View Full Version : Marines hit ol’ fishin’ hole

thedrifter
05-01-08, 06:22 AM
Marines hit ol’ fishin’ hole
Program provided to Wounded Warriors
April 30, 2008 - 11:36PM
SUZANNE ULBRICH
THE DAILY NEWS

NORTH TOPSAIL BEACH - Small mullet were about the only fish biting.

But Marines from Camp Lejeune's Wounded Warriors Barracks still enjoyed the surprise outing to Seaview Pier on Tuesday.

Fishing alongside the troops were community volunteers and members of N.C. Watermen, as part of its Take a Hero Fishing program.

The program started through the online forum at www.ncwaterman.com and resulted in members taking Marines and sailors from the Wounded Warriors Barracks on fishing trips whenever possible.

Richard Phelps of N.C. Waterman planned the pier fishing event.

"This has been the second year for this pier trip," Phelps said. "Greg Ludlum, the owner of the pier, was gracious enough to provide us with free access to the pier, and he donated fishing poles, bait and a free lunch. This pier allows wounded warriors to fish free any time - I wish other piers would do the same."

Phelps said he wanted to do the event again this year because he wants to make sure these men know they are appreciated and have not been forgotten.

"Whether you agree with the war or not, these guys didn't make the policy, and I don't want these guys to feel the same way men returning from Vietnam and other wars felt - forgotten and neglected," he said.

Many of the wounded said it was a great escape and bonding experience.

"It has been an outstanding experience - to get away for the day with the other wounded warriors is great," Cpl. Patrick Phillips said. "I like to fish, but can use all the help I can get, since I'm terrible at it. The (volunteers) have been great at giving me hints and tips. It's nice that people care about Marines, and it's a great chance for us to be with each other out of the military environment."

Lance Cpl. David Hoover enjoyed the normalcy of the day.

"To me it means catching up on lost time - doing normal things, and forgetting about dirt and worst places," he said.

Cpl. Dennis Albaugh said he could succinctly describe what the outing meant to him.

"I need only two words: therapeutic and fun," he said. "I woke up this morning not knowing I was going to get to do this today, and I feel so fortunate. I am very thankful for the people that put this together and enabled us to do this."

Phelps hopes he can encourage the community to support the program.

"I raised around $2,000 through members of NCWaterman.com and through The Daily News and other newspapers that have written stories about the Take a Hero Fishing program," he said. "If a reader wants to take one of these guys out fishing, all they have to do is call up the barracks. Hope for the Warriors, a local nonprofit group that supports wounded warriors and their families, maintains the account and will purchase a (fishing) license for them with this money, so they can go."

Phyllis Stiles said she was happy to see the wounded Marines enjoy the day on the pier.

"I came with my son, who is volunteering, and this is so nice!" Stiles said. "They should do this on every pier and serve them dinner."

Contact Topsail area reporter Suzanne Ulbrich at sulbrich@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8466.

Ellie