PDA

View Full Version : MEPs not as bad as I thought

AustinOverton
05-03-08, 05:45 PM
I went down to MEPs Thursday 20080501 to take the ASVAB which took me about an hour and 40 mins to 2 hours tops. Then I got to stay at a really nice hotel and have a great meal that night for free, the next day I woke up at 400 took a shower, got ready, relaxed, then went to breakfast at 500. It was just my recruiter and I since I didn't have the proper last minute medical forms on Wednesday 20080430, so he drove me about 5 mins away to the Miami MEPs where it took maybe 20 mins to get in an get to waiting.

Surprisingly there wasn't as many people as I thought there would be, which is probably why it wasn't so bad, but the building had all kinds of things such as TVs, Games, Pool, and magazines. I got to the medical exams in about an hour and started filling out paper work and answering some simple questions to make sure everything I put down was truthful. There were maybe 15 other people getting their medical exams so each process took maybe half an hour. I was eventually done with medical in about 3 hours time at the time I was told to go downstairs to the control desk.

At the control desk they check everything, get it logged, and send me to the Marine Corps office to have papers signed then told to head back to the control desk. Control told me to wait for a bit and my named would be called to to answer more questions to make sure I was telling the truth and then sent back to the USMC office with more paper work. Then, I believe it was the Master Gunnery Sergeant, interviewed me about my medical history again to verify that I was being truthful and gave me the OK along with verifying my high school, GED, college transcripts, ship date, enlistment period, pay grade, ect. Then I was sent back to the control desk and was told to wait, a few mins later I was called into another room.

This lady presented me my contract and all the information that was listed on it, asking me to confirm everything was correct. I then signed a few forms, had my finger prints taken, then was told to wait for the swearing in ceremony and final contract signing. This was the longest wait, about 3 hours, while everyone else was getting processed. I was able to easily pass the time by meeting all the Marine wannabes and other people joining other services. We played some chess and an America's Army arcade shooter until finally about 7 names were called into ceremony in which my name was one of them.

The whole ceremony took about 20 mins and most of it was just being reminded that fraudulent enlistment was very very bad and waiting for an officer to come and have us recite the oath. After that I met up with my recruiter and headed back home. Overall it wasn't that bad taking only about 10 hours an I was even registered at a higher pay grade, which I wasn't expecting.

DGardner
05-03-08, 08:09 PM
Well Congratulations. Your an official Poolee in the United States Marine Corps.

We have Poolee/Wannabe chat's every Sunday and Thursday from 2100-2300 Eastern. Stop by. We usually have trivia going on and sometimes a Q&A with the Marines.

KevinR90
05-03-08, 08:42 PM
I love the parts about going between the Liason office and the front desk several times- and being told to wait several times. Same for me too.

jinelson
05-03-08, 09:28 PM
Congratulations Poolee!

Jim

Spears
05-03-08, 11:12 PM
My least favorite part about meps was the waiting, gives you a head start on the "hurry up and wait" motto though.

Darrell B
05-03-08, 11:31 PM
I loved my visit to MEPS hehe. My MEPS experience was great, the only thing that sucked was the waiting. Nothin like a bunch of Marine Corps pooles being loud as hell and getting cut down by there fellow female pooles.

Marine84
05-04-08, 03:01 AM
I loved my visit to MEPS hehe. My MEPS experience was great, the only thing that sucked was the waiting. Nothin like a bunch of Marine Corps pooles being loud as hell and getting cut down by there fellow female pooles.

LOL! Real test comes when you have to wait and keep your trap shut.

Donut Brigade
05-04-08, 08:07 AM
I rolled my eyes at one of the employees at MEPS when he messed up my last name. He didn't like me.

Discuss.

Mindgame
05-04-08, 08:44 AM
I rolled my eyes at one of the employees at MEPS when he messed up my last name. He didn't like me.

Discuss.

I dare you to try that with a Drill Instructor. Better yet. Not just any Drill Instructor... Your Senior Drill Instructor... ;)

AustinOverton
05-04-08, 05:57 PM
Well Congratulations. Your an official Poolee in the United States Marine Corps.

We have Poolee/Wannabe chat's every Sunday and Thursday from 2100-2300 Eastern. Stop by. We usually have trivia going on and sometimes a Q&A with the Marines.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out... heck I might even pop in tonight!

Congratulations Poolee!

Jim

Thank you sir, I cannot wait to earn the title of Marine and be able to be called your brother.

AustinOverton
05-04-08, 06:00 PM
I'm sure MEPs would of been a lot "longer" of an experience if 1) there were more DEPers, 2) there were no extras like TV, magazines, games, ect, and 3) we were not permitted to talk!

Just gotta wait until 20081103 until I can head up to PI, unless I feel I am ready sooner and a spot opens up to ship.

TheAngryGorilla
05-04-08, 10:09 PM
Ha, you sure got lucky and MEPs. I had almost everything was just missing Ed-Ver and my recruiter told me not to worry and he'd have it down there by noon. My whole stay at MEPs should've been 8 hours tops; I was surprised that I was done by 1200 since all the other poolees told me to expect to leave by 1500 if I was lucky. I waited an extra SIX hours because the registrar at my high school didn't want to give MEPs my Ed-Verification because they weren't sure about my case.

shpdt080701
05-04-08, 10:19 PM
One thing you will think about furing early first phase when you go through the 'why the hell did I do this?' thing...is "wow...the nice hotel, and all the nice stuff seems kinda like they were buttering me up".

Haha but don't worry. Just remember why you are there and how bad you want it.

Dan

Donut Brigade
05-04-08, 10:57 PM
I got that feeling when I was waiting in the flag room for the colonel to swear us in, and the MEPS janitor yelled at us and told us to shut up. There we two people in the room.

phantasm
05-05-08, 10:22 AM
I've never liked MEPs and I've been twice so far and going back a third time more than likely. I don't know what it is about the place, I just don't like it.

AL49BGN
05-05-08, 11:10 AM
Good Luck Poolee.Get Use To Hurrying Up And Waiting.Welcome Aboard!

AustinOverton
05-05-08, 01:00 PM
Good Luck Poolee.Get Use To Hurrying Up And Waiting.Welcome Aboard!

Thank you sir, I appreciate hearing that from Marines.

Anding
05-05-08, 05:59 PM
Good luck man. I didnt mind MEPS much either. I was the only Marine Poolee. Thought that was kinda cool. Expected though for living in an air force town.

PriestDaBeast
05-05-08, 06:34 PM
MEPS was pretty easy for me too. Only me and one other guy were joining the Marines, everyone else seemed to be joining the Navy. I got their at 0700 and left by 1400. Hardest part was the four hour wait after the medical.

Donut Brigade
05-05-08, 06:51 PM
Navy? I would swear 4/5 were going Guard at MEPS salt lake.