PDA

View Full Version : About to enlist USMC, have some questions still

SSSmoke Eater
04-29-08, 12:19 AM
Well, I had thought about this last year but I sorta put it off as I was trying to focus on my civilian career. I have always had a huge desire to serve from growing up in a military household (Grandfather was a Full Bird USAF & Pops was an AF brat). I have civilian certs as a Firefighter 1&2, EMT , Paramedic 2 student, so I have been in the paramilitary setting for a while now.

I would be going in under the buddy program with another FF/EMT who is a great friend of mine that shares an undying love to become a marine. The MOS I am hoping to get is 7051 Aircraft Firefighting and Rescue Spec. because it goes hand in hand with my civilian job. I am really hoping that I will be able to get the MOS I am looking for and not get stuck with something I'm not signing up for. I have had alot of guys tell me that I should join USAF if I'm looking to be a firefighter but my heart is SET on the corps ever since high school due to many factors.

Well, now I am ready to enlist and have made my decision for good. I'm not sure if I should go in to sign soon or wait until August to be shipped out 30 days later to get my bonus. What are your thoughts on that? Positives...negatives??

Like I said, I have not signed anything yet because I am waiting to enlist and do the DEP or enlist within 30 days for the bonus. I hope to get my desired MOS 7051 and will make sure its guaranteed or else I will not sign. Thoughts on that?

Lastly, I need info on what to expect when going in to sign for the "real deal". I have gone in and talked to recruiters about 3 times (going again on Tuesday of next week) but never actually had the contract in front of me. For all of those who have enlisted, what is the ENTIRE process (including ASVAB, MEPS) upon signing the contract (ie papers)...things to be aware of and watch out for that you have for me.

Sorry for so many questions, I just like to be prepared for what I'm going into. BTW, I REALLY APPRECIATE your help on all this, your a great bunch of guys with excellent information and tolerance for people who keep bombarding you with questions. Hopefully, someday soon, I will be able to earn the title of U.S. MARINE:flag: Thanks for everything !!

davblay
04-29-08, 01:18 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

SSSmoke Eater
04-29-08, 08:41 AM
Thank you for posting that Sir, I just finished reading it.

AL49BGN
04-29-08, 09:06 AM
You Are Doing The Right Thing By Waiting And Getting Your Bonus.I Have Been Seperated From The Corps Since 1993 So I Can't Give Much Advice About The Availability Of Your MOS,but Good Luck Recruit.The Corps Has A Lot To Offer.

Newski45
04-29-08, 09:11 AM
I think you are doing the right thing by waiting to insure your job, but if you really have the desire to become a Marine then nothing should hold you back, especially a job. A jobs a job but being a Marine is forever.

SSSmoke Eater
04-29-08, 09:23 AM
I think you are doing the right thing by waiting to insure your job, but if you really have the desire to become a Marine then nothing should hold you back, especially a job. A jobs a job but being a Marine is forever.

I could not agree with you more. I am hoping to get the MOS I sign up for, but a job is not everything, however, The Marine Corps IS. No matter what job I get, like it or not, I will always make the best of it and be ever so proud to hold the title of U.S. Marine.

Newski45
04-29-08, 09:26 AM
Right....:flag:

Mindgame
04-29-08, 01:54 PM
When you are at MEPS, and your signing the final contract. REREAD EVERYTHING. Make sure your MOS, or anything you agreed upon is all there.

When we where getting our orders, they called out all the reservists. One kid raised his hand and said his name wasn't called. Well after looking at his contract, all the GnySgt said was " I hope you don't have anything planned for the next 4 years.

Other then that, there is nothing to worry about.

AL49BGN
04-29-08, 02:09 PM
Just remember recruit once you are in the fleet,we are all riflemen.Good luck and the private is right read your contract before you sign it.

SSSmoke Eater
04-29-08, 02:31 PM
Well, here is a question my friend who I would be doing the buddy program with keeps asking me. " If we go in as 7051 MOS and get it, is there any possibility of going into infantry"? He also asked me if this was true what he heard about " I heard you have to sign specifically for infantry and that is the only way they will put you there (besides failing an MOS school or something along those lines). Is this true?

contessojohn
04-29-08, 03:21 PM
SSSmoke Eater, I am another Firefighter looking to enlist in the Marines. From what I hear from on this site and other sources is that the Crash,Fire,Rescue is getting hard to get into. I was looking into it and I am leaning more towards a 03xx MOS as of now.

Darrell B
04-29-08, 04:07 PM
Well, here is a question my friend who I would be doing the buddy program with keeps asking me. " If we go in as 7051 MOS and get it, is there any possibility of going into infantry"? He also asked me if this was true what he heard about " I heard you have to sign specifically for infantry and that is the only way they will put you there (besides failing an MOS school or something along those lines). Is this true?
I'm int he DEP myself and all I can say is the Marine Corps will put you were THEY need you not were YOU want to go. Other then that get everything in writing and read over everything carefully. The ASVAB and physical are both really easy its just going to be a really long day.

-Poolee Brown

rvillac2
04-29-08, 04:27 PM

I guess you're not hearing us or you didn't read your other thread in Ask A Marine. When you sign up for Active Duty, you can get a gauranteed primary MOS field. In your case, you're looking at 70XX. That makes you eligible for 7011, 7041, and 7051. You are hoping for 7051, but as was already said, it is a very very very hard MOS to fall into. You cannot be specifically promised 7051.

Only under extraordinary circumstances will the Corps alter the MOS choice that is promised in your contract. Those circumstances are listed in the contract. The most common reason for the alteration is a failure at the MOS school.

Although every Marine is a basic rifleman, the 03's are full time shooters. It is unlikely that you will be dropped among them if they were not your first choice. (Yes, I know VietVets, you'll disagree, but yours was a different time).

KevinR90
04-29-08, 09:20 PM
I'm curious though, is it possible a person wanting to join says "If you can gurantee me this job, I will join" and the recruiter is able to put it in their contract- that they will definatley get that job- as long as they don't fail that MOS school or something else that disqualifies them?

So in my case- could he say "You WILL be a CH-46 crew chief..... as long as you pass all requirements"? Otherwise I'd just have a chance at getting that specific platform.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-29-08, 09:31 PM
No, that is not possible. You get to pick your field and that is it. You cannot try to bully your way into an MOS. You are placed according to the needs of the Corps not your own needs or desires.

If you think you have to have a particular MOS then go reserve. You can pick then, but you have to live near a location that has the MOS you're wanting.

KevinR90
04-30-08, 05:28 PM
thanks- i was just curious. I'll be happy with whatever I get. I'll just be happier with certain ones :D