PDA

View Full Version : Want to make sure I'm not setting myself up to get screwed over.

NeedSomePT
05-05-08, 05:24 PM
Just got back from the recrutier's office. We hadn't talked in a while so he wanted to know what's up etc. I had already told him before I was wanting to do infantry so he asked if I still wanted to do it and I said yes. They said that'fine and they'll put me in as "ground option" or something like that.

I asked, wait a minute what do you mean by that? They said it is just the general ground field, infantry, artillery etc. Once you get the MCRD a job representative talks with you and you tell him which one you awnt to do.

Unless that is the way all infantry contracts are done, to me, that just sounds like a semi open contract just waiting to screw me over. I can see it now, I go in damn well expecting and wanting infantry and I end up in artillery.

What are your opinions on this? Is it a normal procedure to do "ground option" or should I insist that I want to do infantry only?

Marine84
05-05-08, 05:53 PM
Read the other 1,264 posts on this site answering this same "should I sign it if it ain't got what I want on it" question.

sparkie
05-05-08, 06:12 PM
Open grunt contract,,,,,,,, Ya get what they want ya to get. If you need better, wait for better wording. Might have to wait till October for the new fiscal year.

Big Jim
05-05-08, 06:15 PM
Just got back from the recrutier's office. We hadn't talked in a while so he wanted to know what's up etc. I had already told him before I was wanting to do infantry so he asked if I still wanted to do it and I said yes. They said that'fine and they'll put me in as "ground option" or something like that.

I asked, wait a minute what do you mean by that? They said it is just the general ground field, infantry, artillery etc. Once you get the MCRD a job representative talks with you and you tell him which one you awnt to do.

Unless that is the way all infantry contracts are done, to me, that just sounds like a semi open contract just waiting to screw me over. I can see it now, I go in damn well expecting and wanting infantry and I end up in artillery.

What are your opinions on this? Is it a normal procedure to do "ground option" or should I insist that I want to do infantry only?

Well tell him you want MOS-0311 then...thats a basic Infantryman!!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-05-08, 06:26 PM
He isn't telling you the whole story. If you want infantry you will need your contract to say 03XX. A "ground option" is some program they have going that includes other fields. It will not be your desires that get you assigned, it will be the needs of the Corps. Since we see that infantry is closed and people are having difficulty getting it, I cannot see any way they would give it to you under some option program.

NeedSomePT
05-05-08, 07:29 PM
sparkie- yes my shipdate (just picked a date to use at MEPS) is in September. Waiting just one month to go in October is no biggie esp. if it means I get the job I want.

Big Jim- Isn't it only rervists that can pick a specific MOS? I was under the impression AD can only pick the 03 field after that it's pretty much out of your hands.

Echo_Four_Bravo- thanks, that really clears it up. It is true that infantry is really packed. A while back he showed me this paper which showed every job that was available each month. Infantry had 0 almost all the way.

I guess I will just tell them that I want 03XX and nothing else.

KevinR90
05-05-08, 07:47 PM
sparkie- yes my shipdate (just picked a date to use at MEPS) is in September. Waiting just one month to go in October is no biggie esp. if it means I get the job I want.

Big Jim- Isn't it only rervists that can pick a specific MOS? I was under the impression AD can only pick the 03 field after that it's pretty much out of your hands.

Echo_Four_Bravo- thanks, that really clears it up. It is true that infantry is really packed. A while back he showed me this paper which showed every job that was available each month. Infantry had 0 almost all the way.

I guess I will just tell them that I want 03XX and nothing else.

Doesn't that basically mean you already signed a contract if you have a ship date? I'm thinking you should have gotten Infantry contract in writting before doing anything.

NeedSomePT
05-05-08, 08:03 PM
Doesn't that basically mean you already signed a contract if you have a ship date? I'm thinking you should have gotten Infantry contract in writting before doing anything.
No that's just the DEP contract.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-05-08, 08:06 PM
You sign more than one contract, no big deal to get changes done between them. In fact, none of the people I know got their jobs when they DEP'ed in. That came later.

KevinR90
05-05-08, 09:08 PM
true, i just wasn't thinking when I typed that. I just thought it'd be easier to get a job depending on your shipdate.

Seoke
05-07-08, 12:48 AM
Disclaimer: This is just what I've been told and have learned from personal research, if any of this is wrong feel free to let me know.

Next month is the new period, on June 2nd... So if you want an 03 contract you might have to wait until next month to pick your job, then again slots open and close constantly, my recruiter showed me that within a three day span here at SF RSS an infantry slot opened and closed. So just keep on your recruiter to keep checking everyday and if theres a day when it's opened then tell him you want to go pick your job before someone else gets it... if you're DEPd in he should be able to put the slot on hold for you until you get to MEPs. Anyways in June the new period starts which means all new openings and everything for your RSS, including bonuses and slots for MOSs so have him give you another printout, and look it over in Period 5 I believe and it will show you what you can get if you wait until June 2nd.

Infantry can be guaranteed, but before you get out of boot them tell you that you're one of these MOSs
0311 (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl0311.htm)-- Rifleman
0313 (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl0313.htm)-- LAV Crewman
0331 (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/%3Cp%3E%3Cb%3E%5Blink%20url=http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0331.htm)-- Machine Gunner
0341 (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl0341.htm)-- Mortarman
0351 (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl0351.htm)-- Assaultman
0352 (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl0352.htm)-- Antitank Assault Guided Missileman

The only GUARENTEED MOS for AD is Recon.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Also, ground option is a semi open contract as you said. It means that they can put you into any of those MOSs that are listed in your recruiters book, at the Marine Corps regard. They pick and you have no say in it, but it's a guaranteed MOS out of those listed. Which is what I'm considering doing if theres no infantry slots. If theres nothing I like I'm just going open contract because I want to get out of here Monday lol.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-07-08, 03:01 AM
You don't need to tell them anything in boot camp unless they come and ask you. They will handle everything for you when the time is correct, whether that is when you are getting your orders to SOI at the end of boot camp of when you get there.

There may be some new jobs open in June. But the start of the fiscal year is October 1, that is when you know you can get your job. Other than that, you have to hope your recruiter can find what you're wanting to do.

Seoke
05-07-08, 09:16 PM
Sorry CPL didn't mean to say them lol I meant they will tell you >>

Haffner
05-07-08, 09:55 PM
How are you going to tell people that recon is a guaranteed MOS? That's horse ****. A shot at the indoc may be guaranteed, but not the MOS.

Seoke
05-08-08, 11:13 PM
Corporal, you can get it in your contract that as long as you meet the physical requirements after boot that you'll get Recon. We just had a poolee join as Recon.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-09-08, 12:18 AM
Corporal, you can get it in your contract that as long as you meet the physical requirements after boot that you'll get Recon. We just had a poolee join as Recon.

http://forum.alsacreations.com/upload/2043-fail-camera.jpg

Hiro88
05-09-08, 11:41 PM
im signed under ground options as well.. =/

beebe2141
07-24-08, 01:05 PM
I'm under ground option as well, and I lost my contract paper that listed the jobs under ground option, and I cannot seem to find a list of those on the internet, does anyone happen to know them or has a link to them? Googled and found nothing, I might just not be using the correct words. I think I remember that there is artillery, tank crewman, military police? I can't remember.

Thanks.

mdlangley
07-24-08, 02:11 PM
Just wanted to pop in and let some of you guys know that at least in my district (district 8) that the new jobs have come open. My contract is still in line and/or my recruiters are waiting to get word back from Dallas, but they do have the list and new jobs are out there. I cannot speak for any other districts but now would be a good time to at least check with your recruiters to see if they have the list, as I would assume that all the districts would receive it at around the same time.

slimmy07
07-24-08, 04:00 PM
Just wanted to pop in and let some of you guys know that at least in my district (district 8) that the new jobs have come open. My contract is still in line and/or my recruiters are waiting to get word back from Dallas, but they do have the list and new jobs are out there. I cannot speak for any other districts but now would be a good time to at least check with your recruiters to see if they have the list, as I would assume that all the districts would receive it at around the same time.

ALL the districts get the lists in june. I have been telling people on this site for the last month that FY09 jobs are already here and that you DONOT have to wait to DEP till october. You can DEP now, but you have to have a ship date in FY09 which means october1st and there after.

mdlangley
07-24-08, 09:58 PM
I've been waiting for the list since June. When I DEPed in (with an October ship date) the recruiters made some phone calls to his superiors and got the projected date of mid-July for the new list. I had heard from my recruiter earlier this week that he had it and I needed to correct an error on my contract that was waiting (they needed 3 choices, I only had one). I was just trying to let any poolees who had been waiting for the list to open or who had not decided exactly which OccField they wanted that now is the time to make a decision or check up on any final paperwork that could delay a contract.

By the way I do appreciate the info you have been giving us poolees and I hope that none of the above has seemed disrespectful in any way.

Try2CatchMike
07-25-08, 12:01 AM
Just to give you a heads up, yes you do have a chance to become a grunt with ground option but ive had 4 friends who signed up under it (infantry was full) and they are working with artillery now. So do not believe that bull**** about picking something at bootcamp. Tell your recruiter you are NOT shipping till you sign a contract for 03XX. Once you get to SOI and start training you will get the last 2 digits of your MOS which will be, Basic Rifleman, Machine Gunner, TOW Gunner etc....

Ground Option is NOT going to get you infantry, tell your recruiter your not shipping or you ARE going to get screwed. Wait till a spot opens up dont be impatient I promise youll regret it like a few Marines I know...

ZSKI
07-25-08, 02:23 AM

Poolee here is a tip don't tell someone higher ranking that you know more. That physical requirement is the indoc which he would have to pass to be recon. I don't know the specifics but its like a 12 mile ruck run a few mile swim first between them and at the end they have to run a first class pft

CplKJSpevak
07-25-08, 05:39 AM
Poolees........If you guys want Guarantee's and promises of Rose Gardens, Go be an Army of One! They have plenty of room, openings and money.....Otherwise let the Marine Corps put you where they NEED you! If you go into the Marine Corps with an entitled attitude of "my recruiter screwed me" you will become a ****bird.

CplKJSpevak
07-25-08, 05:44 AM

WHAT THE FVCK??

HOW WOULD A POOLEE (WHO HAS NOT EVEN DONE A BOOT CAMP HUMP YET) KNOW HE EVEN WANTED TO BE A RECON MARINE? THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT.

slimmy07
07-25-08, 11:37 AM
WHAT THE FVCK??

HOW WOULD A POOLEE (WHO HAS NOT EVEN DONE A BOOT CAMP HUMP YET) KNOW HE EVEN WANTED TO BE A RECON MARINE? THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT.

Yes, they can guarntee you a SHOT at recon at the recruiting stations now. You do have to be in pretty good shape though to get it. It works like this... You graduate boot camp, go to SOI and sometime during SOI you will take the indoc, if you pass the indoc then you graduate SOI and go into recon training. If you fail, you become an infantryman. Right now though from my understanding they give EVERYONE at SOI the indoc test because they NEED recon Marines.

CplKJSpevak
07-25-08, 12:32 PM
:usmc:
Yes, they can guarntee you a SHOT at recon at the recruiting stations now. You do have to be in pretty good shape though to get it. It works like this... You graduate boot camp, go to SOI and sometime during SOI you will take the indoc, if you pass the indoc then you graduate SOI and go into recon training. If you fail, you become an infantryman. Right now though from my understanding they give EVERYONE at SOI the indoc test because they NEED recon Marines.

Good to go! once again brought up to speed by Sgt. Slimmy:beer:

slimmy07
07-25-08, 01:01 PM
:usmc:

Good to go! once again brought up to speed by Sgt. Slimmy:beer:

No problem my fellow brother. I had the same thoughts about it as your previous post. These guys have not even made it through MCRD and they already have a shot at recon....CRAZY!

ForeverChanged
07-26-08, 01:25 PM
Right now though from my understanding they give EVERYONE at SOI the indoc test because they NEED recon Marines

Thats what I just heard from a friend of mine, a recent grad from SOI, that they were offering the INDOC to anyone who wished to give it a shot.

dhenderson88
07-26-08, 02:23 PM
I'm just curious, can any MOS try for the Recon Indoc or do you have to have an infantry contract?

SGT7477
07-27-08, 10:23 AM

That is bull sheet.:evilgrin:

ZSKI
07-27-08, 10:37 AM
I'm just curious, can any MOS try for the Recon Indoc or do you have to have an infantry contract?

As far as i know if you can get into an indoc and do well on it they will let you in.

SGT7477
07-27-08, 10:42 AM
Poolees........If you guys want Guarantee's and promises of Rose Gardens, Go be an Army of One! They have plenty of room, openings and money.....Otherwise let the Marine Corps put you where they NEED you! If you go into the Marine Corps with an entitled attitude of "my recruiter screwed me" you will become a ****bird.

You got that right Cpl if our beloved Corps needs cooks they could end up there I've seen many broken promises,lol.