PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Lt. Col. Paul "Chips" Catalogne

tcatalogne
05-05-08, 10:39 PM
I'll try to keep this short.

My Father, Lt. Col. Paul "Chips" Catalogne died in October, 2005. As many Marines do, my Father and I had a tough relationship at times.

Unfortunatley, my step-mother had my Father cremated and buried in her family area cemetary. That's the last place my Father wanted to be, that I know. My whole life, he made it clear he was going to Arlington.

They have denied me having anything there at all for him unless I can produce his ashes. Which I can't. My Brother and I and his 3 Grandchildren are his only family.

Is there anywhere we can memorialize him in a proper way? If anyone reading this knew my Father you know he is very deserving of this.

To be tucked away in a country side graveyard is not what he would have wanted and certainly not what we want.

Whether his ashes are there or not, eventually it's irrelevant isn't it. His true spirit was with the Marine Corps. He truly loved who he was when he was a Marine. He was a better Marine than he was a Father or Husband and one of the things that made him great was the fact that he was the first to admit that.

I miss him everyday and after 2 and 1/2 years still feel unsettled that there isn't something more for him.

Is there anything I can do. Anywhere that his spirit can be laid to rest in the proper way? Thank you for any advice.

UsmcMotorT
05-19-08, 08:34 AM
I would try military one source or the VA. Hopefully everything works out.

barry drayson
01-22-14, 10:05 AM
To...T. Catalogne:

I read your poignant message concerning your Father, Chips Catalogne.

I am not a Marine but I 'served' with Chips at Sanford Bernstein from 1989 - 1990. We shared an office for a year and became firm friends afterwards; Chips had no other sort of friends. He was a constant source of encouragement while the two of us sought success in changes in our careers at advanced age; he was always quiet about his accomplishments even if some stories of Vietnam could shake me where I stood. He was a leader, a man who had become compassionate by having seen so much real tragedy. Yes, he deserves to be in Arlington. But there is something more than that you might wish to remember. Even those who met him long after his 'Caesar' years could still recognize the integrity and courage of a true warrior. He even recalled his earlier days, if my memory serves me well, of carving stone masonry at churches in Yonkers with your Grandfather.

I only hope this helps; it is several years since you wrote your Memorial but that does not mean that the memories of others cannot confirm your own, inner feelings. I remember Chips, fondly, respectfully and often. Maybe one day you will find a way to transfer his sacred ashes. In the meantime, there are those that will remember him no matter how long that takes.

Yours sincerely,

Barry Drayson

Aegis499
02-09-15, 06:22 PM
Your ur father ever mention a Harry Dietz? He was class of 61 at usna? I think he and your father served together in Vietnam. He was my father

I'll try to keep this short.

My Father, Lt. Col. Paul "Chips" Catalogne died in October, 2005. As many Marines do, my Father and I had a tough relationship at times.

Unfortunatley, my step-mother had my Father cremated and buried in her family area cemetary. That's the last place my Father wanted to be, that I know. My whole life, he made it clear he was going to Arlington.

They have denied me having anything there at all for him unless I can produce his ashes. Which I can't. My Brother and I and his 3 Grandchildren are his only family.

Is there anywhere we can memorialize him in a proper way? If anyone reading this knew my Father you know he is very deserving of this.

To be tucked away in a country side graveyard is not what he would have wanted and certainly not what we want.

Whether his ashes are there or not, eventually it's irrelevant isn't it. His true spirit was with the Marine Corps. He truly loved who he was when he was a Marine. He was a better Marine than he was a Father or Husband and one of the things that made him great was the fact that he was the first to admit that.

I miss him everyday and after 2 and 1/2 years still feel unsettled that there isn't something more for him.

Is there anything I can do. Anywhere that his spirit can be laid to rest in the proper way? Thank you for any advice.

Phantom Blooper
02-09-15, 07:01 PM
You may want to send the OP an email from his profile since this thread is at least 7 years old........