PDA

View Full Version : Question

Warlord787
05-02-08, 04:38 PM
"Well yes, I've enlisted into the Marines today and they got me setup for CJ or Logistics. Now I wanna know what does a Logistics Marine do? Will I see combat? Will I be doing my job mostly on base? I would just like to know what I might be doing with the CJ job. Thank you for your time and your open ears. And Once I get though boot camp I'll know the meaning of Semper Fi"

-Terry Clayton II
USMC Poolee

:flag:

Thank you for answering my questions.

rvillac2
05-02-08, 05:26 PM
&quot;You seen much combat?&quot; <br />
<br />
&quot;I seen a little bit on tv, ah wah hah.&quot; <br />
<br />
Your profile says you're a warehouse worker. You'll be doing the same thing in the Corps. : ) <br />
<br />
You'll be in charge of the...

Warlord787
05-02-08, 06:22 PM
Ok I got another Question if possible.

The IST what if I don't pass it before I go to Bootcamp?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-08, 06:26 PM
They aren't supposed to let you ship if you cannot pass the IST. But, they probably will. Then if you fail it at boot camp get ready for PCP.

Warlord787
05-02-08, 06:36 PM
Ok what will PCP Do for me and what if I Don't make weight? Sorry I'm just getting everything cleared up.

Marine84
05-02-08, 06:48 PM
PCP ain't fun - whatever you're bad at on that PT test is what you get worked to death to be better at. Meet all your requirements BEFORE you go. Failure when you get there is NOT an option.

Warlord787
05-02-08, 07:21 PM
Hoorah Ma'am I will be ready I will pass PCP will have nothing on me.

AustinOverton
05-02-08, 07:44 PM
Hoorah Ma'am I will be ready I will pass PCP will have nothing on me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we have earned the right to say "OORAH" quite yet, wait until after boot.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048
*check rule 6

KevinR90
05-02-08, 08:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we have earned the right to say "OORAH" quite yet, wait until after boot.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048
*check rule 6

Good catch. Oh and Warlord, don't forget punctuation. Don't think we're saying these things just to lord it over you, I'd rather be told by a fellow poolee than by a Marine- especially on the serious stuff.:D

Big Jim
05-02-08, 08:42 PM
Good catch. Oh and Warlord, don't forget punctuation. Don't think we're saying these things just to lord it over you, I'd rather be told by a fellow poolee than by a Marine- especially on the serious stuff.:D

What...?! Why would you rather be told by a fellow Poolie than a Marine?? The Marine is trying to teach and instruct you the CORRECT way of conduct and problem solving as well as teaching you what NOT to do again. Your fellow poolies are in the same boat you are...not knowing a whole lot but willing to learn. So, tell me why...

KevinR90
05-02-08, 08:57 PM
In terms of things you should already know- like certain rules on these forums. If a poolee lets you know before hand, you have a chance to correct it with no one the wiser. Otherwise, you'd probably get chewed out and have everyone thinking you're a fool. Not necessarily, but in general.

In terms of things such as what are boot camp and the FMF going to be like, yes I'd rather listen to a Marine, but for simple idiotic actions, better to be told by another poolee.

Though I do have to mention being corrected by a Marine gives you a better chance of the action not taking place again. Let me give another smiley: :D

Big Jim
05-02-08, 09:17 PM
In terms of things you should already know- like certain rules on these forums. If a poolee lets you know before hand, you have a chance to correct it with no one the wiser. Otherwise, you'd probably get chewed out and have everyone thinking you're a fool. Not necessarily, but in general.

In terms of things such as what are boot camp and the FMF going to be like, yes I'd rather listen to a Marine, but for simple idiotic actions, better to be told by another poolee.

Though I do have to mention being corrected by a Marine gives you a better chance of the action not taking place again. Let me give another smiley: :D

Look here Kevin...I'm more than twice your age...I have a daughter who's older than you. For a 17 year old boy who's telling an experienced Marine what they should and should not know is just asking for an azz-chewing, wouldn't you agree? I'll let that one go because I think you have the totally wrong idea here about whats important and whats not important. especially about what YOU think I should know!!

It's no shame not to know something and ask someone...preferrably a Marine who knows the answer you need...what IS a shame is to fake as if you DO know the information you don't and end up asking someone who's in the same dark as you are, understand? What all, I should say most, of us are doing on this site is passing on some very pertinent information that you can't find in any books or anywhere else but from Marines! But as far as what you think I, or we, should know is not up to you to tell any Marine. I know damn-well I know ALL I should, ok?

I also know you misunderstood what I was asking...maybe if I asked whether or not you were AFRAID to ask a Marine for fear of an azz-chewing, that would've been more accurate. I know and realize being 17 is an age where you honestly believe that you have a firm grasp on the understanding of things...but trust me, you don't. I was there once.

I think the best advice I can give you is to try and not be afraid when you need to know something...important or not, because what you think is unimportant may very well might be impotant in ANY situation, understand? So, its always best to brave the azz-chewing and ask your question. You'll hear this many times as you go forward in the Marine Corps; "The only stupid question is the question not asked." I hope this clears things up as to what you think I should know because, as a matter of fact, I already do.

KevinR90
05-02-08, 09:40 PM
Aye Sir.

The only thing I have to say is that I was not telling you in that comment what you should know, i meant in general: "In terms of things you should already know" was meant as for anyone who should already know rules of the forums, but needs a reminder. Sorry if it came out in the wrong way.

The example that comes to my mind is: If you start a job at a grocery store, and you've had your training, but you forget how to do something, personally, i'd rather ask another regular employee who knows than chasing down the Manager, taking his/her time, and making it seem as if I can't operate without someone holding my hand.

Just to state again, i was not saying what I thought you should know sir. Sorry about that.

I'm not really afraid to ask a Marine a question. I've done that before, and i've done things that my recruiter chews me out for. What i'm getting at is that If another poolee knows the answer to something, why waste my recruiter's time. And if no one knows the answer, then I'll ask my recruiter.

Actually same thing happens in my classes at school. I have a problem with say, math. I turn first to the person next to me because they might be able to solve my problem without me having to disrupt the class, or take the instructor away from explaining something to another person. If they can't help me, well then I call the instructor over, and if the person next to me couldn't help because they didn't understand it either- i just did them a favor. Though I realize sometimes it's just better to ask the instructor right away- a lot of times it's unnecessary.

If a poolee can help me, i'll accept the help, if not i'll ask a Marine.
Sorry for misunderstanding too.

Big Jim
05-02-08, 09:48 PM
No need to be sorry...just learn...and learn this if you learn anything...asking another Poolie or another person as to what YOU need to know is NOT recommended, its a bad habit! This type of behavior will get people hurt or worse when you're in the FMF. You absolutely need to have a firm grasp of understanding of whats going on from the people telling you what you need to do!!! Nothing else...no asking someone who heard it and you didn't! There's no excuse why you didn't hear it the first time and learn it...this will also be tested of you as to how well you can understand directions and orders the very first time they're given to you. So learn that now! Understand?

Marine84
05-02-08, 09:49 PM
I was there once.

And passed it several more times in his travels - LOL! ;)

KevinR90
05-02-08, 09:55 PM
Yes Sir.
That's why The Marine Corps is such a good choice for me. Learn how to do things the right way the first time- and get strong doing it.

I can see how this would turn out in Boot camp though. If I didn't hear something, I'd be tempted to ask another recruit what a Drill Instructor said as opposed to asking the DI himself because I don't want to stick out. I understand what you're saying.

This is what I meant by saying "Though I do have to mention being corrected by a Marine gives you a better chance of the action not taking place again. Let me give another smiley: images/smilies/biggrin.gif"

Because I won't forget what you've told me here- as opposed to a poolee telling me this. I'll remember better what to do the next time around.

Oh, and If i am in boot camp and I didn't hear was a DI said, what do I do?

Marine84
05-02-08, 09:58 PM
"You seen much combat?"

"I seen a little bit on tv, ah wah hah."

You a trip - LOL!

Big Jim
05-02-08, 09:59 PM
Yes Sir.
That's why The Marine Corps is such a good choice for me. Learn how to do things the right way the first time- and get strong doing it.

I can see how this would turn out in Boot camp though. If I didn't hear something, I'd be tempted to ask another recruit what a Drill Instructor said as opposed to asking the DI himself because I don't want to stick out. I understand what you're saying.

This is what I meant by saying "Though I do have to mention being corrected by a Marine gives you a better chance of the action not taking place again. Let me give another smiley: images/smilies/biggrin.gif"

Because I won't forget what you've told me here- as opposed to a poolee telling me this. I'll remember better what to do the next time around.

Good...as long as you learned something here...no skin lost! Believe me, you won't be able to ask another recruit in bootcamp!! So, learning to listen and learn as quickly and completely as possible will greatly benefit you, not only in bootcamp but everywhere!! I'm glad you learned something...

Marine84
05-02-08, 10:01 PM
Oh, and If i am in boot camp and I didn't hear was a DI said, what do I do?

:scared: BE AFRAID!

You WILL get chewed out by SEVERAL of them at one time to make sure you HEAR them! LOL!

KevinR90
05-02-08, 10:01 PM
lol- i edited after you'd responded.
"What do I do in boot camp if I didn't hear what a DI said?"

Oh, and sorry for pretty much taking this thread way off topic.

Edit: no, i mean 1) try to follow what other recruits are doing (seems like that's exactly what you just said not to do)
2) Stand there and wait for them to get after me.

Big Jim
05-02-08, 10:04 PM
:scared: BE AFRAID!

You WILL get chewed out by SEVERAL of them at one time to make sure you HEAR them! LOL!

Well that and...then you'll learn to listen and learn what they're saying the FIRST time around...like I've been telling you!

KevinR90
05-02-08, 10:05 PM
So I guess then according to something I read on a thread on this site I should try and get a bunk right in the middle so with the DI's right in front of me I don't have to worry about not hearing them.

Big Jim
05-02-08, 10:07 PM
So I guess then according to something I read on a thread on this site I should try and get a bunk right in the middle so with the DI's right in front of me I don't have to worry about not hearing them.

You don't just walk into the squad bay and say, "I'll take this one!!" You'll be placed in the platoon according to your height and then you'll be assigned to a rack!! LOL!! This ain't the Days Inn or Motel 6!!! You'll be told what to do and how o do it and you'll learn by the numbers, ok?

KevinR90
05-02-08, 10:11 PM
Good point. Though I did get the advice from here. Maybe it's not up to date?

"6. When you first get into your squadbay, you'll most likely just pick the first open rack you see, but consider this, if you can manage to somehow maneuver and choose a rack: the DIs like to talk from the middle of the squadbay. So, if you are hard of hearing, and/or want to make sure you hear what they say, you will want to position yourself in the middle. Also consider: if you're near the rear hatch on either side, you'll be able to get out faster, but if you're near the front quarter deck, you'll be able to get in the head faster, but you'll be more visible to DI's. As far as port side vs. starboard side goes, you will always do a "wagonwheel right," so if you're on port side you're near the end of the line. This is especially important for PT showers, where everyone is SUPPOSED to walk through the showers and keep going, but some retards like to stop in the shower and hold everyone up. You'll see what I'm talking about when your DI is at 30, and you haven't even made it to the rain room yet. However, if you're on Port side, at least in my platoon, you got to shower/shave first."

It's in the recruit training survival tips thread here in the Poolee Hall.

KevinR90
05-02-08, 10:12 PM
Good point. Though I did get the advice from here. Maybe it's not up to date?

"6. When you first get into your squadbay, you'll most likely just pick the first open rack you see, but consider this, if you can manage to somehow maneuver and choose a rack: the DIs like to talk from the middle of the squadbay. So, if you are hard of hearing, and/or want to make sure you hear what they say, you will want to position yourself in the middle. Also consider: if you're near the rear hatch on either side, you'll be able to get out faster, but if you're near the front quarter deck, you'll be able to get in the head faster, but you'll be more visible to DI's. As far as port side vs. starboard side goes, you will always do a "wagonwheel right," so if you're on port side you're near the end of the line. This is especially important for PT showers, where everyone is SUPPOSED to walk through the showers and keep going, but some retards like to stop in the shower and hold everyone up. You'll see what I'm talking about when your DI is at 30, and you haven't even made it to the rain room yet. However, if you're on Port side, at least in my platoon, you got to shower/shave first."

It's in the recruit training survival tips thread here in the Poolee Hall.
Well i've got to get some sleep. Have PT tomorrow morning with my recruiter. Thanks for straigtening me out on everything. That's why I'm on this site.

KevinR90
05-02-08, 10:13 PM
and I swear to god I did not post that twice.
Edit button messes it up sometimes?

Marine84
05-02-08, 10:18 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, make sure you pick a good one now. Trust me, the ONLY way you won't hear one is if you just ain't paying attention so, make sure you PAY ATTENTION!

Marine84
05-02-08, 10:28 PM
if you can manage

I think that's your key word here

KevinR90
05-02-08, 10:31 PM
Good point. It makes it sound like it's possible though. Ok, now i'm leaving. This thread is way too far off topic and my bed is calling me.

lagrand
05-02-08, 11:07 PM
Thank you, Sergeant, for the advice. It helps us all out.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-08, 11:13 PM
I cannot imagine a time when anyone that has hearing good enough to get into the Marine Corps would ever have a hard time hearing an order given to them by a Drill Instructor. They don't tend to be coy about what they want. But, if you do miss something just roll with it. You'll get yelled at, you'll get thrashed, and then you'll go on with life. It isn't really a big deal.