PDA

View Full Version : Giant Antarctic Squid Thawed Out

jetdawgg
05-02-08, 06:13 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/04/30/squid3_wideweb__470x295,4.jpg
The monster squid is thawed out in a pool of brine with the help of museum technician Mark Fenwick, Japanese scientist Tsunemi Kubodera and toxicologist Olaf Blaauw.
<SMALL>Photo: AP</SMALL>
<SMALL></SMALL>
<SMALL>http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/495kg-giant-squids-eyes-the-size-of-a-dinnerplate/2008/04/30/1209234925102.html</SMALL>

Osotogary
05-02-08, 06:52 AM
Jetdawgg-
There is an interesting video/documentary about the Sperm Whale that isput out by the BBC. Although alot of this documentary is computer generated it does show both whale and giant squid "going to it". The great whale swallows the squid and crushes it iternally as it heads towards the whales' stomach. Not all encounters are won by the whale.

yellowwing
05-02-08, 07:21 AM
Those things just give me the willies! :scared:

ZSKI
05-02-08, 08:11 AM
sweet jesus thats alot of sushi

Big Jim
05-02-08, 08:32 PM
sweet jesus thats alot of sushi

....I think they call it Calamari....ain't it....??? Thats what it says on the menu at red Lobster anyway! LOL!! I don't really know but you'll never see ME eating something that nasty lookin!!!

jetdawgg
05-05-08, 09:08 PM
Jetdawgg-
There is an interesting video/documentary about the Sperm Whale that isput out by the BBC. Although alot of this documentary is computer generated it does show both whale and giant squid "going to it". The great whale swallows the squid and crushes it iternally as it heads towards the whales' stomach. Not all encounters are won by the whale.

O. thanks for the drop I will look for it on You Tube...

montana
05-06-08, 04:55 AM
THAT is why i dont swim in the ocean...another reason is cuz its to far away

Phantom Winger
05-06-08, 09:19 AM
Big Jim - I read that if you made calamari out of that beast it would be as big as tractor tires and taste like ammonia.... must be using a navy recipe...

AL49BGN
05-06-08, 09:29 AM
They Say The Eye On That Squid Was The Size Of A Dinner Plate And Is Used To See In The Dark Of The Deep.

Osotogary
05-06-08, 09:14 PM
This is the documentary/film that I was talking about.

"The Deep"

Sperm WhaleBroadcast 19 September 2001, the next programme explores the unknown depths of the ocean. Over 60% of the sea is more than a mile deep and it forms the planet's most mysterious habitat. A sperm whale descends 1,000 metres to look for food and is followed. On the way down, a number of unusual creatures are witnessed, such as transparent squid and jellies, whose photophores give pulsating displays of colour. In such dark places, both being able to see (or sense movement) and the means of quick concealment are equally desirable. To that end, some use bioluminescence as a means of detecting food or evading predators. A descent to the very bottom of the ocean — some 4,000 metres — reveals life even at such cold temperatures, much of it new to science. It is dominated by echinoderms that sweep the sea bed; however, there are occasional large hunters, such as chimaera. In addition, sixgill sharks can grow up to eight metres in length and have remained unchanged for 150 million years. They are described as "living fossils" and relatively little is known about them. As the continental slope flattens out it joins the abyssal plain, which can form huge trenches. At seven miles, the deepest is the Mariana trench, and fish have been found there right down to the very bottom. Attenborough remarks that more is known about the surface of the moon. Species captured on film for the first time include the Dumbo octopus and the hairy anglerfish. This episode was nominated for two Emmy Award for oustanding sound editing and outstanding sound mixing in the non-fiction category. It was also nominanted for a BAFTA TV award for Best Innovation

Quinbo
05-08-08, 06:43 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qgRBvoUMwRI&feature=related

jetdoc
05-09-08, 10:19 AM
That is cool, the giant squid is a very intelligent creature.

sgt.r.n.davis
05-09-08, 10:56 AM
Wow!!! What's For Dinner??? You...