PDA

View Full Version : Why I HAVE to come to D.C.

mrbsox
04-28-03, 09:08 AM
In addition to finally meeting all of you that can make it, I've got to fill in a piece of life, while in D.C. I call it;

Another Circle in Life

I’m sure you’ve all heard the phrase “it’s a small world”, and even experienced events that make it seem so. This is why I feel a need to visit “THE WALL”, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. I feel the need to complete a ‘circle’, that started many years ago for a young Marine P.F.C. in Okinawa, Japan. Or, perhaps it started many years earlier, in Vietnam.

I had missed P.F.C. out of boot camp by just a couple of points on the rifle range, but still expert. I.T.S. at Camp Pendleton brought the stripe after excelling in ‘Mortar man’ school. As a ‘new-bee’ to 3rd Bn. 4th Mar, I had been ‘in country’ just a couple of weeks, and found myself standing a Commanding Generals inspection. This was my first REAL inspection as a Marine. I was so sure of myself, almost cocky. Wrong attitude.

As the Sgt. Maj. stepped in front of me, training took over. {Inspection arms, don’t bobble the head, crisp movements, bolt catch…. there it is}, “SIR” (first mistake), “PRIVATE (second mistake) BOWERSOX READY FOR INSPECTION”.

“I’m not an Officer, you don’t call me sir”. (Gulp, oh sh!t) “What is your rank Marine?”
“SIR….GEANT MAJOR, THE PRIVATE………… IS A PRIVATE FIRST CLASS”.
“What is your last name?”
“BOWERSOX”
“Do you know a Charles Bowersox?”
“NO SERGEANT MAJOR”
“I knew a Charles Bowersox in Vietnam. Who is your Battalion Sergeant Major?”
Err…. ugh…. (training kicks in again) “SIR THE PRIVATE DOESEN’T KNOW BUT THE PRIVATE WILL FIND OUT, SIR”. (Gulp, oh sh!t)
Handing me back my rifle, “Just out of Boot Camp, huh. What in the hell are they sending us”, turns and moves on to the next. And so starts another circle in life.

This was 1976, and half way around the world. Just a year or so ago, I find a web site, www.thevirtualwall.org, and just on a whim checked it out. Nice sight, solemn, eerie to a non –combat Veteran. Did a search, just to see what happens. “BOWERSOX” is not all that common a name, and I had long since forgotten that hot summer day on Okinawa.

Panel 22E, Row 96:
Charles W. Bowersox, LCpl, U.S.M.C.
KIA July 2, 1967, Quang Tri

9 years after his death, a Sergeant Major, probably a First Sergeant or a Gunnery Sergeant at the time, remembered a young Lance Corporal that died for his Country. SO, I’m going to complete a circle, that started many, many years ago.

Semper Fidelis.

JAMarine
04-30-03, 07:32 PM
I too have business at The Wall.

We'll walk the journey together Bro.

Look forward to meeting you.

Roberto T. Cast
04-30-03, 09:34 PM
I have been to The Wall twice. The second time was last summer. Both times when I got there, I get the chills. It make me sad. I ask myself, I escape because my name is not on one of the panels of The Wall. It's an errie feeling for me.

I do not want to go back to see The Wall, but somehow I drawn to it. I know I am going to see it again. I don't know when, but I will see it again. Its just a matter of time.

:confused: