PDA

View Full Version : Spouses walk in their Marine husbands' boots

thedrifter
05-05-08, 06:53 AM
Spouses walk in their Marine husbands' boots

May 4, 2008 - 8:55PM
BY LANCE CPL. LAURA A. MAPES, SPECIAL TO THE SUN

First there was John Wayne and now there is Jane Wayne.

About 30 spouses of Yuma-based Marines got the opportunity to walk in their significant others' boots during the recent Jane Wayne Day hosted by Marine Attack Squadron 211.

"I think this is a neat opportunity to see the squadron and what we do day-to-day," said Lt. Col. Eric Austin, VMA-211 commanding officer.

With help from Yuma-based Marine Wing Support Squadron 371, VMA-211 gave the spouses an up-close view of how an AV-8B Harrier lands and refuels at Auxiliary Airfield 2.

"Most of the spouses in the squadron have never seen the aircraft this close," said Sgt. Maj. Alberto Aviles, VMA-211 sergeant major.

The spouses then took a short bus ride to an observation post overlooking the Yodaville target complex, where they watched a live ordnance drop.

One of the spouses even got the chance to call in for close-air support.

"Wake 22, cleared hot, Wake 22, cleared hot," said Abby Gregalis to an inbound pilot over the radio.

Next, the participants visited the pistol range to try their hand at pistol marksmanship, firing live ammunition.

"The pistol range was the best part of the day for me, because I've never done it before," said Laci Lichtenfels, wife of Sgt. Steven Lichtenfels, an air frames mechanic. "This was great, and it made the wives more aware of what these guys do."

On the rifle range they again fired live ammunition from M-16A2 service rifles before they headed back to base to learn about the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and finish up with a barbecue.

"I would like to see this become an annual event for the squadron," said Austin. "It's a rare opportunity for our spouses to see why we come to work every day."

----
Lance Cpl. Laura A. Mapes writes for The Desert Warrior, the newspaper of the Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, from which this story is reprinted.

Ellie