PDA

View Full Version : Hope on making it a career or get out after four years?

NeedSomePT
05-04-08, 10:48 PM
I know that it doesn't mean much to say what your long term goal is because I've heard of people who were only going to go for four years but ended up loving it and stayin glonger others who wanted to make it a career and got out asap because they couldn't stand it.

My question is mostly directed towards poolees, but I suppose Marines can answer too.

Are (were) you hoping to make a career out of this or do (did) you want to just do your four years?

I am hoping that I can make a 20+ year career out of it. Hopefully it will happen.. only time will tell:)

JSam
05-04-08, 10:56 PM
I plan on going 8+ years then contracting out to a security firm or police force.

But depending on how things turn out, I might end up going from Enlisted to Officer, and if I make Officer, I'll go career MC.

Jbthomp
05-04-08, 11:57 PM
I'm just going with my initial contract at this point. I'll have to see how I like it. I'm going in as a cryptologist, and from what I hear, the FBI and CIA have a habit of hiring. Either that or Private Military.

AustinOverton
05-05-08, 08:18 AM
Depending on how it is my first four years, I am aiming on making a career out of it and going to OCS after my first four years.

Phantom Blooper
05-05-08, 09:42 AM
You need to plan to go to boot camp or OCS.....EARN THE TITLE.... graduate,go to school,go to the fleet,spend awhile and then set your long term goals. Putting the cart before the jackazz or counting the eggs as you are walking is not a good move.

You slip and fall (Recycle,Medical E.T.) and then you will be without!

Most Marines wait until at least six months before the enlistment is up and the Career Planner comes knocking on your hatch to make that type of long term decisions. Normally officers wait for augmentation to stay over the initial obligation.After the first re-enlistment it is played by ear for gaining rank and politics.

Motivation is GREAT! But wait to make that long term decision.:evilgrin:

Newski45
05-05-08, 09:50 AM
I plan on going 8+ years then contracting out to a security firm or police force.

But depending on how things turn out, I might end up going from Enlisted to Officer, and if I make Officer, I'll go career MC.

Just remember that it's not as easy as it sounds, You still have to go through OCS, but one thing at a time, for now get enlisted, then dwell upon earning the title, then think about OCS.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

AL49BGN
05-05-08, 11:31 AM
First See If You Have What It Takes To Be A Part Of Our Beloved Corps.If You Make It ,Then Take It As You Go.You May Love It Or Not You Will Not Know Until The Time Comes.First You Have To Become A Marine.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-05-08, 02:06 PM
I intended to get out after 4 years, and I did.

Honestly I think it is kind of silly to do more than one enlistment and then get out. At the end of your second enlistment you're almost half way to retirement, so you may as well keep at it until they tell you to leave.

Darrell B
05-05-08, 02:48 PM
I would love to go career but as of now I just want to get through boot and my first 4 year contract. After that I'll attempt to stay in for 20+ years. I plan to go to college and hopefully enter OCS but who knowes what the future holds.

bbond007
05-05-08, 02:57 PM
Well you never know till your in.. I look at it this was way if i do my four and renlist then I am staying lol i mean if I renlist thats 8 years Shi* your over the hump there ya no..But ya never know till ur in. But I want recon thats my main thing and i will stay in. Or go Feds.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-05-08, 03:24 PM
Just to throw this out there, there is no promise the feds will want you. Just being a Marine doesn't cut it. You'll need the degree that works in a given field or an MOS that they want. Other than that, you're not going to find much to do that you couldn't apply to do now.

KevinR90
05-05-08, 03:33 PM
I'm just concentrating on making it through boot camp right now.
After that, If I like it enough, I'll do my best to become an officer and go into aviation.
If I don't make it as an officer I'll probably stay in.

JSam
05-05-08, 03:33 PM
I'm just going with my initial contract at this point. I'll have to see how I like it. I'm going in as a cryptologist, and from what I hear, the FBI and CIA have a habit of hiring. Either that or Private Military.

Go NSA, they're the best crypto's in the world.

sawatzke82
05-05-08, 04:01 PM
As of now I plan on making a career out of the Marine Corps, right now the plan is to do my enlistment then apply for MECEP, but I would also be happy as a SgtMaj down the road but things might change so...We'll see.

Anding
05-05-08, 05:21 PM
theyll have to kick me out.

JSam
05-05-08, 06:43 PM

Let's hope that doesn't happen...

KevinR90
05-05-08, 07:56 PM

Some people I hear are like this though, they don't want to leave the Marine Corps.

JSam
05-05-08, 08:01 PM
Of course, but he hasn't even made it through boot yet. And he hasn't been sent to the Sandbox. You can think you're ready all you want, but until you really experience it...

KevinR90
05-05-08, 09:09 PM
Yeah that's true, but i give him points for being moto'd.

JSam
05-05-08, 09:22 PM
Well, that's true. Confidence is key...

Anding
05-05-08, 09:28 PM
WSell i havent gone through boot yet. But i cant think of anything else i would rather do. My dad is a retired Marine as well. So i somewhat know what im getting myself into, even tho times have changed.

jungholee90
05-05-08, 09:32 PM
I'll never know until I become one, but 4 years go by quickly, so I would want to stay in for another 4 years and see from there.

JoeInVille
05-05-08, 09:54 PM
I may end up trying to be a Mustang but that is far down the road. Im just focusing on Boot Camp hah.