PDA

View Full Version : The Few, the Proud, the Marines

thedrifter
05-07-08, 07:43 AM
The Few, the Proud, the Marines

(KAAL)--- Tonight we're going to take you inside the Marine Corps boot camp.

When we traveled to the training depot last month, we got to see local recruits in all stages of that training.

We're taking you from start to finish, to see what it takes to become a United States Marine.

It can start early.

While they come in for different reasons, they all have similar goals.

But to accomplish all those things, these recruits, fresh off the plane, will have to get through a lot of yelling.

And no matter what they've heard, they're never prepared.

It starts on the yellow footprints at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.

That's where all new recruits learn the basic stance of attention.

Before moving into the contraband room, where a recruit's personal belongings are taken.

And on to the barbers seat, they come in as individuals come out looking the same.

"They're pretty much all carrying the same stuff, they all kind of look the same, they've all got the same haircut and we just try to take away that individualism," Sgt. Murch.

"The basic human instinct is me, me first, that doesn't work in a military environment and especially the Marine Corps, it just doesn't work. We have a place to put the manners and respect, self discipline, the honor, and the pride and all those things they came to us to get,” said Drill Instructor Johnson.

The Marine Corps is strict and straight to the point.

During their entire 13 weeks of training, recruits will never leave Marine Corps land.

"We have our own complete world where we can immerse them in the environment, same thing as learning a language, best way is emersion, best way to learn the marine corps is emersion," said Johnson.

They also never leave the sight of their drill instructors.

"I will train them to the best of my ability, I will develop them into smartly disciplined, physically fit, basically trained marines," said Johnson.

That transformation, from an individual to a team, happens in three phases.

The first four weeks includes first aid, drills, inspections and physical training.
There is also the confidence course at boot camp training and during their first four weeks of training, recruits will visit the course twice.

The first time they'll conquer the lower obstacles, then the second time they come back their drill instructors hope they've gained enough confidence to go all the way up on the higher obstacles on the course.

During phase two, recruits move north to Camp Pendleton.

Here they'll learn how to use their weapon in a variety of situations.

Dor some it's the first time they've ever handled one.

During the last phase of training, recruits use all the lessons they've learned to survive in the crucible, a 54 hour test of strength, courage and teamwork.

Over three days recruits get just three pre-packaged meals, less than 4 hours of sleep each night and they are tested physically and mentally.

"Dirty and smelly they will stand in front of this young recruit, they will look them in the eye, they will remind them of what their first impression of them was, they will say they are proud of them, they will shake their hand and they'll give them a 68 cent piece which is our eagle, globe and anchor and we'll call them Marine for the very first time," said Recruit Dean Salinas.

"You feel proud, you feel really proud and when they play proud to be an american you actually about cry, it's a really great feeling," said new Marine Phillip Laster.

Having completed that ceremony, Philip Laster, now enjoys a warrior's breakfast.

A chance to eat, drink and relax for just a bit.

Once the crucible is over, Marines transfer back to the depot, for a final week of boot camp where they'll prepare for graduation.

"All kinds of emotions, bottled-up right now, just can't wait to see my family, it's been a long 3 months."

A long three months that has managed to turn boys fresh out of high school, into United States Marines.

Ellie