PDA

View Full Version : DEP contracted/Need help please!

swiftpacer
04-29-08, 12:00 PM
I am currently in college waiting to ship out to PI. I will be doing Marine reserves and my MOS is 0331, eventhough I wanted to do aviation there were no reserve units in the Rochester,NY area, the nearest one was 400 miles away. Regardless, my main goal is to become a Marine and serve a country that has given me so many opportunities,and most importantly become an officer through the PLC program.Well the biggest obstacle is that I am not a citizen, but I hold a green card which has enabled me to Enlist.From what I have researched and heard from my recruiter and others I can apply for citizenship immediately after bootcamp or while I am in bootcamp. All this being possible because of the Presidents Executive Order of 2003. Well my question is to anyone who has had expirence with poolee's and recruits that are in the same sitution or have gone through it. Are my assumptions and that of my recruiter right? or if not what can I do to accomplish this goal of mine? I would really appreciate any suggestions or comments......

Thanks!

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-29-08, 01:03 PM
You aren't applying for anything at boot camp unless they tell you to do it in the first week you're there. The time constraint is simply too tight. You can apply when you get back home.

I'm a little troubled by you saying that the most important thing is to become an officer. If that doesn't work out for you, how are you going to react? Will you still be a good Marine reservist? Or are you going to be mad at the world and end up being less than stellar as an enlisted Marine?

sscjoe
04-29-08, 02:21 PM
go Active

BR34
04-29-08, 05:14 PM
I am currently in college waiting to ship out to PI. I will be doing Marine reserves and my MOS is 0331, eventhough I wanted to do aviation there were no reserve units in the Rochester,NY area, the nearest one was 400 miles away. Regardless, my main goal is to become a Marine and serve a country that has given me so many opportunities,and most importantly become an officer through the PLC program.Well the biggest obstacle is that I am not a citizen, but I hold a green card which has enabled me to Enlist.From what I have researched and heard from my recruiter and others I can apply for citizenship immediately after bootcamp or while I am in bootcamp. All this being possible because of the Presidents Executive Order of 2003. Well my question is to anyone who has had expirence with poolee's and recruits that are in the same sitution or have gone through it. Are my assumptions and that of my recruiter right? or if not what can I do to accomplish this goal of mine? I would really appreciate any suggestions or comments......

Thanks!

There's a Marine I work with that already has his BA and is working on his Masters. He's from Africa, and want's to become a officer, but he's having quite the time getting citizenship for whatever reason. It's not as easy as applying.

swiftpacer
04-29-08, 11:04 PM
I'm a little troubled by you saying that the most important thing is to become an officer. If that doesn't work out for you, how are you going to react? Will you still be a good Marine reservist? Or are you going to be mad at the world and end up being less than stellar as an enlisted Marine?

I don't think being enlisted is less than stellar at all. It is just as I have said my ultimate goal is to become an officer and go active. reservist or active I will always try to be a good Marine.......