle Ameden/Daily News staff
GHS
Posted May 08, 2008 @ 09:29 PM
MILFORD —

Lance Cpl. Michael Wiseman, 20, leaned against his Mustang yesterday, sporting a crew cut, dog tags around his neck and a certificate of commendation from the U.S. Marine Corps in his hands.

Protected by a red padded cover, the document praises his "outstanding achievement in the performance of his duties" as combat engineer with Marine Wing Support Squadron 272 during a seven-month tour in Iraq.

"We definitely worked our butts off," Wiseman said.

He described building scores of wood frame SouthWest Asian-style huts, repairing a landing strip, working on a helicopter hangar and surgical hospital while based in Al Taqaddum, west of Baghdad in al-Anbar province.

In the military, whether in the freezing cold, sandstorms or sweltering heat, he's always called "Wiseman, or my nickname out there, Wise-ass," he says.

But here, in his mom's Pearl Street driveway, he's "Mike."

"It's nice to be called that," he said.

The 2006 graduate of Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School enlisted at age 18, wanting to defend his country en route to earning a college degree paid for by the military.

The 9/11 attacks fired him up to be on the front lines and he ended up leaving for boot camp on an especially poignant day: Sept. 11, 2006.

Wiseman - who likes burgers, videogames and partying with friends - shipped off to Iraq in October.

The "chow was actually really good," the work was hard and hours long.

He worked the night shift, sleeping in old Iraqi army barracks, which had bullet holes in the walls.

"You miss family - that's really the biggest thing," Wiseman said.

And his family missed him.

They talked across oceans via instant messages and occasional phone conversations.

"Christmas was really tough," his mom Trish Wiseman said. "I've never been so 'bah humbug' in my life."

His sister Jessica, 14, said it was scary having her big brother in a war-torn country.

"I'm really proud of him," she said. "I just think he's stupid for being over there, but I'm happy he's doing what he likes to do."

American flags, G.I. Joes and military trinkets line every wall and surface of Wiseman's bedroom.

A camouflage pillow stitched with the message "My hero wears combat boots" rests on a loveseat in the landing.

On the porch, a personalized banner donated by Sign-o-rama waves, featuring a bulldog, the mascot of the Marines, and a patriotic message.

"Welcome Home!" it reads. "Thanks for your service."

Wiseman came safely back to base in Cherry Point, N.C., last month, attended mandatory seminars about post-deployment behavior and was granted a 20-day personal leave. He hit the road in his Mustang and made it home in 14 hours.

After a few weeks of catching up with pals, picnicking with family and readjusting to Milford, he leaves tomorrow to return to Cherry Point.

After the Marines, he wants to focus on college, taking advantage of the federal GI Bill's educational benefits. His dream is to get into software engineering and design video games inspired by his favorite - the tactical warfare-themed "SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs."

Wiseman has 2 1/2 more years in the service and expects to go back overseas soon.

His dog tags show his name, blood type, Social Security number and list him as being Catholic.

Also on a chain around his neck is a pre-deployment gift from his grandma, a "My Guardian Angel" medallion of St. Michael.

On the first tour, his wing unit had a couple false alarms but saw no enemy fire in a place where the streets are locked down and watchtowers are everywhere, Wiseman said.

"I believe we're definitely doing a good job over there," he said. "I was hoping to see some combat, but it's a good thing that we didn't."

Danielle Ameden can be reached at 508-634-7521 or dameden@cnc.com. This and other stories about Milford can be found at www.milforddailynews.com.

Ellie