PDA

View Full Version : Pool Function

Future93
05-03-08, 06:10 PM
I am going to my first pool function next Saturday and the recruiter said we are going on a "moto run." How long are those usually? Can anyone tell me what to expect at a pool function, especially if anyone went to one before they were actually a poolee.
Thanks,
James Hinman

Marine84
05-03-08, 06:25 PM
He's not gonna tell you until you're done. Get used to it - there are a lot of things you won't find out ahead of time. Just be prepared to run.

egbutler1
05-03-08, 06:26 PM
Moto runs i went on where only about 4 miles. The one i did in the DEP was about 4.5.

NeedSomePT
05-03-08, 06:46 PM
Last month we went on a run at the start of the function. I checked later on google earth and it was only about 1.5 miles or something like that.

DGardner
05-03-08, 08:12 PM
You'll figure it out once you get there.
It doesn't matter how long they are. The longer the better. Each mile you run just makes you stronger.

Twitchell
05-03-08, 08:29 PM
I went to 7 pool functions before I DEP'ed in. It does'nt matter if your a poolee or not. It's the same for every body. I went to 9 pool functions before boot, but I was only a poolee for 1 1/2 months before I shiped out. If not anything, it will show your persistance, and dedication to your recruiters.
Just run hard....

KevinR90
05-03-08, 08:43 PM
I think moto runs are better than running an IST or PFT. I'll venture further to say they can even be fun....

Phantom Blooper
05-03-08, 08:50 PM
My pool function is...BEER....Tanning oil,lounge chairs,boogie board,towel, sunglasses and BEER!:beer:

And I never went to a Poolee Function. Never knew what a poolee was until I came on this site!:evilgrin:

Twitchell
05-03-08, 08:57 PM
My pool function is...BEER....Tanning oil,lounge chairs,boogie board,towel, sunglasses and BEER!:beer:

LOL, I hear ya Staff Sergeant. I still have pool functions like that. Minus the boogie board, I'm a desert rat.

Miller816
05-04-08, 12:02 PM
Pool functions are always different according to your RSS. At my station we have ones every Tuesday night just with the poolees in the immediate area of our station which is around ten or so. We always do pull ups and are tested on Marine Corps knowledge such as rank structure, general orders, etc. Sometimes we will run sprints or practice close order drill.

One Saturday every month we have meetings that include everyone from our station which is about 30-40 poolees. It is usually more of the same stuff at these meetings, just a bit more intensified and on a larger scale.

And every once in a while, we will have a very big monthly meeting like the one I just got back from yesterday. We went on an overnight with all of the RSS's from the capital region of New York State. This was about 300 to 500 poolees. Drill instructors straight from Parris Island came up and our recruiters handed us off to them for two days. Basically this was sort of a mini-bootcamp meant to show everyone what it is really like. There was a lot of PT, a lot of close order drill, not much time for sleep or food. My voice is nearly gone as I write this from all the "yes sirs" and "aye sirs." It was an experience to say the least. The best part was the athletic competition between all the stations. My station: RSS Saratoga took home the trophy over the other nine or ten stations that were competing.

Just remember that the pool functions are there to help you get ready for bootcamp. Go to as many as you can. I have learned a heck of a lot since I entered the DEP last October.

raulg
05-04-08, 01:29 PM
Ive gone to 3 pool functions and still going....

For us here in L.A. or atleast my part of L.A....

we go every saturday and when we get there theres like 20 other poolies and we usually stretch, run somewhere, exercise at the place we run too, then we play a sport and then we run back to the station...

I remember the first poolie function I went to...my recruiter was like "your lucky because this week were going to the beach".

Im all happy thinking were just going to go swimming and everybody brought food and grills and chips...

when we get there we did a bunch of exercise then we had to run on the beach for a mile or something then we came back and did some more exercises....

Man i was dead that day...when we finished i thought i was going to trow up but i didnt. Then after like 10 minutes of me thinking i was going to throw up i finally decided to eat. :bunny:

Then every week after that, i thought it was easier then the beach day we went.

Twitchell
05-04-08, 02:01 PM
We would usually go and PT at least once a week with our recruiters, but me and my brother would usually go hang out at the office about every day. Our pool functions every month though, were usually pretty cool. I got to go to Hill Air Force Base and do the obstacle course, and the gas chamber. We also went to Camp Williams and repeled, and did the ISMIT. And another time we did about a 5-6 mile hump up to Mt. Timpanogus Cave. So they were usually pretty cool, but it depends on whats in your area. All of these things were within about 75 miles of our substation.

dtsetzer
05-04-08, 08:55 PM
At our monthly Poolee functions we typically run the IST first thing to check where everyone's at. Last one we had the SgtMaj motivating us on the run, which was incredibly cool. After we run the IST it's whatever our recruiters want to do to us. We usually pt for a few solid hours, at the last one we 'built a house', which was fun. Like the others have said before me, it will vary depending on the recruiters, however, expect PT, expect to get yelled at and put out everything you've got an more. It may seem trivial since it's not boot camp and it's your recruiters, but they aren't afraid to IT you. It should be a fun experience, I love it, nothing like running around and sounding off for a few hours!

-Poolee Setzer

bbond007
05-05-08, 05:18 PM
My last function was 5k.."3.2"miles. it was nuttin me and my buddy was the Guide. I had fun, Weve got state wide this weekend i can not wait all though i really don't no what we will be doing but im ready. :)