PDA

View Full Version : Site of Marine museum dedicated.....

Phantom Blooper
05-01-08, 08:32 PM
Site of Marine museum dedicated

May 1, 2008 - 8:41PM
BY SUZANNE ULBRICH ("")
DAILY NEWS STAFF
<!-- Video goes here -->

Efforts to build a museum to honor and tell the stories of the Marines, their families and the community that supported them have been in the works for six decades and began in earnest in 1999 through the efforts of Gen. Ray Smith.
Smith spoke to members of the military, elected officials, local business leaders and community members who attended a ceremony Thursday to dedicate the site of the Museum of the Marine.
He explained that the new museum would be a testament to the ties the community has with the Marines.
"It will be a testimony to the great relationship we have with the community," Smith said. "I know I am proud to be a member of that community."
Smith went on to explain the ups and downs many have experienced in their efforts to get a museum built, but he said the dedication ceremony marked the end of doubts and worry and the ups and downs.
"We have momentum and the funds are flowing in .... On this site we are going to build The Museum of the Marine, I swear to God," Smith vowed.
Historian Lt. Col. Kim Kimball explained the museum's mission is to tell the story of the operating forces, of the bases and stations, and of the accomplishments and battles of the Carolina Marines, sailors and Coast Guardsmen and honor the community for its support.
"The mission of the museum is to tell this story - a story that continues as we dedicate this site. It was first proposed in 1944 that a museum be erected here, in honor of the Marines that fought at Guadalcanal. Now, 64 years later, with almost 4 million Marines having trained and served in the Carolinas, it's our heartfelt duty to bring to fruition this initial vision ...," Kimball said.
The groundbreaking for the museum, on a 6-acre tract in the Lejeune Memorial Gardens, adjacent to Camp Lejeune near the Beirut Memorial, is anticipated in 2009.
Museum of the Marine interim executive director, Col. Bruce Gombar, said $21 million is needed to open the doors, and he was pleased to announce one-third of that has been donated.
"We're one-third of the way there. We have $6.3 million in donations and pledges ...," Gombar said.
Board chairman Bill Ayers said the museum expects 110,000 visitors a year and will generate $11 million annually to the local economy.
Ayers said the design of the building has been completed and the next step is the engineering documents.
The museum design includes three main galleries, an orientation theatre, a special exhibits gallery and a memorial gallery. The three galleries proposed are, a Carolinas & the Corps Gallery, a World Warriors Gallery and a 21st<SUP> </SUP>& Beyond Gallery. Memory Zones will be inside each of the three galleries.
"This symbolically begins the beginning life of the Museum of the Marines," said Col. Richard Flatau Jr., commanding officer of Camp Lejeune.

Marine84
05-01-08, 08:38 PM
Damn Phantom - I thought you were going to say YOUR house. LOL!

Phantom Blooper
05-01-08, 08:50 PM
Not my house...but I did will some Phantom dust to them when I'm gone! Along with my red "P" and mask! :beer: