PDA

View Full Version : Backing out of DEP

VIKDEM1ZE
05-02-08, 09:27 PM
I signed my stuff, got in the DEP program a couple weeks ago, but decided I'm just going to finish College first before the Corps. It's possible to still back out at this point, right?

Marine84
05-02-08, 09:31 PM
ROTFLMFAO!!!!! Doofus, what did you sign a contract for if you weren't going to honor it? Did your nuts draw up when you sobered up and realized what you had done or did the girlfriend come around?

VIKDEM1ZE
05-02-08, 09:33 PM
ROTFLMFAO!!!!! Doofus, what did you sign a contract for if you weren't going to honor it? Did your nuts draw up when you sobered up and realized what you had done or did the girlfriend come around?
I'm glad to see Marines are nice about the subject. I can't just finish my last 2 years of College first before joining? I didn't think I would get accepted into USC, so I decided to join and hopefully have a shot at USC while in. I'm sorry if College is not important for you at all. People like you make me want to join even less. This is my life, honoring the contract or not, it should be my choice.

Marine84
05-02-08, 09:34 PM
I did college BEFORE I signed anything.

Big Jim
05-02-08, 09:37 PM
I'm glad to see Marines are nice about the subject. I can't just finish my last 2 years of College first before joining? I didn't think I would get accepted into USC, so I decided to join and hopefully have a shot at USC while in. I'm sorry if College is not important for you at all. People like you make me want to join even less. This is my life, honoring the contract or not, it should be my choice.

Then you shouldn't have signed the frikkin contract!!! End of story! I've got my Master's degree AFTER the Marine Corps...so don't think for a nano-second that we don't believe college is unimportant! Being disrespectful AND dishonorable is a bad combination!!

VIKDEM1ZE
05-02-08, 09:37 PM
I did college BEFORE I signed anything.
Then maybe you should understand. I went to Community College, and have a chance to go to the University I've been wanting to attend for awhile now. I see no problem delaying my entrance into the Corps. for another two years.

I'm guessing I can.

Big Jim
05-02-08, 09:41 PM
Then maybe you should understand. I went to Community College, and have a chance to go to the University I've been wanting to attend for awhile now. I see no problem delaying my entrance into the Corps. for another two years.

I'm guessing I can.

The only way you'll find out is if you talk to your recruiter...who I can say with ALL honesty, is going to have the same reaction we had!! So, good luck...hope he understands!!

VIKDEM1ZE
05-02-08, 09:44 PM
Maybe I'll do reserves once I get settled down in California, go active when I'm finished. That will be a good idea.

Big Jim
05-02-08, 09:53 PM
Maybe I'll do reserves once I get settled down in California, go active when I'm finished. That will be a good idea.

It all depends on what your recruiter says you can do and how this situation is going to be handled. If you already signed your contract for certain stipulations, you might not be able to back out.

Marine84
05-02-08, 09:54 PM
No I don't understand.

I wasn't trying to get into college and when it didn't happen fast enough for me figured I would go sign myself up with the Government only to back out when the school came through.

If you can take the ribbing everyone will give you.....................

Marine84
05-02-08, 09:56 PM
ROTFLMFAO AGAIN! And your occupation now is BEING HANDSOME? What's the matter, you scared to mess that pretty face up?

jinelson
05-02-08, 10:12 PM
As you were Kim! This little mama's boy wouldnt make a pimple on a recruits ass.

Jim

Ub3rmike
05-02-08, 10:18 PM
If college was going to be in your sights, you should've pursued the 92 day contract. Obviously there still might be the slight chance that they deploy you, and there is the stipulatio that if you...

fs19
05-02-08, 10:56 PM
. I see no problem delaying my entrance into the Corps. for another two years.

I'm guessing I can.
The problem is that you signed the contract, you gave your word, you made an owth, you made a COMMITMENT. Instead of delaying the Marine Corps for two years, maybe you should consider delaying college for four...

jinelson
05-02-08, 11:00 PM
Well said Poolee Dyer well said indeed.

Jim

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-08, 11:08 PM
You are a total waste of skin. If your word means nothing to you (and by backing out of a legal contract that is exactly what you're telling the world) then you don't belong in my Marine Corps. You don't have the integrity to make it as a Marine. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

But, you did ask a question, so I'll answer it. Yes, you can still get out of your contract. But you will not be accepted at a later date. You signed the contract, so you can either man up or spend a life time wishing you had. USC will be there after the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps won't be there for you after USC.

Marine84
05-02-08, 11:47 PM
People like you make me want to join even less.

Let me see if I can give you a few more reasons.....................

Better you DO want to drop now. If they DO take you, they should send you through 4th BN at Parris Island - I hear they are THE baddest a$$ BN to come off the Island!

Look, bottom line is you CAN back out but, it ain't cool. It IS your life but, YOU signed on the dotted line. NOBODY twisted your arm and made you do it. It will be harder to do it again if you back out once.

Kids, joining the Marine Corps IS REALLY a commitment. If you're AD, you live it, breathe it, sweat it, bleed it and shed it like tears 24/7/365. You're told to jump, you don't even ask how high, you jump high as you can the FIRST time. If you think for one minute that ANYTHING can come before the commitment that you MUST make to the Corps (and that includes an education), you're kidding yourselves.

Since you HAVE signed the paperwork and you don't have the Honor or the Courage to make the Commitment, I would rather you go to school too. There will be better men and WOMEN that will step up to protect your freedoms.

dtsetzer
05-02-08, 11:58 PM
If you got accepted to USC once, you're most certainly good enough to get accepted again. As a fellow Poolee, I don't understand how you can go through MEPS, talk to a recruiter, make a decision that you KNEW would be life changing, and on top of that you followed it up by taking an Oath to protect your country. When I did all of that I felt a deep sense of pride, and priveleged that I was medically and otherwise fit for military service. It sounds to me as though you took it as something you could just do, something to kill time until you got accepted. Second best if you will.

If your ship date is coming soon, do you have the jitters? I'm being serious here, if USC is just a reason your giving yourself because you're second guessing yourself, don't listen to it. I'm sure all the Poolees here have had second thoughts, or gotten jittery. I'm not ashamed to admit I have, but I sure as hell would be had I backed out of something that I believe I need to do for myself and my country. Just my two cents, whatever you decide, good luck to you.

-Poolee Setzer

kbs95125
05-03-08, 12:00 AM
Wow, even the Poolees got some...

How does it feel VIKDEM1ZE? Poolees who are actually going to uphold their end of the deal telling you how it is?

Creative too... VIKDEM1ZE... victimize....

I'd tell you to go Army, but they don't even deserve to deal with trash like you.

Donut Brigade
05-03-08, 12:13 AM
It looks like the Corps was a fall-back last resort kind of deal for you; well if you're ever gonna go it's going to be one hell of a rude awakening.

egbutler1
05-03-08, 01:14 AM
There was a guy in my HS who joined up 2 years before me, got to MEPS 2 days before his ship date, called his momma and backed out. Than decided to go back into the Marines and did the same thing again. So yeah you can get out of it, but I don't want to hear about it. The day the Corps took me was one of the proudest moments of my life at that point. I don't have words to explain how I feel about your situation. U Signed The MotherFu#king Contract (USMC) so own up or never consider ever coming back in, cause I don't think I would want someone who's mind can change so easily, or who's first priority wasn't the Corps in a fighting hole with me. :mad:

Reagan
05-03-08, 05:10 AM
I know so many people who'd give everything they had just to have a shot at becoming a Marine. Don't throw this opportunity away dude.

SgtHopperUSMC
05-03-08, 05:12 AM
They wont like it but I believe you can get out of it. You have not been sworn it yet correct?

ttracker65
05-03-08, 05:23 AM
Marines it is all good. I do not want my Brothers and Sisters back to be watched by such. Son you go right ahead and do what you feel you need to do. I joined because I refused to see my Brothers and Sisters go it alone. It is apearent that you have another agenda and that is great by me. But Please when you feel you must join a service pick the Army, They got a place just for you and Realy you will fit in nicely. Just my two bit's worth.......Oh it must suck when Poolees of a younger age than your self know what the word commitment is. Maybe some time blow the dust off your websters and check it. GO ARMY!

Wyoming
05-03-08, 09:03 AM
Hometown - Bay Area California
Occupation - Being Handsome

Look kid, GO ARMY, BUT, 'Don't tell .........'.

Look, even iffen you made it into the 4th BN, methinks you would wash out.

Marine84
05-03-08, 09:13 AM
Look, even iffen you made it into the 4th BN, methinks you would wash out.

FINALLY somebody noticed! LOL! :banana:

ttracker65
05-03-08, 10:08 AM
Kim we notice. But some one has to stay home to do the cookin why not this kid. Besides he would give 4th a bad name for being to rough on him.

BR34
05-03-08, 11:12 AM
If you're AD, you live it, breathe it, sweat it, bleed it and shed it like tears 24/7/365. You're told to jump, you don't even ask how high, you jump high as you can the FIRST time.
Too too true. Take us to church Kim! Preach on!

bbond007
05-03-08, 11:40 AM
LOL VIKDEM1ZE ur funny all i can say it read my quote..haha ur funny. Ive got 2 years of college ive got associates degree in Criminal Justice. and im 20 and i leave now in july so..that bull you can still go to school in the Marine Corp.

(http://member.php?u=51359)

darkgreen0311
05-03-08, 11:46 AM
Dude has no intergrity or honor some of the principles that the Corps teaches. You need to change your poolee name to wishy-washy you can go to College even while in the Corps. It can be hard but it can be accomplished and if you're having last minutes butterflies we all had them. A real Woman and a real Man sucks that sh*t up and moves on.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

BR34
05-03-08, 11:50 AM
the Marine Corp.

(http://member.php?u=51359)

Marine Corporation?

What's that?

bbond007
05-03-08, 11:55 AM
Sorry Sir I messed it up, MARINE CORPS. Was in a hurry im working right now lol, and the police want to pull everybody over.

Smitty Puffs
05-03-08, 01:58 PM
I dont think crushing the kids spirits altogether is entirely necessary. He asked a legitimate question, didnt disrespect anyone, and everyone jumps on the bashing bandwagon. Sure, he's going back on a committment. Thats something he's gotta deal with, its not like he's backing out completely. He still has the desire to be a Marine, an educated one at that.

bbond007
05-03-08, 02:16 PM
People like you make me want to join even less. . So if he can't take people bashing him on the computer how will he do when he is at PI or SD??? Grow up man .. He backed out for what ever reasons he did, he still backed out.. He could have easliy got his two year while in.. Thats what i plan to do. Ive got my 2 year right now and i lack another 2 but i will get it while im in and im not backing out.. Your not his dad are ya?? lets him take what he gets, he put is own self in this, in the first place.. And he didn't disrespect anyone?? Im not a marine but i leave in july .. and if i back out i liked when i swore in at meps don't you think that the MARINES in this forum would take offense?? Im a Poolee and it offensed me..

SGT7477
05-03-08, 02:20 PM
I signed my stuff, got in the DEP program a couple weeks ago, but decided I'm just going to finish College first before the Corps. It's possible to still back out at this point, right?
We don't need your kind in our beloved Corps go army.:evilgrin:

bbond007
05-03-08, 02:25 PM
and if i back out i liked when i swore in at meps don't you think that the MARINES in this forum would take offense?? Im a Poolee and it offensed me..

I MEANT TO SAY "IF I BACK OUT I LIED" had to clear that up.

raulg
05-03-08, 02:29 PM
yeah man...me as a poolie, ive been thinking about the exact same thing...

My whole family including former Marines and Soldiers family members are telling me I should finish school first...atleast get my AA degree.

They say dont start something your not going to finish. I started College and about to finish my first full year and they say i should just do the last year in college and then decide weather I still want to join the Marines.

But lately Ive been sort of feeling like not joining because when i hear from Marines and recruiters.....

It seems like the recruiters are just going to screw me over and I am always hearing about Marines who regret their decision of joining and wish they would have stayed in school.

I still dont know what I am going to do. Im supposed to ship in a month but im not sure if I am.

SGT7477
05-03-08, 02:31 PM

My whole family including former Marines and Soldiers family members are telling me I should finish school first...atleast get my AA degree.

They say dont start something your not going to finish. I started College and about to finish my first full year and they say i should just do the last year in college and then decide weather I still want to join the Marines.

But lately Ive been sort of feeling like not joining because when i hear from Marines and recruiters.....

It seems like the recruiters are just going to screw me over and I am always hearing about Marines who regret their decision of joining and wish they would have stayed in school.

I still dont know what I am going to do. Im supposed to ship in a month but im not sure if I am.
Sounds like you would be better off in the army.:flag:

Smitty Puffs
05-03-08, 02:35 PM
So if he can't take people bashing him on the computer how will he do when he is at PI or SD??? Grow up man .. He backed out for what ever reasons he did, he still backed out.. He could have easliy got his two year while in.. Thats what i plan to do. Ive got my 2 year right now and i lack another 2 but i will get it while im in and im not backing out.. Your not his dad are ya?? lets him take what he gets, he put is own self in this, in the first place.. And he didn't disrespect anyone?? Im not a marine but i leave in july .. and if i back out i liked when i swore in at meps don't you think that the MARINES in this forum would take offense?? Im a Poolee and it offensed me..
I see a guy getting picked on who didnt pick a fight in the first place then ill stick up for him, any day of the week. This is an informative website, its not boot camp. I understand what the kid did was wrong and of poor choice and character. But thats his problem. It's one of those things that he's gonna have to figure out for himself. There's no way a DI is gonna come to his house on a personal appointment to kick some committment into his ass. He's not making the kind of bad decisions that are going to get people killed, so there stands really no point in malking him. And i dont think a "typing" thrashing by some poolees (or really anyone for that matter) is gonna kick his ass into gear. And if it needs pointing out, my original post wasnt directed at the Marines, it was mainly to my fellow poolees who jumped in on the matter.

bbond007
05-03-08, 02:42 PM
Sounds like you would be better off in the army.:flag:

SGT, I agree 110%..

BR34
05-03-08, 02:49 PM
I see a guy getting picked on who didnt pick a fight in the first place then ill stick up for him, any day of the week. This is an informative website, its not boot camp. I understand what the kid did was wrong and of poor choice and character. But thats his problem. It's one of those things that he's gonna have to figure out for himself. There's no way a DI is gonna come to his house on a personal appointment to kick some committment into his ass. He's not making the kind of bad decisions that are going to get people killed, so there stands really no point in malking him. And i dont think a "typing" thrashing by some poolees (or really anyone for that matter) is gonna kick his ass into gear. And if it needs pointing out, my original post wasnt directed at the Marines, it was mainly to my fellow poolees who jumped in on the matter.
I think you should stand down, while you have a chance. Learn how to pick your battles. This ain't your fight.

bbond007
05-03-08, 02:51 PM

Did you read what i wrote at all? lol

raulg
05-03-08, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you would be better off in the army.images/smilies/flag.gif
maybe. Ive been thinking about joining the Army also. But I might just stay in school for now.

Smitty Puffs
05-03-08, 03:01 PM
Understood sir, will do.

And Yes, bond, I did. And I think i thoroughly answered you.

Big Jim
05-03-08, 03:09 PM

The Marine Corps is about honor and it begins with honoring your contract. If you're worried about other people "hurting your feelings", then you really don't belong anywhere near our beloved Corps because if what this fine Marine said scared you, boy....maybe mama will keep those apron strings wrapped around you! I was thinking that maybe you had a legitmate reason for not honoring your contract but now I just see a scared little girl who I wouldn't want in ANY combat situation not with me or anyone!! Go back to carrying your flag in your gay pride parade! You shouldn't have signed any contract at all...I know and so does everyone else here, that you can't honor anything!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-03-08, 03:12 PM
I dont think crushing the kids spirits altogether is entirely necessary.

Then you're wrong. That's why you don't get paid to think.

Honestly, any of you sissies that want to back out, do it. We don't need you and we don't want you. A Marine that is unhappy and doesn't want to be there will only cause problems for his platoon. Morale will be lower because of you and your platoon will be less effective. As a recruit it won't matter, as a Marine it will. So go be a college student and do nothing special with your life. Not everyone has what it takes to be a Marine- apparently you do not.

bbond007
05-03-08, 03:13 PM
maybe. Ive been thinking about joining the Army also. But I might just stay in school for now.
hahaha Your COOL!!!

JoeInVille
05-03-08, 03:34 PM

The Gunny who heads my station and my recruiter would never screw me over and I doubt any Marine recruiter would. They wont screw you over, everyone enlisting now is enlisting during war time. If we get involved in another conflict, just like what happened in Iraq, im sure many people will be moved around in the Corps to fill positions they need. You are told that when you enlist and I personally trust my recruiters very much. The road to becoming a Marine is hard road and im sure it is even harder when your in. Dunno what to say if they regretted their decision to enlist...

SGT7477
05-03-08, 04:17 PM
One thing I can't understand they start a post that is negative and we are not suppose to rain on their parade,lol.

AustinOverton
05-03-08, 05:09 PM

Your choice was to sign the contract. You can back out sure, but you won't be coming back, and it will definitely hurt you in the future.

Marine84
05-03-08, 06:47 PM
I see smitty wants some love from us Marines too!

Rasczak
05-03-08, 07:08 PM
You know, I've been reading through this thread, and have been wanting to reply to the 2 guys that are considering backing out of their contracts, but I don't think I will.
The only thing I will say is, that one guy is right. Once you start something, you should finish it. There isn't any rule on how long it may take you to do it.