PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

fs19
05-01-08, 09:00 PM
Is it normal that I'm starting to get pretty nervous right now, about a month before I ship? Up until this point I have been incredibly motivated and gung ho, and I still am, but I'm starting to just get nervous about boot camp. I guess it's starting to kick in that this is real if that make sense. Does everyone go through this?

Petz
05-01-08, 09:34 PM
everybody does kid, this only will help to make the outcome more satisfying. I wasn't nervous when I left, so I didn't cry like everyone else did when they handed us the EGA... Eagle, Globe and Anchor to you. Well because I didn't cry the other new Marines thought I didn't care about the Corps and the Drill Instructors thought I was hard... either way, nervousness is normal to a well developed psyche, just keep up the preperations for going... which are, buy a collared shirt (when you leave you need proper civilian attire, I had to leave in my uniform!!!) belt, nice pants and comfortable casual shoes. Now go kick some ass and take some names!!

Is it normal that I'm starting to get pretty nervous right now, about a month before I ship? Up until this point I have been incredibly motivated and gung ho, and I still am, but I'm starting to just get nervous about boot camp. I guess it's starting to kick in that this is real if that make sense. Does everyone go through this?

crazymjb
05-01-08, 10:31 PM
I dunno. I am in that gap now (1 month 6 days to go) and honestly if anything I'm a bit excited. It still seems pretty far out, though my best friend is leaving early (12 may) from HS to do the 92 day program, and at this point we are noticing hes getting a bit snappy, little on edge.

There are aspects of boot I am nervous about, but I am more anxious to get started than anything. I have been waiting as long as I remember for this, and I just am really looking forward to 13 weeks of hell to start my journey in the Corps.

Good luck man, and remember, you are doing something that is designed to be nerve racking and difficult, but in the end you will join a legacy of the best men to set boot on this planet.

Mike

Petz
05-01-08, 10:38 PM
hey crazy it sounds like your friend is afraid to be away from home... sad really.

egbutler1
05-01-08, 10:43 PM
I wasn't freaking out to much before i left, i did a lot of studying and looking up info on how the process went. But as soon as I got on them yellow foot prints I was freaking out, thinking what the f@ck did i get myself into. But I did print out a thing that told me what we did do on each training day and kept that hid pretty well so I wasn't in the dark about what we where doing each day as far as "training" went. Forgot what site i got it off of but it helped me out mentally pretty good. Now I look back on boot camp and laugh at some of the stuff we did and how great of a time it really was. You will one day look back on it and think the same.

crazymjb
05-01-08, 10:47 PM
Being away from home will probably be one of the hardest parts for me, I think my friend is just more nervous about the entire thing.

Mike

Big Jim
05-01-08, 10:53 PM
Must've been nice having the computer to look up exactly what you'd be doing day after day! We had to just trust in the DI's and that was enough!! It still is enough. Don't worry kid, they've been making Marines for 233 years...you'll be taken care of and taught by the numbers, ok?! Trust is the big thing here!!

Ub3rmike
05-01-08, 11:38 PM

I'm pretty damn sure it is. I've been waiting since August, and once you realize how much of the civilian life you'll be shelving for boot camp. For me, the last summer with some of my friends, leaving behind poolees who won't be back to greet me when I come back, the Supreme Court decision on Heller v. DC, an outdoors/hunting trip with my good friend, college orientation, roadtrip through the western U.S. and Canada, you get the idea.

Waiting for the chance to go for the title and hearing motivating stories from Pvts and PFCs always keeps my spirits high, and in the 8-9 months I've been DEP'd in, it never occurred to me to try to back out. I think the stories from people who just came back alleviate the stress the most. Especially the funny ones like "I've got more games than Milton Bradley" or the recruit who elbows a DI trying to put his clothes on.

egbutler1
05-01-08, 11:52 PM
Must've been nice having the computer to look up exactly what you'd be doing day after day!

I know, Isn't technology freaking great? Use what you got, adapt, overcome and improvise.

Big Jim
05-01-08, 11:58 PM
I know, Isn't technology freaking great? Use what you got, adapt, overcome and improvise.

Well hell yeah...!! I'm just jealous that when I was getting out we we were just getting those big ol' green machines in! They'd have been nice to get stuff like we do now!! Glad the next generation has its goodies!

SlingerDun
05-01-08, 11:58 PM
Is it normal that I'm starting to get pretty nervous right now, about a month before I ship?Sure why not, Have you accomplished anything in your short life that even remotely compares to the challenges that lay in wait for you? Most of which remains murky and mysterious but you know your up against something formidable? Not likely, and its even normal to vomit just before embarking on what may be the greatest adventure of your life, but only once, until something tougher comes along. No worries, its a big circle.:cool:

--->Dave

fs19
05-02-08, 06:18 AM
Thanks a lot to everyone who posted. I'm not really worried or scared or anything, it's just the uncertainty of what is to come, and more importantly, how I will react to it. Deep down though I know that everything will be fine and that I will probably excel in that type of environment.

Marine84
05-02-08, 07:48 AM
You wouldn't be normal if you didn't have these feelings. I was scared before I got there (first time away from home), questioned myself the ENTIRE 3 months I was there (got recycled), but when that DI pinned my emblem on my cover and put it back on my head I cried like a baby cause I was so proud of myself for having it in me not to quit or get thrown out and I HAD THE TITLE!

thewookie
05-02-08, 08:04 AM
Nervousness is ok, it's like when adrenaline is forced into your bloodstream; it's something you can't stop. It's your body telling you to buckle down and focus. It's more manageable with training and experience.

It's not ok, however, if you can't overcome it and get the job done.

maverickmarine
05-02-08, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I didn't know chit about what to expect or what we would be doing or anything else. I just knew it would be difficult. I didn't really have time to get all nervous and all that training before I left but it started to set in when the plane was landing in San Diego and then while standing on the yellow footprints it was the typical "what the hell did I get myself into." LOL.

CHOPPER7199
05-02-08, 08:39 AM
You Walk, You Crawl, You Run, You Jump, You Kneel, You Squat, Then You Stand Tall. As A United States Marine. OORAH

darkgreen0311
05-02-08, 08:52 AM
I wasn't nervous until we got on the bus headed to the depot and once my feet hit those yellow foot prints i had the same feeling as egbutler1. What did i get myself into. The weather had to be in the 80s i tell you my knees were shaking. It's something that we've all experienced i guess it's like sports you have butterflies before the game. Once the starting whistle blows the butterflies disipate.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

SGT7477
05-02-08, 09:22 AM
Oh ya it is natural to be nervous when I went to boot I thought to myself what the hell did I get myself into now, no pain no gain, GET SOME.

shpdt080701
05-02-08, 10:15 AM
Just remember, the first night/day is SUPPOSED to be confusing. It's crazy, and fast paced.

Even though Recieving is really really laid back, I HATED IT. I wanted to get to training right away. I just hated waiting to get to the 'training house' and out of the recieving barracks. I wanted to learn everything right away and get out there. I sy the other platoons and just wanted to skip to that and not be the baby company.

But yeah, just flow with everything for the first day or two and STAY STAY STAY STAY AWAKE. You will not sleep for over 24 hours once you hit the footprints.

Dan