View Full Version : Pull ups

Warlord787
05-05-08, 06:33 PM
Well I'm here to ask for help I can't do 1 pull up

My IST is as followed

Run: 11:24 1.5 miles
Crunches: 70
Pull Ups: 0

Now is it possable to make that pull ups into at least 3 before Basic when Basic is 2 weeks away? Also Remember I can only do a half a Pull up. What happens when I can do the Pull ups at MEPS or at the Recruit Depot?

Thank you

Poolee Clayton

JSam
05-05-08, 06:47 PM
Work on your arm and shoulder strength, obviously.

Do a lot of pushups, they'll help your shoulders.
The Military/Push Press is a good weight lifting thing that would help a little, but overall, the only thing that helps pullups, is pullups.
My suggestion: Do Flex Hangs. Go to the highest point you can go on the pullup bar, and hold it there for as long as you can. Rest 40 secs, repeat.

Marine84
05-05-08, 07:06 PM
You've already psyched yourself into believing that you can't do them. Until you get that mind frame right, you won't make it.

bbond007
05-05-08, 07:13 PM
You've already psyched yourself into believing that you can't do them. Until you get that mind frame right, you won't make it.
Marine84 is 100% right the only way you can do a pull up is get it in ur head this ain't nuttin ya no man. But the only way to do a pull up is by doing them if you can't do one right now get a buddy to hold ur legs for like 2 weeks till you leave and make sure u do them everyday, and at ur house lets say u go in ur room and then walk out do 25 push ups every time u leave the room. But you have to want to get better get ur Shi* in the game. Get it done BUST UR @SS..

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-05-08, 08:02 PM
0 pull ups to 1 pull up is the hardest gain there is. If you don't get past that, don't ship... period.

JSam
05-05-08, 08:04 PM
The goal of the matter is to push yourself your hardest every single time.

Tell yourself that you CAN do it, and that you WILL do it.

Lupisella
05-05-08, 08:52 PM
I hate when people ask me when I leave for basic training. I say "Well, I go to BOOTCAMP recruit training _____." Haha nothing basic about the Marine Corps!

JSam
05-05-08, 08:53 PM
I didn't catch that, Lupisella.

Damn right!
It's Boot Camp, get it right.

jungholee90
05-05-08, 09:41 PM
Do a lot of push-ups everyday (just whenever you find time, max out.) If you can find help try doing assisted pull-up pyramids. Negatives also help (starting from top and slowly come down to complete dead-hang.) Once you get one pull-up, then just keep trying from there. You will get two easily once you get the first one.

fs19
05-05-08, 10:07 PM
I DEPed in last October with 2 pullups- I'm at 16 now. Work on them every single day. Do negatives (Start at top of bar and slowly lower yourself down, repeat until you can't your arm-at all), Pushups-hundreds of them every day, lat pulldowns, a couple hundred more pushups, curls, tricep rows, military/shoulder press, more pushups, more negatives. Once you go through that a few times you should be good and warmed up to start your work out:evilgrin:.

Serioulsy though, do all those exercises and anything else that will work on your upper body strenght. Do them every day. You will be amazed how fast you gain.

project
05-05-08, 10:19 PM
I went from 0 back in june to 20 now. I do it with the palms of my hands facing me so its only my biceps and shoulders. I just did alot of curls and if you cant do one pull-up get someone to spot you. The easiest way to get better at pull-ups is doing them. Get motivated and get to work. You can easily be doing 3 in 2 weeks.

P.S. Pushups wont help you at all if you do them the way i do them(palms facing you). If you do pull-ups with your palms away from you then they will because it works your back.

JSam
05-05-08, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that at Boot, you have to do Pullups (palms facing out), not Chinups (palms facing you).

project
05-05-08, 10:49 PM
You can do them either way. As long as you lock your arms out and put you chin over the bar.

JSam
05-05-08, 11:22 PM
I wasn't aware of this... that means I can pull those off without a sweat.

jbourne224
05-05-08, 11:31 PM
Hey,

Everything is goin to be alright, just focus on the mental game, thats where most of your physical being (body) is. If u believe in yourself, you can do it. Dont think of the pain when doing them, think of a good memory or the payoff of becoming a United States Marine, and that is the biggest motivation we have, and that alone, will let u accomplish anything my friend.

Rasczak
05-05-08, 11:47 PM
We're form the same RSS. Have I met you and are you going to the poolee function this weekend. I'll give you some pointers on how to develop those pullups. Maybe We can get you to 3 by then.