PDA

View Full Version : Translator Detours On Road To U.S. Citizenship

thedrifter
04-29-08, 10:02 AM
Translator Detours On Road To U.S. Citizenship
Reporting
Mike Schuh

PARKVILLE, Md. (WJZ) ― Since the beginning of the War In Iraq, Marylanders have been on the front lines for their missions to succeed.

The soldiers and marines will tell you, they rely on Iraqi translators.

Mike Schuh reports, one translator who has saved the lives of U.S. soldiers is now taking a detour on his path to become a U.S. citizen.

The lives of Marines and soldiers often hang on the words spoken by a man not of their country, not of their culture, and not of their military.

Those lives usually depend on words spoken by men like Mustafa Abduella.

"I was their eyes, ears, the one who understands the culture," said Abduella.

An engineer by training, he believes in the mission U.S. troops are performing.

"It was probably the perfect match for me, my personality," said Abduella.

Three years ago he was assigned to a group of Maryland marines from Parkville.

"He was our lifeline," said Sgt. Tyler Allamong.

"Mustafa really had a gift that he was a cut above everybody else," said Sgt. Sean Lawlor.

He's escaped injury in 15 IED bombings. And while under fire, he carried a heavily bleeding officer to safety.

"Here's a guy in combat has saved the lives of fellow soldiers," said Sgt. Lawlor.

And day in and day out he kept troops moving when he heard or felt situations deteriorating.

"Can't find the words. He's that kind of guy. He's that guy, a hero," said Sgt. Allamong.

When Sgt. Lawlor rotated home, he was in tears.

"I thought I would never see him again...really upset to be leaving him behind," said Sgt. Lawlor.

In fact, after three years of being in danger, his luck and his family's luck ran out.

"I was threatened by groups to kill me, kill my family," said Abduella.

His Maryland marines helped him to apply for political asylum.

"It's a dreamland, land of opportunity," said Abduella.

Settled comfortably and safely in the U.S., Abduella is now about to do what few civilians would dare to.

"Going back on a couple months mission...support the troops there," said Abduella. And despite the possibility of injury and even death, he is determined to see the mission through. "I think I will die for a good reason," said Abduella.

"It does seem a little nutty to the average Joe, but to him, that's his homeland," said Sgt. Allamong.

It's back to the body armor, dust, danger and back to giving back to the United States.

"It's all about loyalty, brotherhood, connections. Can't walk away from all of that. They done for me probably more than I deserve," said Abduella.

If being an American means you're strong, honest and brave, when Abduella returns to the U.S., if he returns, he'll be in good company as a new citizen of this country.

"His appreciations for this country is much, much deeper than many, many people I know," said Sgt. Lawlor.

"He's an American born in Iraq," said Sgt. Allamong.

When he's in Iraq, though he may be just a few minutes from his home, Mustafa says he probably will not contact his mother and two sisters as his visit home might get them killed.

Mustafa left Monday from BWI Airport on his two month tour to Iraq.

When he returns, he hopes to get his green card. Four years from that point, he can apply to become a permanent U.S. citizen.

Ellie