PDA

View Full Version : Marines promoted in front of the world

thedrifter
05-09-08, 06:44 AM
Marines promoted in front of the world

5/7/2008 By Master Sgt. Lawrence Torres III , Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point

BAUMHOLDER, Germany —U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Maj. Luigi Chiechi, Sgt. Aaron R. Hines and Sgt. William E. Tellefsen were promoted to their current rank May 1 in front of military members representing more than 35 nations following the opening ceremony of communications exercise Combined Endeavor 2008.

It was the first time a traditional U.S. Marine Corps promotion was conducted for this exercise, which is in its 14th year.

More than 35 nations participate in CE 08 to plan, prepare and practice a full range of communications, equipment, policies and procedures prior to deploying for NATO missions and emerging real world crisis situations such as the evacuation of Lebanon and response to national disasters.

"I was very proud and honored to be promoted to such a prestigious rank in front of so many countries," said Tellefsen, a Monticello, Fla., native and satellite communications operator with Satellite Platoon, Support Company, 8th Communications Battalion, based in Camp Lejeune, N.C.

This historical moment plus the sight of more than 1,000 people in formation with their respective countries flag was overwhelming for Chiechi, who joined the Corps in 1982.

"It was awesome to share our traditions and ceremonies in front of more than 35 nations and more than a thousand men and women of the Combined Endeavor exercise," said Chiechi, currently assigned to 6th Communications Battalion, based in Brooklyn, N.Y.

The rank of sergeant major is the highest enlisted rank in the Marine Corps which prompted Chiechi to regret not, "Having my wife and children present to see me get promoted for the last time in my career."

Hines, a satellite communicator with 8th Comm, said he was incredibly honored.

"This promotion was the most exciting experience of my Marine Corps career," said Hines, a native of Davisburg, Mich. "I will remember this for the rest of my life."

Ellie