PDA

View Full Version : Man who claimed to get MoH pleads guilty

thedrifter
05-06-08, 07:52 AM
Man who claimed to get MoH pleads guilty
The Associated Press
Posted : Tuesday May 6, 2008 6:50:13 EDT

LOS ANGELES — A man who lied during a public meeting about being awarded the nation’s highest military honor pleaded guilty Monday to violating the Stolen Valor Act of 2005.

Xavier Alvarez, 50, of Pomona, said he served as a Marine and won the Medal of Honor when he was introduced as a newly elected member of a Claremont water board in July 2007.

“I’m a retired Marine of 25 years. I retired in the year 2001. Back in 1987, I was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. I got wounded many times by the same guy. I’m still around,” Alvarez said during the meeting, according to a recording of it.

His attorney, Deputy Federal Public Defender Brianna Fuller, argued that his free speech was protected by the First Amendment.

Government prosecutors argued that the First Amendment does not protect deliberate falsehoods.

His plea with the U.S. Attorney’s Office gives Alvarez the right to appeal the plea based on his right to free speech.

Alvarez faces up to one year in federal prison and a $100,000 fine when he is sentenced July 21.

Ellie