PDA

View Full Version : Help

gofigyer
05-07-08, 07:12 PM
My son (20) has been talking about the Marines for about 3 years and has progressed to the point where he's just taken his preliminary test. Now he calls me tonight (6pm) and says that they moved up his vocational test andhe tested and scored in the 60's; recruiter says alpha something.

Here's the thing and time is CRITICAL for me. He is on his way to work and says that after he's done, he's going back to the recruiter's office and they're taking him to go do his physical at which time, if he passes, he will be sworn in.

I've been doing some research here and on the marine website for parents and everything I've read says, NOT to hurry. He says that he will be doing his physical and being sworn in and that he will get his contract with his top 3 MOS choices AFTER. Somebody help me here please. Everything I've read says to get the contract FIRST and read it carefully cause anything out of the recruiters mouth is bunk unless it's in writing. Can't seem to get through to my son that there's absolutely NO reason to move this fast except to take advantage of him. He's so high with the test results and pep talks that he doesn't care, he just wants to "be a Marine".

Understand, I have no objection and obviously am proud of him and his choices. I thought he was doing things the 'smart' way. But what's the hurry here. He's convinced if I talk to his recruiter, he can explain that everyting is above board and that they wouldn't take advantage of him.

I know better. Please somebody give me the right things to say to slow this kid down and do this the smart way!!!

Scared in Denver

semperfi170
05-07-08, 08:28 PM
Your young man is an adult and will have to live with his choices. You can't protect him forever and he may come to resent you if you put your nose into what he probably considers his business to decide. Offer him advice if he asks, but don't necessarily expect him to follow it.

Marine84
05-07-08, 08:56 PM
No disrespect intended but, he is 20.

gofigyer
05-07-08, 08:58 PM
I am so very proud of this young man and hope he follows his path, but I guess I don't understand this whole process. My son encouraged me to do some research, then dropped this bombshell about doing his physical tonight.

Actually, my son asked me to call his recruiter so he (the recruiter) could answer my question - whick is: why on earth does this need to be done tonight (he's picking he up at 9pm)? They schedule night Physicals? Something just doesn't sound right about this to me.

I'm not trying to discourage him, but with all the talk on these forums about "not signing any contract until you've really read it," I can't help but be concerned.

Otherwise, everything you say is correct and I appreciate your answer.

sgt tony
05-07-08, 09:07 PM
Well if he has been talking about joining then he has been on his time and is now ready to make the commitment. All you can do is support him and his choices.
The recruiter can tell him about all the MOS and then he will have to qualify for them.
He can get his physical and take the oath. The mos is a if open can get it and it also depends on when he decides he want to go to boot camp.
All that I can say and you have to respect his choice and his decisions. Just back him up and mean it.

gofigyer
05-07-08, 09:11 PM
Thank you. I truly do appreciate your advice

mikysmom
05-07-08, 09:13 PM
my son is in boot 1mnth togo he was 20 turned 21 in boot he did samething he was gone in 3wks after he chose to join i am very proud of him i cryed everyday for wks it happened so fast but i found this place and everybody made me feel better thanks guys and girls to you have to support him hes going no matter what and you will be proud of your son just like i am of mine and with your help and support he will be great

gofigyer
05-07-08, 09:23 PM
Thanks. I can already tell that I will probably end up a regular here. My heart is already two sizes prouder and he's not even sworn in yet and I know it sounds like 'apron strings' to most, but he knows I will support him regardless of how he gets it done.

My thanks to all.

semperfi170
05-07-08, 09:46 PM
You go Mom! My guess is that all Mothers of Marines have probably felt the way you do. I know, that when I went in during Nam, it was a quick decision on my part (I was almost 19), Mom worried but supported my decision along with my Dad.

Haffner
05-07-08, 10:01 PM
When I was going to take the oath, I went to a hotel near the state MEPS late at night also. Early in the morning (after the hotel normally serving a very fulfilling breakfast, actually), all of the people that are going to MEPS for various reasons and various branches are bussed there and the paperwork / physical happens then.

If your son is confident in his decision, not only will he make the best of it, but it will make the best of him.

Getting a MOS that is "up his alley" is very important, of course, however, if your son has the attitude of, "I just want to be a Marine," he's already trackin' on the right path: that's the perfect mindset. I'm sure that not only will the Corps do great things for him, but he'll do great things for the Corps.

marinemama
05-08-08, 02:44 AM
My son's are 20 and 21 and at boot camp right now. If all has gone well with The Crucible, they will be Marines by 10am (not sure of the exact time), and graduate May 16th. I am so very proud of both of them, and it went very quick once they stepped in to the Recruiters office. They take the ones that aren't in high school quite quickly. If he was to wait, the kids will all be graduating soon and he will have much larger Platoons to deal with. At least that is the biggest reason my son's went so fast. They still do not know what MOS they have, I know one son has some sort of Utilities/Engineering and my youngest is Communications...no idea on where or what they will be doing for sure...but they are Marines first and foremost. I didn't once doubt either of them, and support them fully. I have been up with them since 2am on Tuesday, and can't wait for tomorrow morning to get some sleep and celebrate my new Marines. Keep strong and support him all you can, it is an amazing decision and they said it has been an experience of a lifetime. I wish I could be on that hill with them in the morning to see each and every new Marine with an Eagle, Globe and Anchor pin. My best to you both.

quillhill
05-08-08, 11:33 AM
Sounds like the first taste of military life to me: be flexible and ready to do things on their schedule.

I have a friend (he's a new member here, yay!) who enlisted last week. He had to go through a waiver process for vision and once the waiver cleared his recruiter had him at MEPS the very next day. So, it's not unusual.

I can't speak to the contract but I believe I read in another thread last week in the Poolee forum that the contract they sign at MEPS is the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) contract for enlistment into the service and the final contract isn't signed until they're at MEPS the day before they leave for boot camp. So, it's my understanding that your son will have the opportunity to review his contract and consider it carefully before signing on the dotted line and making that commitment for the next four years.

Anyone with more direct knowledge, please feel to correct or clarify me.

As a family member of someone who served in another branch up until a year ago, I can tell you from that experience that while some aspects of the recruitment process move fast, others don't so you will have time to digest it.

Go talk to the recruiter. I am sure that he will be helpful as your son promised.

Good luck. :)

gofigyer
05-08-08, 12:18 PM
Appreciate all the information and advice. I feel so much better now and will suggest that I'm willing to go with him to talk to his recruiter, if he wants me too. I know that this is the right thing for him. He has been talking about this since he was a child when he announced at 8 that he wanted to be a 'sniper' altho' he quickly amended it when seeing our horrified expression that it wasn't to hurt people, but that it was to 'serve his country!. The contract thing just freaked me out after hearing horror stories about others. I'm not used to things happening so fast.

Will keep you all posted, since he hasn't called since last night when I told him that he was smart and that he should follow his instincts and that I'd be proud of him no matter what he chose to do.

Wishing all of you, and yours, the best. Gofigyer

Gator347
05-08-08, 12:32 PM
You will find that there is no closer family than the Military and there is no other branch like the Corps.:flag:

Mom, he'll make you proud like you could never imagine.

You raised him to be a man. He want's to do you one better and become a MARINE:usmc:

Chumley
05-08-08, 12:38 PM
He's very excited about making the biggest decision of his life thus far. It's certainly gonna be hard to slow him down, so see if you can help him navigate the road ahead...better hurry. ;)

Good luck!
C

quillhill
05-08-08, 01:43 PM
Appreciate all the information and advice. I feel so much better now and will suggest that I'm willing to go with him to talk to his recruiter, if he wants me too. I know that this is the right thing for him. He has been talking about this since he was a child when he announced at 8 that he wanted to be a 'sniper' altho' he quickly amended it when seeing our horrified expression that it wasn't to hurt people, but that it was to 'serve his country!. The contract thing just freaked me out after hearing horror stories about others. I'm not used to things happening so fast.

Will keep you all posted, since he hasn't called since last night when I told him that he was smart and that he should follow his instincts and that I'd be proud of him no matter what he chose to do.

Wishing all of you, and yours, the best. Gofigyer
My limited experience chatting with recruiters (I wrote an article about a year ago about the military as a career path and the best experience I had was dealing with the local USMC recruiters) was wonderful. Like every other Marine I've encountered here and in the real world, they are straight shooters, and they will you inspire tremendous respect and admiration. You will walk out of there enlightened and confident in your son's decision.

There's a saying I've always liked that seems appropriate in this situation:
"Forewarned is forearmed."

I look forward to further updates. :thumbup:

Gator347
05-08-08, 02:23 PM
"Like every other Marine I've encountered here and in the real world, they are straight shooters, and they will you inspire tremendous respect and admiration. You will walk out of there enlightened and confident in your son's decision"

AMEN!!!

The Recruiters & DIs are nothing short of "Outstanding!" - Overworked & Underpayed.

gofigyer
05-08-08, 06:57 PM
:) Looks like he took Step 1. He took his physical at 3:30 this morning and passed and OHMG is he excited (as am I since I am now better informed).

So he has a tentative ship date of Sept. 22 to SD. WOW - so begins the journey.....

Thanks for all the support and information I got here. Looks like I too will soon be able to sign myself Marine Mom!!

gofigyer

darkgreen0311
05-08-08, 08:02 PM
Mom he's going to make you proud he'll be fine and you'll be fine. My mother told me when i left for Boot Camp she cried everyday and lost 5lbs in a week. You're a mom and you're suppose to worry it's in the mom handbook. He's going to be a great Marine.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

MarineNCO
05-09-08, 06:15 AM
:) Looks like he took Step 1. He took his physical at 3:30 this morning and passed and OHMG is he excited (as am I since I am now better informed).

So he has a tentative ship date of Sept. 22 to SD. WOW - so begins the journey.....

Thanks for all the support and information I got here. Looks like I too will soon be able to sign myself Marine Mom!!

gofigyer

Just make sure you help him get prepared for boot camp. Wake him up early, make him PT until he throws up. make him learn his general orders, make him learn how to make a tight rack...oh wait....he IS 20 hehe. But a little encouragement from Mom never hurts.

Here is a story for ya:

I know one of my Marines did NOT like it when I called his Mother about his binge drinking and general bad disposition towards authority. To be clear I only called to make sure nothing bad was going on at home that would lead to this attitude shift. She listened to what I had to say about my observations and what was going on with him then asked to speak with him.

I heard her yelling, yes YELLING, at him for 10 minutes straight, The first words out of her mouth (she was that loud) was I KNOW I AM NOT HEARING ABOUT YOU DISRESPECTING SOMEONE! I RAISED YOU BETTER!! After that all he said was yes ma'am, no ma'am and I'm sorry Momma. About 3 minutes in he started bawling. It turns out he had not spoken with his mother in 6 months (since he got back from boot leave). Even after I told my Marines to make sure they call their families regularly to keep the ties strong.

I have NEVER seen someone do a 180 that fast. He turned out to be meritoriously promoted to Corporal and 1yr 3mos later picked up Sgt. He is one of the most motivated individuals that I have ever seen. All this from a little "encouragement" from Mom and a reminder of the reasons why he became a Marine in the first place.

gofigyer
05-09-08, 11:10 AM
What a great story! Guess I'm glad to know that even tho' you all assure me that he's a 'man', there's somebody there that will rat him out if he doesn't pull his weight! HAHAH. And I would bet my eye teeth that he would NOT want to get a phone call like that.

Actually, he lives fulltime with his dad. His current job is not very physical though; do you think it would be helpful to offer a 3 month stint at a gym?? He's pretty active otherwise, but I'm thinking that snowboarding doesn't really help too much in getting him in shape.

That's one of the reasons I know he's growing up. Cause the first words out of his mouth were not "do they have snowboarding in San Diego". HAHAHA.

So I haven't read all the general rules and ettiquette yet, just cruised them in my initial panic. What is he now? Since he's signed his MOU and took his oath. And, of course, I'm dying to call the family. Is he a pool (ee)? Or a soon-to-be or what?

Getting my feet wet in Denver. Gofigyer

Gator347
05-09-08, 11:26 AM
Actually, he lives fulltime with his dad. His current job is not very physical though; do you think it would be helpful to offer a 3 month stint at a gym?? He's pretty active otherwise, but I'm thinking that snowboarding doesn't really help too much in getting him in shape.

Just get him into the POOL (Marines Ready to Ship - Delayed Entry Program) The Recruier will get him ready.

My son was rehabbing 12 months after a car wreck. In January he could not even run 1 1/2 miles. He shipped in May and graduated in August 07.

Awesome RSS (Houma, LA), Greater Recruiters, Class A SDI (Senior D. I.):evilgrin:

What he needs now is your support.:thumbup:

marinemom
05-09-08, 01:09 PM
Do not freak out because of the quickness of events - better that than delays, delays, delays.

You've been given good advice - remember it is his decision - and your support while he gets through the paperwork, exams and the Depot is one thing that he needs the most.

All of us who have sons and daughters in the Corps have the same "heart condition" as you - and if you think you are porud of him now, wait until you see him walk across the parade deck at graduation - it is a feeliong that is totally undescribable.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Marine Parents - get ready for the ride of your life!

temarti
05-09-08, 02:28 PM
I was in his shoes 17 years ago, 20yrs old working a dead end and not growing out of what was going on with the local crowd. I went talked to the recruiter took the ASVAB and within two weeks signed the papers. I was asked by family if I thought this through and if I had planned it out. The plan was, there was not one. There was no other future plan for where I was at that time either.

Basically, it was the best decision I had ever made. If I taken time to think it through I would have more than likely let others talk me out of it. As I travel back home once a year I see those who were questioning my decision and look at where they are now.

I look back at my time in and know that there is no way I can pay back what was given to me. For 11 years I was with the largest retailer in Loss Prevention, I have had the opportunity to be responsible for stores in a few major metro markets and spend a few years in Corp. fraud living with my family in Singapore and Tokyo. Just last year I was able to reconnect with the Marine Corps by taking a postion at HQ and have oversight for the Asset Protection programs.

Basically, if I had not made the quick decision that I did and took the risk 17 years ago I would not of had the opportunities that I have had. Your son will do fine and you will find that it was the best decision that he has made as an adult.

gofigyer
05-09-08, 02:51 PM
Wow. I see that I have a lot to learn but knowing some of the ins and outs certainly helps, as do all of your experiences. So much I don't know. So I will do what you all suggest - butt out, let the Marines do their jobs, and be the best support system that I can. I have no doubt (and never did) that the path he has chosen is the right one for him. I already know what kind of a young man he is and look forward to seeing him grow into the man that he will be.

gofigyer

quillhill
05-09-08, 04:28 PM
I am proud of every single one of the Poolees from Leatherneck that earns the Title. I mostly lurk these days but I follow a lot of the posts the kids make as they prepare to hit the yellow footprints. If I don't make it on here during the week I make sure to check in every Friday night and Saturday night to see if we have any new Marines. :)
So, I can only begin to imagine how you must feel as a parent (as I don't have kids, so I can only empathize) and how you will feel as a parent.
But I remember when my brother graduated from Air Force basic military training three years ago. My eyes, as the Marines like to say, were leaking like a faucet. ;)
I suspect your experience will be that much more intense. I'm excited for you and your son.
As I can't serve myself due to my health issues I live vicariously through others and support those who serve and their loved ones.