PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

Covey_Rider
05-02-08, 06:52 AM
Just curious to see how you other Marines would handle this.

One of my fellow Marines has just been promoted to Cpl and is honestly being stupid in my mind. He's a squad leader, same as me. He spent his 7 months as a LCpl in as a supply NCO and hasn't done any sort of training and now has put back in the platoon for a deployment to Iraq. Now the problem that I am having with him, is that he doesn't care about his Marines. He will get done everything he needs to with them but will do nothing else to ensure that they are being taken care of. The other thing is that he will now throw his rank/billet around just because he thinks he can. Now that he's a Cpl, he doesn't take the time to actually learn his job as a squad leader...he can't even do dis/ass on crew served weapons or call in a 9 line. He has blatantly disrespected both myself and the other squad leader in front of the junior Marines and he is constantly trying to walk all over everyone. I may be in the wrong for saying this, but right now, to me, he is disgracing the rank. He wants all the privileges and more, but doesn't accept the responsibility that comes with it. I'm going insane, and so are his Marines. I would appreciate some input on different ways to go about handling this. If I am in the wrong please let me know.

MarineNCO
05-02-08, 07:17 AM
What you need to do is get the other NCOs together and sit him down for a face to face. Present your problems/observations to him and see what he says. Pull out the 14 Leadership traits as well as the NCO creed and the promotion warrant. Put it all together and let him see that what he is doing is not correct.

On the other hand I am not there. Give us some specific examples so we can better ascertain what the behavior type is and make a better judgement.

yellowwing
05-02-08, 07:18 AM
If you can see it, your SNCOs will soon see it. But I bet they are on it already.

Covey_Rider
05-02-08, 03:27 PM
One small example...Just a few days ago when he was still a LCpl. He was a squad leader at that time as well. Our new Battalion CO was checking in at the armory and right at that time I saw him "sword" fighting with a pen with one of the platoons new PFC's. I kindly told him to cut it out and all he said was "why???" And I told him that he looked like he needed to be put back in day care and I started to say something else and all he did was walk away and say "whatever." And it ****ed me off because he disrespected me directly in front of my Marines.

SGT7477
05-02-08, 04:22 PM
Just curious to see how you other Marines would handle this.

One of my fellow Marines has just been promoted to Cpl and is honestly being stupid in my mind. He's a squad leader, same as me. He spent his 7 months as a LCpl in as a supply NCO and hasn't done any sort of training and now has put back in the platoon for a deployment to Iraq. Now the problem that I am having with him, is that he doesn't care about his Marines. He will get done everything he needs to with them but will do nothing else to ensure that they are being taken care of. The other thing is that he will now throw his rank/billet around just because he thinks he can. Now that he's a Cpl, he doesn't take the time to actually learn his job as a squad leader...he can't even do dis/ass on crew served weapons or call in a 9 line. He has blatantly disrespected both myself and the other squad leader in front of the junior Marines and he is constantly trying to walk all over everyone. I may be in the wrong for saying this, but right now, to me, he is disgracing the rank. He wants all the privileges and more, but doesn't accept the responsibility that comes with it. I'm going insane, and so are his Marines. I would appreciate some input on different ways to go about handling this. If I am in the wrong please let me know.
A good old fashion arse whipping could very well solve the problem.:evilgrin:

egbutler1
05-02-08, 04:34 PM
Wow, this guy needs to be taken into a room and sat down and talked to by all NCOs. I have seen it a many of times with the new found "power" dudes lose it. Sounds to me like he has been disrespecting you long before he picked up. You should have put him in his place back than. Well best I can say is sit him down talk to him, if that doesn't work there are plenty of other alternatives but most of the time those result in trouble. Your SNCOs are right behind you maybe even ahead of you, so trust them if this doesn't get resolved take it up the chain.

Big Jim
05-02-08, 04:46 PM
These fine Marines are exactly right about when they advised you that your SNCOs are probably already on the job. But, it probably wouldn't hurt if you and a few other NCOs went to them with your concerns and try to handle the issue on an equality level, but just in case, to have them stand by. Or if it works and the guy calms down, great...if not, the SNCOs should come in and take over from there...hell, it sounds like another case of being promoted to soon!!

When I was in, to be considered for a promotion, the Marine had to already fuflling the responsibilities of the rank and job or show exemplary leadership and maturity well enough to handle the professionalism the rank requires. Sounds like this knucklehead just made the cutting score and POOF!!...instant Corporal!! What happened to all these requirements?? SOMEBODY had to recommend him!! Either way, he DOES need to checked...the sooner the better!!

SGT7477
05-02-08, 05:31 PM
Nothing that a good Sgt couldn't handle you don't need to go to a SNCO.

hrscowboy
05-02-08, 05:43 PM
We had this very same thing happen in Vietnam, what worked for us was 2 of the NCOs went to this young CPL and advised him they had more seniority and time in grade then he did and if he didnt get his crap together they would go to the staff NCOs and request office hours for conduct unbecoming of an NCO. He thought they were bullcrapin him and they done just that needless to say his arse went to see the Sgt Maj and got his arse tuned in real quick..

Big Jim
05-02-08, 06:26 PM
We had this very same thing happen in Vietnam, what worked for us was 2 of the NCOs went to this young CPL and advised him they had more seniority and time in grade then he did and if he didnt get his crap together they would go to the staff NCOs and request office hours for conduct unbecoming of an NCO. He thought they were bullcrapin him and they done just that needless to say his arse went to see the Sgt Maj and got his arse tuned in real quick..

Man...I loved the Old Corps way of handling problems!! I remember when short sh!t Gunny Gonzales kept getting mad at me for no reason what so ever! Well I done something again and he started cussing up one side and down the other. I just walked away...well, this pizzed him off to no end! He stood up, took off his cammie blouse and told me to follow him behind the shop! He started dancing around saying, "Dis how we did when I boxing, now I gonna show you, too!!" He came at me with little short jabs and I stepped back and nailed him right between the eyes and knocked his azz out! Well, the unit XO, 1st Lt. Lorkowski ,was watching the whole thing from beginning to end!! He was rolling laughing so hard and was yelling at the Gunny..."I told you one frikkin day, you won't be the one teaching the lesson!!" After the Gunny came to...he went straight back to his SNCO barracks and didn't speak to me the rest of the whole year...about 8 months!! And it was all forgotten!!! LOL!!