PDA

View Full Version : Less of a Marine?

ofsteel412
05-01-08, 01:16 AM
Sirs, I am leaving for MCRD San Diego on May 27. I am proud of this decision, I just had a question about some things I have been hearing about how certain Marines are treated. First of all, I am starting on a reservist contract as an officer candidate until i finish college at which point I will take my commission as a 2nd lieutenant, then I plan to attend law school before starting active duty as a judge advocate. I have heard that reservists are seen by some as less Marines than those on active duty, I have also been told that Marines who choose an MOS that probably wont involve seeing combat are less Marines than those who choose infantry. Is any of this true?

SgtHopperUSMC
05-01-08, 02:53 AM
No it's not true. You choose to serve your country. You chose to join the Corps. Now will the Corps choose you? We are all grunts at heart.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-01-08, 04:46 AM
A Marine is a Marine, a title earned that can never be taken away. You will bleed, sweat, and cry for the right to call yourself a U.S. Marine, and you will be upon graduation, no matter where the Corps takes. you. Also, you can choose to go Active Duty if you wish.

The Marine Corps is all about competition, which is why you have heard things about the way AD Marines treat and think of the Reservists. Thats just the way Marines are, we all think we are better, and no one will tell us otherwise.

Irregardless of where you go, what you do, once the EGA is burned into your heart and soul, no man can take that away.

:flag:

BR34
05-01-08, 06:10 AM
Last time I checked we all wear the same uniform. I work close to a lot of reservists and I'm pretty sure their name tapes don't say "U.S. Marine Reserves".

Marine84
05-01-08, 07:33 AM
You might be called a tampon (jokingly and with much love) but.........other than that...............

ofsteel412
05-01-08, 11:07 AM
Thank you for all your responses. I am honored to have the opportunity to be a Marine.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-01-08, 12:09 PM
I'm not going to lie- we looked down on reservists. When we worked with them they didn't seem to really know what they were doing most times. Their attitude is different, much more laid back than the active duty people. When I got out I spent some time in the reserves and left for the same reasons.

Looking back, it is what it is. You aren't less of a Marine at all, just a different type of Marine. It is like saying a Doberman is less of a dog than a Bulldog- they're both dogs, they just do things a little differently. And either way, you don't want one to decide to attack you.

Big Jim
05-01-08, 12:24 PM
Sirs, I am leaving for MCRD San Diego on May 27. I am proud of this decision, I just had a question about some things I have been hearing about how certain Marines are treated. First of all, I am starting on a reservist contract as an officer candidate until i finish college at which point I will take my commission as a 2nd lieutenant, then I plan to attend law school before starting active duty as a judge advocate. I have heard that reservists are seen by some as less Marines than those on active duty, I have also been told that Marines who choose an MOS that probably wont involve seeing combat are less Marines than those who choose infantry. Is any of this true?

less Marines?!?! No, not at all...we ALL wear the same uniform and serve the same Corps and learn the same things at the same bootcamp. Where would you be less just because of what path you choose? If you choose to become a Marine and earn that title...it is yours even in death!! And as far as the reserves...I think E4B nailed it, the reserves have gained new found respect as they too get activated to go to Iraq. Ever heard of Lima Company out of Columbus, Ohio? I live near Columbus and believe me, there's NOTHING less about those Marines. They're honored and revered and supported by their families, their community, their city and state and by their country!!! There's nothing "less" about being a Marine, understand?!

kbs95125
05-01-08, 01:35 PM
My AD brothers and friends always call me the "god dang reservist" when we talk. It's all in fun though. Sometimes I'll call my AD friends when I know they are trying to get some sleep after pulling duty and mess with them. They know me and know that I put out every last bit of effort I have into making myself a better Marine at all times and that I always represent the Marine Corps with pride. I don't mess around at all about being a Marine and they would gladly sit side by side with me as I would with them.

immaproshooter
05-01-08, 01:42 PM
hell there aint nothin less of being in he reserves.....im a reservist...and am damn proud of it as well....i have my reasons why each and every Marine has there reasons why they are active or reserve or which MOS they chose......the bottom line is you are making the commitment to your country and to our Corps and to god that you will serve to the best of your ability and not let any one stand in your way to accomplish what needs to be done...going through boot and SOI (MCT for you) ya you will probably be given **** by your DIs.....but who cares....jsut take ti like you will take everything else....they are jstu tryin to push you to your limits and train you properly....i was picked on alot for being Reserves..but it slacked up alot on me cause another Marine in boot with me was a reservist but im an 0311 and he was giong in to be a MP...and our DIs jsut hated MP's so they picked on him left and right..but he didnt let it get to him either he ended up being platoon honor grad...

LiamY
05-01-08, 01:59 PM
Hey, you're doing the same thing I am man! But you're going to Biola...that's not cool. I better smack you before we both end up Marines and I have to treat you like a brother. Go APU!

Anyway, what MOS you going for and where are you gonna be stationed? Pendleton? I'll be part of an LAR Battallion assuming I survive recruit training.

AL49BGN
05-01-08, 02:35 PM
You First Better Hope You Become A Marine.Once You Are A Marine, We Are All Basic Rifleman No Matter What Your MOS.Good Luck!

SgtHMH
05-01-08, 03:21 PM
Well I was both Active Duty Marine and a Reserve Marine there is no differance except Active Duty do it everyday and Reserves do it one weekend a month and two weeks during the summer. You are not treated any differant or called anything differant. Now Reserve Units are being deployed for however long and serving on the front lines. alot of seen action and alot of them have seen alot. It does not matter what MOS you have in the Corps from Recon to Admin they are all important, they all matter one does not work with out the other. In Boot Camp they will play games with all kinds of things and say anything to get your goat or push your buttons. But in the end when it is over all that Grad on your day will be called U.S. Marines. The Corps knows that it's Reservist are smart also going to College, being State Officers, City Cops, Firefighters or alot more Jobs and when called can use those job skills for the Corps also, because they are added to your SRB.

Once A Marine Always A Marine

Semper Fi

Sgt S.J. Hoss
Calif State Officer S.J. Hoss

MotherGoose
05-01-08, 03:27 PM
well said SgtHMH!!:marine:

Marine84
05-01-08, 08:50 PM
HEY! Welcome Aboard SSGT! Bout time we got some more women in here - it gets hard for me around here sometimes.

Petz
05-01-08, 09:40 PM
first of all, good for you, you should do what you want, you're your own man... remember that. second... higher education makes you more intelligent not less of a man. and third.. reservist have a WAAAAAYYY more laid back approach to everything! trust me on this. they have civilian jobs and they do this on the weekend once a month... many are UA, all are Marines. As for a non-combat job being less of a Marine... whoever told you that is the kind of person you should never talk to again, they obviously know nothing of the Corps... I'm Motor T Mech and I've patrolled outside of Fallujah just before the 2004 Fallujah surge... I've convoyed around more than most grunts, and enjoyed plenty of mortar rounds incoming... everyone who goes through boot camp is a Marine, nuff said.

JoeSzynal
05-01-08, 10:24 PM
If anything, you'll get the stink-eye down the road for being a JAG officer. Outside of helping me with my will, sitting down with a JAG for something that happened in theater was never a good time. The reality is however that JAG officers, among many other things, ensure that we prosecute this and all wars in a way that sets us apart from most developed countries. Hats off to them. Just don't tell my buddies ;)

FeMzZ
05-02-08, 09:54 AM

dont worry about that stuff, it doesnt matter. I am an infantry Marine and when speaking to other MARINES who were also infantry, they are the most motivated and hardcore Marines i ever met, but they felt very strong for fellow grunts because they said the Marines are here to kill

davblay
05-02-08, 09:59 AM
dont worry about that stuff, it doesnt matter. I am an infantry Marine and when speaking to other MARINES who were also infantry, they are the most motivated and hardcore Marines i ever met, but they felt very strong for fellow grunts because they said the Marines are here to kill

Watch your wording poolee!

Dave

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-08, 10:01 AM
Amazing, you're an infantry Marine that hasn't even gone to boot camp yet. How did you become a Marine without earning the Title? I am pretty sure that I was told it is always earned, never given.

BR34
05-02-08, 10:20 AM
Maybe his recruiter gave it to him.

Or maybe he forgot who he was talking to, and slipped up and gave us all the line he's been using on the ladies for the last few months.

project
05-02-08, 10:35 AM
I thought i might as well ask a quick question while were on the subject. Im ona reserve contract at the moment. Yesterday i was going to switch to active but every job i wanted to do was taken and i was told to just wait to switch back to active when i can which i belive is 6 months after bootcamp. If i say go to artillery school as a reservist can i switch to infantry(what i realy want to do) when i switch to active duty?

thanks
drew

BR34
05-02-08, 10:36 AM
I thought i might as well ask a quick question while were on the subject. Im ona reserve contract at the moment. Yesterday i was going to switch to active but every job i wanted to do was taken and i was told to just wait to switch back to active when i can which i belive is 6 months after bootcamp. If i say go to artillery school as a reservist can i switch to infantry(what i realy want to do) when i switch to active duty?

thanks
drew

No, you won't be able to switch MOSs until/if you reenlist.

project
05-02-08, 10:43 AM
Well. Is there anything i can do to get a job i want when i switch to active. Right now im 0844 and this was my 2nd choice job,but i was told that will change if i switch to active duty.
thanks for the help.

BR34
05-02-08, 10:47 AM
Why not wait till October and go active? In October there will be alot of job openings. Only 5 months away.

project
05-02-08, 10:50 AM
Well i ship out 20080609 and my plan was to active as soon as i was able to when i get back.

rvillac2
05-02-08, 11:04 AM
Well i ship out 20080609 and my plan was to active as soon as i was able to when i get back.

You lose your leverage once you sign your final contract. After that you're subject to the needs of the Corps. I wouldn't count on receiving anything after that. They won't be inclined to send you to ANOTHER MOS school.

You should tell them you won't ship unless you get what you want in an AD contract.

project
05-02-08, 11:06 AM
Ok. Thanks i appreciate the help.

MotherGoose
05-02-08, 11:16 AM
HEY! Welcome Aboard SSGT! Bout time we got some more women in here - it gets hard for me around here sometimes.

Thanks Marine84! I'm glad to be here. I don't find many female Marines, and when I do, I try to get them to come join the MCL.
:marine:

project
05-02-08, 11:19 AM
I hate being a nusence, but is there any advice if i want to get infantry and go active duty, or am i just SOL.Haha i appreciate all the help im just trying to clear things up.

thanks
drew

immaproshooter
05-02-08, 11:25 AM
ok kid if you would scroll up and read.......a Marine suggested to tell them you wont sign unless you get want you want on an active duty contract.......

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-08, 11:30 AM
Keep on your recruiter. There is probably a spot for you (though you will almost definitely have to change your ship date) somewhere. Your region doesn't have a spot for an infantry Marine but he may be able to find some place that does.

Other than that, you're just out of luck. You should have signed up for it in the first place I guess. But it is a lesson we've all learned at one point or another- the needs of the Corps far surpass your own desires. If there isn't a spot for you in infantry school that simply means they don't need any more infantry boots right now. So you can wait until they do (Oct. 1) or you can pick something else.

SGT7477
05-02-08, 12:23 PM
Thanks Marine84! I'm glad to be here. I don't find many female Marines, and when I do, I try to get them to come join the MCL.
:marine:
Only thing required here is a high and tight, just kidding, Welcome Aboard.:flag:

SGT7477
05-02-08, 12:25 PM
Oh shoot this is funny,INCOMING.:evilgrin:

Big Jim
05-02-08, 01:03 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, boy, but based on your many years of grunt experience, POOLIE...and I do mean, POOLIE...how would YOU know?? LOL!! You have to BE a Marine before you can claim to be one, ok? It was funny though!!!!

Don't worry, you'll get your chance...thats a promise...

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-02-08, 01:07 PM

You must be smoking Crack pup. If it weren't for the fact that this is a reputable online establishment, i'd rip you apart and leave you for the SNCO's to pick apart. Check yourself before i start to feel the evilness.
:evilgrin:

project
05-02-08, 03:10 PM
Thank you Marines i appreciate the help. If i dont get infantry its all good i just want to be a Marine and will do what is needed for the Corps.

SgtThrasher
05-02-08, 04:55 PM
Thank you Marines i appreciate the help. If i dont get infantry its all good i just want to be a Marine and will do what is needed for the Corps.

Every Marine is a Rifleman first,be you cook,admin,supply
clerk.I think Boot Camp defines us and is the glue that bonds us as Marines,and it never washes off.Once a Marine,
always a Marine is more than just words,it's forever.
:evilgrin:

ssgtt32
05-02-08, 05:20 PM
Every Marine is a Rifleman first,be you cook,admin,supply
clerk.I think Boot Camp defines us and is the glue that bonds us as Marines,and it never washes off.Once a Marine,
always a Marine is more than just words,it's forever.

AMEN !!!! !! !!!!!!!!!!

bgsuwoody
05-02-08, 10:46 PM
I don't mess around at all about being a Marine and they would gladly sit side by side with me as I would with them.

No Balls, you little reservist lol...stop playing with the puppy and get out here...we could always use another Marine like you out here in ****ville, NC lol. Hope you are doing well my man give me a call sometime

kbs95125
05-02-08, 11:52 PM
reservist have a WAAAAAYYY more laid back approach to everything! trust me on this. they have civilian jobs and they do this on the weekend once a month... many are UA, all are Marines.

With all due respect Sgt.

"In December 1990, 2d Battalion, 23d Marines was mobilized by Presidential Call-up to support Operation Desert Shield/Storm. 99.2% of those on the rolls reported to their seven separate drill centers for duty. Within two days of activation, this, the largest and most geographically diverse infantry battalion in the Marine Corps, reported to its Station of Initial Assignment at Camp Pendleton, California with 1,015 Marine and Navy personnel. Unlike the standard 180 day build up period which most UDP battalions require to prepare for deployment, 2/23 deployed within 16 days of activation and joined III MEF on 25 December 1990 in Okinawa, Japan. On August 8th 1991, Company "E", 2d Battalion, 23d Marines returned to San Bruno, California, and were officially released from active duty in September 1991."