PDA

View Full Version : A quick intro.

JSam
05-05-08, 08:35 PM
Hello, fellow Wannabes, Poolees, and Marines,
I don't think I've taken the time to properly introduce myself.

I'm JSam.
I'm seventeen years old, and I live near Atlanta, GA.

I've wanted to be a marine since I was 10, and (forgive me) I want to become a sniper. I know how you guys are about wannabe snipers and Recons, but (I'm sure you've heard this before) I'm not like them.

I've been training hard for the past two years. My endurance is exceptional for my age, and I've studied up on a lot of the Corps history. My PFT score is 300 on a good day (my pullups vary but I can usually pull off a good 20).

I push myself hard, and I have strong morals codes and motivation.

I do have a slight problem, however-- I'm homeschooled. And being homeschooled, that makes me a Tier 2.
I went to talk to a recruited about a month ago, and he wanted me to take a semester of college to become a Tier 1. He wouldn't even entertain the thought of me being a Tier 1. He wasn't in uniform in the Recruiting Station, he was wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Any suggestions for maybe a recruiter change, or other thoughts?

Marines, thank you for your service, I am eternally grateful for all you have done, and still do. :flag:

Sincerily,

Jared.

Donut Brigade
05-05-08, 08:43 PM
Recruiters can wear whatever they please if they are not out in malls or schools. Chances are you will see him in dress blues next time you come in.

About 6 months ago, I wanted to join the Army and become a sniper, too. Thank God we overcome these stages in life.

JSam
05-05-08, 08:47 PM
It was a recruiting station in a mall.
I've NEVER seen him in dress blues and I pass by there all the time.
Another Marine in the station is ALWAYS in his blues, but never this guy.

When I entered the room, he looked up and sat there, then looked down again.
My mom was with me, and he sat there and didn't acknowledge us at all.

I understand that Marines aren't after everyone, and I'm not trying to disrespect the recruiter at all, I just didn't find him a very helpful person.

Donut Brigade
05-05-08, 09:06 PM
I would get a different recruiter. If a recruiter avoids you and isn't helpful to you, he doesn't deserve a poolee.

JSam
05-05-08, 09:07 PM
That was my thought.
I think that he just wanted to try and make me an Officer...

Marine84
05-05-08, 09:07 PM
You're only 17 - maybe he doesn't take you seriously. Think about how many kids he sees that can go now - big as this city is, I'm sure he has enough.

JJA1990
05-05-08, 09:08 PM
I would get a different recruiter. If a recruiter avoids you and isn't helpful to you, he doesn't deserve a poolee.

But first examine whether or not the same exact thing will happen with another recruiter. Chances are if one doesnt want you because you are homeschooled, it can/will happen with another.

JSam
05-05-08, 09:09 PM
You're only 17 - maybe he doesn't take you seriously. Think about how many kids he sees that can go now - big as this city is, I'm sure he has enough.

I guess you're right... And at the time, I couldn't even DEP in because I was still 16.
I'll check out another recruiter and see how things go from there.

Donut Brigade
05-05-08, 09:10 PM
Don't let the recruiters push you with ANYTHING, Jared.

Donut Brigade
05-05-08, 09:12 PM
I guess you're right... And at the time, I couldn't even DEP in because I was still 16.

Well duh that explain a lot. I bet now with a proper age and a diploma thinks can go somewhere.

JSam
05-05-08, 09:14 PM
Well, I knew that he wouldn't push me to sign, and I just wanted to get a feel for things, check out any offers or anything.

Obviously, that didn't go great.

Marine84
05-05-08, 09:15 PM
Don't let the recruiters push you with ANYTHING, Jared.

Push him with what? HE'S 17! We live in Atlanta! A Recruiter don't HAVE to "push" nobody.

J - if you're serious about the Corps. Hang out at the Recruiters office or do I need to meet you over there one day and talk to him with you?

Donut Brigade
05-05-08, 09:17 PM
I had a very unpleaseant experience with recruiters, ma'am. From now on whenever I see/hear anyone talk about military recruiters pressing people to do things I feel obligated to remind them.

JSam
05-05-08, 09:18 PM
I'm completely serious about it, trust me.
I'll do a bit more searching around, and figure out what I really need to do to make this happen.
If all else fails, I might need to take you up on your offer.

And to clear up the sniper thing, I don't want to do that right off, because that's unreasonable.
I plan on going 0311 (of course) for a good bit and seeing how that goes till I really decide about going sniper.

JSam
05-05-08, 09:19 PM
I had a very unpleaseant experience with recruiters, ma'am. From now on whenever I see/hear anyone talk about military recruiters pressing people to do things I feel obligated to remind them.

I know what you're saying...
I also know how some recruiters will offer you wine and cheese to get you to sign. But I'm yet to meet a Marine who would do that.

dtsetzer
05-05-08, 11:10 PM
JSam, I was homeschooled as well. You're going to be required to provide ample proof that you've aquired an education equal to that of someone who graduated from a public highschool. Provided you can do that, you won't go in as tier 2. I went through it with my recruiter a thousand times to make sure I would be tier 1. I don't know how you guys do your homeschooling, with me, my parents ran through a registered teacher who would do an annual review to make sure I had passed the grade. If you have someone like that, they will be able to get you all the necessary documentation. I had been accepted to a college as well, so I was able to provide acceptance letters and those things, which I'm sure helped out quite a bit. Here's a few articles to show I'm not making this up :) These are from the Homeschool Legal Defense Association. http://nche.hslda.org/docs/news/hslda/200707030.asp
http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/washingtontimes/200707300.asp

There's a couple, if you feel like doing a little more searching around, www.hslda.org (http://www.hslda.org) is their website, they've got quite a few articles on it. At MEPS you will also be required to take something along the lines of a personality test. I think that's what it was at least, it was a little weird, but hey, whatever it takes to be able to sign and swear in! It sounds like it may be a recruiter issue as well, try talking to a different one, mine was very open to the idea of me being homeschooled, and processed everything very quickly. Hope this helps.

-Poolee Setzer

JSam
05-05-08, 11:20 PM
Thanks a lot man, that helps tons.

I'm not sure that we run it through a teacher or anything, but in GA I'm recruired to take standardized tests every three years in order to continue being homeschooled. My mom's working on it with a few of her friends, as I don't really know much about homeschool acrediataion and such, but I'll give her your links. Many thanks!