PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville Question

cake96861
04-29-08, 08:52 PM
I'm PCSing to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Jacksonville</st1> </st1:city>and had a question. can you wear flip flops, like abercrombie type, not shower shoes? Someone said something about no open toed shoes or something utterly retarded sounding. Also, something about all shirts have to be tucked in except for polo shirts? No one I know has been there for any length of time other then MCT. Is there any truth to this or is this a myth?

egbutler1
04-29-08, 09:04 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to wear close toed shoes, i never went out with out them but i sure saw Marines wearing flip flops. As for the shirts, when i was a CPL on duty i always told Marines to turn around and put on proper clothing or to use the back hatch...hehe... I'm almost sure there are MCO out there that say whats up with flip flops and polo type shirts. Never got yelled at for not wearing a polo type shirt on base, but be carfull at the local Wal-Mart some you will get chewed out in front of everyone if your not sat.

Petz
04-29-08, 10:51 PM
yeah that attire is only acceptable at kaneohe bay hawaii... no ****. shoes and tucked in shirts unless they have the slits ont he sides.

cake96861
04-29-08, 11:11 PM
I looked around and couldnt find a MCO nor a base order...

st0rm
04-29-08, 11:23 PM
retarded? It is a Marine Corps order don't like it don't re-enlist they teach you this in boot camp were you sleeping that day or what. It's dress code, you signed up for it pretty boy suck it up

GunSlinger
04-30-08, 01:58 AM
I am currently stationed on MCAS NEW RIVER in Jacksonville, the whole flip flop idea, I would not advise it, Open toed shoes may only be worn if they have a backing to them i.e. Sandals. Your shirt is supposed to be tucked in but no one says anything if it is not, although you must wear a belt at all times(any time you have belt loops of course). Remember Airwing is always more laxed than Ground, so If you can't wear them on the wing side imagine how close to the order you need to be on groundside.....Hope I was a help.

MarineNCO
04-30-08, 05:11 AM
MCO 1020.34G Chapter 1, paragraph 1005(4)(c). Even though it speaks about these uniforms aboard ship you should apply it to being in town. Remember you are a direct representation of the entire Marine Corps.

Most of the PX on base require you to be appropriately dressed. This essentially means a similar to the Service 'C' uniform.

cake96861
04-30-08, 05:57 AM
retarded? It is a Marine Corps order don't like it don't re-enlist they teach you this in boot camp were you sleeping that day or what. It's dress code, you signed up for it pretty boy suck it up

Very constructive response, bravo devil!

A yes or no response would have been sufficient, the bases I’ve been to, <st1:state w:st="on">Hawaii</st1:state>, <st1:city w:st="on">Quantico</st1:city><st1>><st1>Camp</st1><st1> Pen</st1></st1> there wasn’t a problem with an untucked t-shirt or nice flops. I haven’t been to NC yet so I wasn’t sure.

Quinbo
04-30-08, 06:22 AM
Try to get out the gate at camp Hansen with flip flops, no belt, and your shirt tails swinging in the breeze ;)
You'll never get past the quaterdeck on ship dressed like that. It's unsat.

Marines are professional fighting men and should dress professionally at all times.

timreich
04-30-08, 06:44 AM
im at camp lejeune, honestly you can wear flip flops and your shirt untucked no one will really bother you unless you try to go into the px/commisary etc...if your going to mct or another entry level school i highly recommend your wear proper civialian attire.

SSgtOfMarines
04-30-08, 07:15 AM
Everyone here that is telling you that it is not allowed is full of $hit. There are no Marine Corps orders that say you cannot wear sandals. What constitutes a sandal and a flip flop are in the eye of the beholder. If they are illegal to wear, go into the PX and tell them to stop selling them.

Ghost orders make the Corps go round. Blah.

Achped
04-30-08, 01:27 PM
yeah that attire is only acceptable at kaneohe bay hawaii... no ****. shoes and tucked in shirts unless they have the slits ont he sides.

Yes sir!!! I spent 9 months in J-Ville, lets just say...there are more desirable duty stations.

You'd think I had done something like not salute during colors or wore my cover sideways by the reaction I got wearing flip flops over there.

Then I got sent to K-Bay and lt col's will come to work in flip flops before they change into cammies.

AL49BGN
04-30-08, 02:18 PM
Come On Devil Dog,its The Corps.You Know What Are Dress Code Is.I Wouldn't Try To Stick Out.I Would Avoid Flip Flops And Untucked Shirts.It Is Common Sense.

Petz
04-30-08, 04:05 PM
dress code is a *****.... there are orders out there, they are base orders, command orders and platoon orders... and they usually get verbally passed on... if your command says no sandals/flip-flops then guess what?! don't get caught wearing those things.

Everyone here that is telling you that it is not allowed is full of $hit. There are no Marine Corps orders that say you cannot wear sandals. What constitutes a sandal and a flip flop are in the eye of the beholder. If they are illegal to wear, go into the PX and tell them to stop selling them.

Ghost orders make the Corps go round. Blah.

ecfree
04-30-08, 04:19 PM
It's been a few years since I've been in the Corps.
When I was in we didn't wear sandles/flops on liberty,even if it was permited.Why?,if you get into some brotherly hand to hand,toes get broken and then your face.
As far as the shirt goes,dress like a man,dress like a Marine.:evilgrin:

Petz
04-30-08, 04:20 PM
spoken like a person who respects himself.... why doesn't the initial poster? is he just trying to fit in? well those people suck, and so do people who are victims to fashion.

Camper51
04-30-08, 05:19 PM

A yes or no response would have been sufficient, the bases I’ve been to, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:state w:st="on">Hawaii</st1:state>, <st1:city w:st="on">Quantico</st1:city><ST1>><ST1>Camp</ST1><ST1> Pen</ST1></ST1> there wasn’t a problem with an untucked t-shirt or nice flops. I haven’t been to NC yet so I wasn’t sure.

This from a ??? Marine who enlisted in 1999 and is still a freakin private!!!! (I read your profile and that is what it says) and a damned sassy one at that.

Like every other POS these days you try and make your own rules instead of following the ones given you by the Base commander or the Marine Corps. Why don't you just wait till you get there and then find out what the regs really are???

Man up and be a freakin Marine and wear what you are told you can, not what you think you can get away with...

cake96861
04-30-08, 06:50 PM
This from a ??? Marine who enlisted in 1999 and is still a freakin private!!!! (I read your profile and that is what it says) and a damned sassy one at that.

Like every other POS these days you try and make your own rules instead of following the ones given you by the Base commander or the Marine Corps. Why don't you just wait till you get there and then find out what the regs really are???

Man up and be a freakin Marine and wear what you are told you can, not what you think you can get away with...
I dont try to make any rules up... I was actually inquiring as to what the regs are, trying to be a little proactive before I get there.

ttracker65
05-03-08, 06:23 AM
I am inquiring why you are hanging a Sgt chevron on your Profile and listing as an E-1 Pvt what is with that! Have some respect or borrow it please.

mcvet57103
05-05-08, 10:16 AM
I am inquiring why you are hanging a Sgt chevron on your Profile and listing as an E-1 Pvt what is with that! Have some respect or borrow it please.
I'm wandering if he is really in the Corps as he lists his ocupation as Student. Learning to be a Poser?? Hmmmmmmmm??????

SGT VAS
05-05-08, 10:53 AM
Cake96861, you better unfuk your profile if your a Private or lock up the Corporal who just disrepsected a Sergeant of Marines. Either way your sh*t is unsat!!!:evilgrin:

awbrown1462
05-05-08, 11:10 AM
on Ft knox I see soldiers going out in baggy pants over size shirts and all kinds of foot wear they look like sh*t bags no pride in being Soldiers. just take pride in being a Marine and dress like you are one

mcvet57103
05-05-08, 12:13 PM
Cake96861, you better unfuk your profile if your a Private or lock up the Corporal who just disrepsected a Sergeant of Marines. Either way your sh*t is unsat!!!:evilgrin:
If he is a Sgt he needs to set a better example. Squared away doesn't just apply to Military dress. It also applies to proper bearing while wearing civies. You are a Marine 24/7 not just when in uniform. I am to understand in order to even enlist in the Corps now, you have to have at least a GED. Which should mean at least a minimum education. Of course common sense can't be taught. In order to earn my respect, cake needs to show some NCO leadership traits. Wanting to know what he can get away with wearing doesn't in my oppinion set a good example or show leadership. During my time in service I corrected more than one E-5 and even in one case an E-6 for not displaying proper bearing. Did it in a respectful manner, and was thanked in most cases.

SGT VAS
05-05-08, 01:24 PM
By all means can Marines correct each other regardless of rank, but you must be tactful and use common sense if you are of lesser grade.

cake96861
05-05-08, 04:26 PM
I have no idea how a simple question can be so misconstrued. This was what I thought was a simple yes or no question. I’m not trying to get away with anything, I’m trying to be proactive in finding out if there is a "dress code" that doesn’t allow someone to wear flip flops. And in all honesty does wearing flip flops or not having a t-shirt not tucked in mean I’m not being “professional”? It is more of a comfort issue. I mean if we are going for professional maybe we should all wear button down shirts and ties???

mcvet57103
05-05-08, 04:40 PM
I have no idea how a simple question can be so misconstrued. This was what I thought was a simple yes or no question. I’m not trying to get away with anything, I’m trying to be proactive in finding out if there is a "dress code" that doesn’t allow someone to wear flip flops. And in all honesty does wearing flip flops or not having a t-shirt not tucked in mean I’m not being “professional”? It is more of a comfort issue. I mean if we are going for professional maybe we should all wear button down shirts and ties???Maybe the Corps has mellowed since I was in, but we were required at every duty station I was assigned to, to wear conservative, and tasteful civies. AC/DC t-shirts, or any thing similar, and profanity were strictly forbidden. Maybe flip flops would work if you go to the beach, but anywhere else in public I would say no. Sandles with socks scream "DORK!". Untucked shirts.....well......we wore them around Jacksonville. As long as they are clean I don't see a problem. I would check with your units CO for the strait scoop. Don't rely on some nobody, or you could be opening yourself up for some serious sh*t. After all, if an officer asks you who gave you permission to wear that, what are you going to say if you took anyone but your CO's word? And thanks for straightening your profile out Sarg. Semper Fi

ecfree
05-05-08, 04:41 PM
Not a bad idea ,cake.:evilgrin:

SlingerDun
05-05-08, 05:19 PM
Try to get out the gate at camp Hansen with flip flops, no belt, and your shirt tails swinging in the breeze ;)
You'll never get past the quarterdeck on ship dressed like that. It's unsatAffirmative and one can stand in long libbo lines at certain ports waiting on launches and watch noon chow come and go only to get up front and close to disembarking when some little Napoleon Gestapo Chief Master at Arms tells you: Unsat Marine, go change out of those shower shoes, sweat pants and wife beater. Oh and tuck away that gold Mr. T starter kit, shipmate.

Quinbo
05-05-08, 05:40 PM
You are so right slinger. Used to be that everyone coming in off libbo would roll a big dice, and then if you rolled a 4 or whatever you got the full shake down. Come in dressed like one of the beastie boys and it was skip the dice. How did you get off ship dressed like that? MAA suddenly became the gestapo and you were in for it. I'll just hang on to your ID till tomarrow and you can pick it up from your 1st Sgt in the morning. Don't rock the boat.

Wyoming
05-05-08, 08:01 PM
As I recall, we weren't allowed to wear jeans. And all of this from a Texas boy, who never owned any slacks.

Flip flops / shower shoes? - AOK, FOR the shower.

Untucked shirt? Sure, no problem, WHILE you were dressing.

No belt? Sheeit, that was totally unheard of.

Achped
05-06-08, 12:11 AM
Holy crap, I never knew it was so harsh. Im glad Im in Hawaii, I see Marines at the PX in tank tops, swim shorts and flip flops...every day of the week, and dependents. Wow, you'd think we were at the beach by what Marines wear, but you'd think they just got out of the water by the dependents attire!

I love this place :) No flip flops at the chow hall...thats it.

RLeon
05-06-08, 01:26 AM
Flip flops are ony acceptable if you're going to the shower, beach, hanging around the house, live in a third world country were it's hot and you can't afford shoes, or a gay Abercrombie and Fitch model.
:marine:

CBRN5711
05-13-08, 01:07 AM
With everyone assuming that they know the correct answer to this, I've decided to place the link to some of the base orders around our Corps:

Camp Pendleton: https://158.238.251.13/pendleton/ACSManpower/Adjutant/BO/default.aspx
Then click on the base order tab and select BO 1020.1

Marine Corps Base Hawaii: http://www.mcbh.usmc.mil/g1/adjutant/pubs/1000.htm then click he tab for BO 1020.5B Ch 1

29 Palms: http://www.29palms.usmc.mil/dirs/manpower/adj/1000/1020_11m.pdf

Quantico: http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/directives.aspx?Command=MCBQ then click on the tab for MCBO 1020.1E

Thats just a few, hope these help some of you.

nsfdmedic
05-13-08, 03:30 AM
I thought that we were always suppose to set the example for all the people under us. there are people who are unsat no matter what rank. reading the base regs is a good place to start, but really if you have a gunny tell you, you are unsat are you really going to disagree. no you are going to square yourself away.

NVRgoSOFTLY6531
05-13-08, 02:35 PM
I am stationed in Jacksonville, NC. If your hitting the beack sandals are okay if your in town they need to have a backing like the velcro ones (Teva is a good brand). Need to be wearing a belt at all times and the shirt needs to be appropriate (no foul language or "witty" sayings). There is MCAS New River, Camp Lejeune, and MCAS Cherry Point right up the road. It means a lot of Marines and you will get corrected if your out in town all jacked up. Like my uncle says (Korea Vet) ," If you dress like a woman ,guys will try to pick you up." haha just a joke anyhow follow regulations and you'll never have problems.
Semper Fidelis

Adam1988
05-13-08, 04:15 PM
I've never seen anyone have a problem with untucked shirts, but the flip flops are almost always a no-go. (Except for the beach, of course.)

Petz
07-25-08, 11:09 AM

A yes or no response would have been sufficient, the bases I’ve been to, <st1:state w:st="on">Hawaii</st1:state>, <st1:city w:st="on">Quantico</st1:city><st1>><st1>Camp</st1><st1> Pen</st1></st1> there wasn’t a problem with an untucked t-shirt or nice flops. I haven’t been to NC yet so I wasn’t sure.

you were at quantico and no one said anything to you about that? WOW.

2ndCEBSupply
07-25-08, 11:24 AM
Why is everyone entertaining this question their flip flops plain and simple the answer is NO it dosent matter if their A&F their flip flops

Achped
07-25-08, 11:27 AM

Alohhhaaa!

Petz
07-25-08, 11:29 AM
how about those aloha fridays? cut out every friday with work on the table or not BY 1300... not after.... before!!!

cake96861
07-25-08, 12:08 PM
Well I got to Jacksonville around the beginning of June. I was out at WalMart to get a few things. I was playing it safe with my polo shirt, shorts and tennis shoes. I was pleasantly surprised to see quite a number of people in flip flops, some had there shirts tucked in, but a majority of people had tshirts untucked, both young and older Marines. So my question has been answered.

Jacksonville has definitely changed alot in 9 years since I was here last for MOS school. The thing that shocked me the most is my wife went to the 7 day store by the TLF to get some things and she said there were guys in there with hats on, busted up, torn looking jeans, shorts and flip flops.

Petz
07-25-08, 12:13 PM
military brats can goto the 7 day store too you know....

that and spouses or boyfriends of Marines.

cake96861
07-25-08, 01:10 PM
That's true, but Ive heard a Lt talking about seeing Marines wearing hats inside the same 7 day store...But even if they are dependents they should at least take their hats off... the dress code applies to them as well.

Petz
07-25-08, 01:29 PM
yes it does and your wife and anyone else in there who are following the rules should tell them to correct themselves... if the disagree or talk back she should have them kicked out by talking to the manager... if they're Marines they'll get in big trouble if dependants then their sponser will.

semper fi

Big Jim
07-25-08, 02:14 PM
yes it does and your wife and anyone else in there who are following the rules should tell them to correct themselves... if the disagree or talk back she should have them kicked out by talking to the manager... if they're Marines they'll get in big trouble if dependants then their sponser will.

semper fi

HERE HE GOES AGAIN...MODERATERS...KEEP AN EYE ON THIS GUY PLEASE?? HE GOT PROMOTED TO SSGT. IN 8 YEARS OF SERVICE, HUH?? MMM-HMMM...

mcvet57103
07-25-08, 08:10 PM
That's true, but Ive heard a Lt talking about seeing Marines wearing hats inside the same 7 day store...But even if they are dependents they should at least take their hats off... the dress code applies to them as well.
Hats!!?? I thought Hats were for women. Don't they call them Covers anymore?:scared:

Petz
07-27-08, 01:16 PM
HERE HE GOES AGAIN...MODERATERS...KEEP AN EYE ON THIS GUY PLEASE?? HE GOT PROMOTED TO SSGT. IN 8 YEARS OF SERVICE, HUH?? MMM-HMMM...

yeah moderators, this guys doesn't know what he's talking about.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MESSAGES168.aspx

please read, doing a search for my name would be faster.

Big jim, you should know that the Marine Corps you knew isn't around anymore, there are SSgt's at 6 year in some MOSs.... get over it.

take care buddy.

Brewer0311
07-27-08, 01:50 PM
Hats!!?? I thought Hats were for women. Don't they call them Covers anymore?:scared:

I'm not positive but I think he meant a baseball hat. I definately could be wrong though. I know officers that call their cover a "hat" too. So, it could have been meant either way obviously.

mcvet57103
07-27-08, 02:53 PM
I'm not positive but I think he meant a baseball hat. I definately could be wrong though. I know officers that call their cover a "hat" too. So, it could have been meant either way obviously.That was levity. Ya know yuck yuck. Just tryin to keep it lite.:banana: And Big Jim I knew a guy in my time who went from Private to Sgt in two years. All Meritorious promos. Starting with PFC out of Boot. Heck he was probably a SSgt in 6 yrs. He was one squared away Marine. Took every MCI course he could, went to night school at the local college, and excelled at everything PFT, and Rifle qual he did. Maybe a bit of an over-achiever, but he wasn't a brown noser, and he is also the guy who got me my blood stripes. I was a LCpl with 2 yrs in service when he arived in my company a PFC. SF

SGT7477
07-27-08, 06:43 PM
That was levity. Ya know yuck yuck. Just tryin to keep it lite.:banana: And Big Jim I knew a guy in my time who went from Private to Sgt in two years. All Meritorious promos. Starting with PFC out of Boot. Heck he was probably a SSgt in 6 yrs. He was one squared away Marine. Took every MCI course he could, went to night school at the local college, and excelled at everything PFT, and Rifle qual he did. Maybe a bit of an over-achiever, but he wasn't a brown noser, and he is also the guy who got me my blood stripes. I was a LCpl with 2 yrs in service when he arived in my company a PFC. SF

We were told by our Staff NCO's if you don't pick up SSGT in 5 years you are wasting your time now that was way back in the middle 70's,lol.:flag:

Big Jim
07-27-08, 09:53 PM
yeah moderators, this guys doesn't know what he's talking about.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MESSAGES168.aspx

please read, doing a search for my name would be faster.

Big jim, you should know that the Marine Corps you knew isn't around anymore, there are SSgt's at 6 year in some MOSs.... get over it.

take care buddy.

THE MARINE CORPS I KNEW WILL ALWAYS BE AROUND...NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT CHANGES. I SURE AS HELL DON'T NEED A MARINE CORPS HISTORY LESSON FROM YOU. AND IF I ACTUALLY FOLLOWED AND DID WHAT STUPID PEOPLE TOLD ME TO DO...THAT WOULD MAKE JUST AS STUPID AS THEM, NOW WOULDN'T IT? IN OTHER WORDS...I'M NOT TRYING TO HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING...!!

THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU SHOW DISRESPECT HERE BY TELLING ANOTHER ONE OF MY BROTHERS TO SHUT UP...AND THINK AGAIN BEFORE YOU CALL ME BUDDY...I KNOW WHO AND WHAT YOU ARE FROM THE LAST TIME YOU WERE HERE AND BANNED...AND I SURE AS HELL AIN'T YOUR BUDDY...YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST STAYED GONE....

Petz
07-27-08, 09:58 PM
sure thing pal, using your logic that would make me stupid wouldn't it??

how 'bout you just ignore me like I'm trying to ignore you? If you don't reply to anything I say it's like I'm not even here. Semper get along.

Big Jim
07-27-08, 10:37 PM
sure thing pal, using your logic that would make me stupid wouldn't it??

how 'bout you just ignore me like I'm trying to ignore you? If you don't reply to anything I say it's like I'm not even here. Semper get along.

LIKE I SAID...WALK YOUR WAY AND I'LL WALK MINE...AND DON'T DISRESPECT ANYONE HERE AND I'LL TOLERATE YOU JUST FINE.. THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS JUST BE QUIET IF YOU HAVE A THOUGHT...NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR IT...

Petz
07-27-08, 10:41 PM
use your logic with why I made my comment in the first place. Maybe you'll see we don't have such different ideologies after all, just you seem to apply it differently.

Big Jim
07-27-08, 10:44 PM
use your logic with why I made my comment in the first place. Maybe you'll see we don't have such different ideologies after all, just you seem to apply it differently.

DAM YOU JUST CAN'T LEAVE IT ALONE CAN'T YOU...DROP IT BOY...!!!! I SURE AS HELL DON'T WANT TO DO THIS WITH YOU ANYMORE...I'M ABOVE THIS AND YOU...

Petz
07-27-08, 10:47 PM
*sigh*...

at least I found your problem.

FistFu68
07-27-08, 10:49 PM
:evilgrin: BECAUSE I GOT BUSTED 3TIMES MEAN'S I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GUNNY IN 5YR'S ACTIVE :D :iwo:

Petz
07-27-08, 10:53 PM
haha, at least you can say by chesty's standards you are a REAL Marine!! Semper Fi brother.

Big Jim
07-27-08, 11:11 PM
*sigh*...

at least I found your problem.

It'd be nice if you could have found your brains instead...oh wait a minute...you're sitting on them because your head is up your azz...!! If you had any honor at all, you'd stop...but I do remember who I'm talking to and there's no honor in anything you're doing or saying...too bad you don't realize it...the real victims are the people who believe your BS..!! Go back to Podunk or where ever it is your from...inbred swine...